ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Backpacking/car camping reading list

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 4/18/2004, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Backpacking/car camping reading list Reply to topic Reply with quote

In another thread its' mentioned "luxury" items when backpacking. I thought about posting there but want to elaborate more on the above subject. One luxury item for me is some sort of light weight reading material especially if I'm out for several days.
Here is a list a brief description of some good wilderness reads--- and light enough to be packed:

My Canyonlands by Kent Frost-
Set around Blanding and Bluff Utah he describes an idyllic time of exploration and adventure- example; he and his brothers set off to climb Mt Peale; with their parents blessing. They are 11,8 and 6 years old. Mt Peale is over 12,000 feet tall. They do it alone.
Another time as a young man he and a cousin leave a family picnic and return over a month later- hiking some 80 miles, then rafting down Glen Canyon and then hitchhiking back from Lees' Ferry. A great read.

Sandstone Sunsets: In Search of Everett Ruess by Mark A Taylor-
the author is really intrigued and digs into all the theories regarding Everett's disappearance outside of Escalante Utah all the while being drawn into the wild beauty of the land. One of several books I have on Everett and his life.

Car Camping by Mark Sundeen-
A crazy irreverant book about a California house painter who decides to have an adventure and bum around the 4 corners with hysterical and accurate observations about the desert and its' denizens. Quote-" A lot of people from big cities are moving into spiritual towns like Sedona and Telluride where they can be Themself and get in touch with the Earth. A good spiritial town should have some Indians within 100 miles and good skiiing or mountain biking within ten."

Robbers Roost Recollections by Pearl Baker-
Her father was one of the first to homestead the area near the Maze of Canyonlands in Utah. An incredible story of a young girl growing up in wild conditions- the family living in tents as they followed their cattle, "cowboy etiquette"- even among outlaws, and a casual ride over to visit the neighbors- only taking 4 days on horseback. Interesting daily details of life and how things were done before electricity, running water or refrigeration.

In Search of the Old Ones by David Roberts-
the ultimate Anasazi book in my opinion. The author seems obsessed with following the trail of the old ones and hiking and rapelling into canyons well and little known. Wonderful descriptive narrative of his trips and interviews with researchers and native americans.

The Man Who Walked Through Time- Colin Fletcher-
considered by many to be the father of backpacking. His Grand Canyon traverse. Enough said. His book "River" is a great read too.

Car Camping reads- too heavy for the pack unless you're a masochist--

The Secret Knowledge of Water and the Soul of Nowhere by Craig Childs- Just awesome reads- he lives the life I can only dream of-- out in the deserts for months on end and seeing sights and having insights most of us can only wonder about. I'll buy any book he writes.

Kingdom of the Country by James Conaway-
A special book I paid $4.00 for at a book sale. The author travels the west meeting people and trying to reconcile the "New West" with old tradition and ways. A lot of "rugged individuals" in this book still living the life, as they say.

Searches In the American Desert by Sheila Cowling-
Another book bargain steal. She covers eight quests in the American desert, from the search for "Cibola" to the search for atomic supremacy at Los Alamos, to Richard Wetherill and his searches regarding the ancient ones. Contains one of the best quotes I've ever read regarding mans desire for exploration, even in our modern world.

All My Rivers Are Gone by Katie Lee-
Katie is still kicking high up in Jerome by our last email. Her book is a must for those of us that wonder what Glen Canyon was like before Lake Powell. As the Lake level is down some of the canyons are being revealed piece by piece. A book you can read over and over and appreciate floating a river where all was paradise as far as you could see.

These are my favorites out of my library. Of course I am always on the lookout for more good reads.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 4/18/2004, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great list. Great flower pics in the Gallery also.
AZBrad123

PostPosted: 4/19/2004, 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have one suggestion. Not about hiking specifically but a great read. It is mostly about different desert/outdoor items in AZ, and was written by a gentlemen in Tucson, who coincidentantly was a good friend of mines gradeschool science teacher.??

The blue desert by Charles Bowden

http://www.uapress.arizona.edu/books/bid53.htm

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0816510814/inktomi-bkasin-20/ref%3Dnosim/102-8866129-2846555
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 4/19/2004, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Starchart.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 4/30/2004, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I recommend "Deep Enough" by Frank Crampton. A great read about the mining industry in these parts, explains a lot about the business of those old mine workings you come across while hiking.
Lizard

PostPosted: 5/3/2004, 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you like "The Man who Walked through Time," try looking for "the Thousand-Mile Summer." Its out of print but worth the effort to find. IMO its the best of Colin Fletcher's books.

Some other Good Books:
"Into A Desert Place," Graham Mackintosh
"The Great Divide," Stephen Pern
"The Ultimate Journey," Erik Ryback
"The Longest Walk," George Meegan
"High Summer: Backpacking the Canadian Rockies," Chris Townsend (also out of print)
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: