ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Any recommendations for somebody new to the area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesallenaz

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Any recommendations for somebody new to the area Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi ... I'm new to PHX hiking scene ... and would love to see some more of the outdoors .... recommendations ... or a tag-a-long would be appreciated. I've been up to Sedona where the pink jeeps get in the way ... surely there are some less commercialized hiking spots around!

James Smile
dimonfire

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 3:42 pm    Post subject: For someone new to the area Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with the Superstitions. It's close to the valley and there are a lot of trails that don't have a lot of traffic. Bluff Springs is a 10 miler but if you want shorter ones, that can be done too. Just pick up a hiking guide and remember that a compass in the Sups helps, a lot. As for Sedona, Secret Canyon or other west Sedona hikes are less travelled.
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

1) Lost Dutchman State Park has several trails including the Siphon Draw Trail to Flatiron. ( Superstition Mountains )

2)South Mountain Park has tons of trails.

3)Else you could always climb the trail up Camelback Mtn or Squaw Peak
RockCrawler

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welcome to the valley. And, welcome to our little piece of digital haven. For some real easy intro hiking in the east valley check out Usery Mountain Park in Mesa. We like Wind "Cave" Trail alot. Ditto what gps says. For me and my wife the Superstitions are a hiking Mecca, we can't get enough of them, you'll see.
jamesallenaz

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks ... a little more info please Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do the local book stores carry a 'hiking guide' ... or is parks and recs a better source ... and which way are the superstition mountains ... east out HWY 60??

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Contact, we have contact Reply to topic Reply with quote

jamesallenaz wrote:
... and which way are the superstition mountains ... east out HWY 60??
Excuse us for being terribly dumb but can't you SEE the Supes from where you live? They are a very prominent volcanic formation to the east. Surely you can SEE them! Follow your eyes!

J&S
jamesallenaz

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 7:42 pm    Post subject: OK Reply to topic Reply with quote

So what are the little mountains to the South? Question
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I found a book called "Day Hikes Trail and Rides In And Around Phoenix" at Fry's. I'm sure its sold elswhere too. It has most of the major trails in and around Phoenix. It is missing a few trails recently opened and does not show anything off trail. It will give you a clue as to what is around here.
I would say to check Barns and Noble Book Store, It has all different sort of hiking books there for Arizona and Phoenix.

A hike I highly recommend is the Wind Cave trail in Usery Mountain Park. Don't quit your hike at Wind Cave. Contunue up a hikers trail to the top of the pass and follow the ridge north for about a mile to the peak of Pass Mountain. It's secluded and the views are increadible. The only downside is it has a $5 to get into the park Sad

If you like to go on group hikes you can join us on some sometimes, right now it seams like there are hikes almost everyweekend. Wink

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jamesallenaz, Welcome to the Valley. I'd recommend you check out World of Maps in Mesa. They've got a ton of great maps and books plus the staff is knowledgeable about the area. At night look to the south and you'll see a bunch of red lighted radio/TV antennas. Those sit in South Mountain park. There's a lot of trails there. If you look SouthWest you'll see the Sierra Estrellas. The Hiker's Guide to the Superstition Wilderness is a good book. I also like Exploring Arizona's Wild Areas. Have fun and good hiking.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi Jamesallenaz. Welcome to the site and to Arizona! The mountains to the south that you mentioned are probably the San Tans. There is a new regional park there, you can get info at this site: http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/santan/

All of the books previously mentioned are excellent. Head for any of the major books stores like Barnes & Noble, Borders, or Bookstar. Each of those have a local section and you'll find a number of hiking guides for the state there. You'll also find a nice selection at REI and Popular Outdoors.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/23/2003, 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
The Hiker's Guide to the Superstition Wilderness is a good book.

This is absolutely the book you should get - all of us Superstition addicted explorers swear by it!! Have fun! Mr. Green
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/23/2003, 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

and which way are the superstition mountains ... east out HWY 60??

Don't feel to bad for not knowing where they are. When I moved down here I did not know where they were either. I thot they were some range of mountains way in the middle of nowhere. I did not realize they were just on the other side of Mesa/Apache Junction.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
ck1

PostPosted: 1/23/2003, 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are dozens of hiking guides for the valley area. I have a few I prefer, one was mentioned earlier. Although most of their guides are crap in my opinion, Falcon has a small book titled Easy Day Hikes in Phx....it's a good start.

Living in the valley you are surrounded by hiking areas...to the northeast are the McDowells and Usery and Phx Mountain Preserve is due north...central Phx has camelback and squaw peak (very popular hikes)...to the west are the White Tanks, to the South West are the Estrellas, due south is South Mtn park, the san tans are south east, far east is the Sups...each of these areas has trails...as for knowing which one is which, noone should expect a new-comer to the valley to know where everything is yet...the parks website Mike linked is a good start, as is REI, which carries most of the hiking guides, Popular has a smaller selection, but also carries books...you might want to read some of the posts on the trip long...maybe one will catch your eye

"The Journey is the Destination"
jamesallenaz

PostPosted: 1/23/2003, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks ... again to ALL Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hope to see some of you running around out there ... but not too many at one time .. :>

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: