ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Any Geocachers out there? Rev. 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy

PostPosted: 3/6/2006, 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well they got me. I doubt if it was someone we know but someone with the same rural mentality.
Heres the email I received thru Geocaching.com

C&P
I found the cache at Valley Vista today. It has 4-5 bullet holes
through it. Probably won't survive a rain (if there ever is one). The log
is shot (a pun). What I am saying is, I think it needs some looking
after (I couldn't figure out how to spell maintenence.)
This is a great location, Thanks for the cache.
I left the cache past the boulder with the scuttle hole under it. Under
a small rock. Your coords were right on.

And heres the last entry on the site:

With tears in my eyes, I am doing the LTF dance (Last to Find). The cowboys used the Altoids tin for shooting practice. There was only confetti inside instead of a log.
Took nothing (obviously), left a card (pen doesn't work). This is a great location but I think it attracts too many red nosed trashers.

AZKOBY

I will replace this cache!
and someone will probably destroy it again Rolling Eyes
and it was NOT in a Wilderness area

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
azhiker96

PostPosted: 3/6/2006, 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It is a shame that your properly placed cache was destroyed. I agree that is was not by anyone who has posted here since it was left there and not in a wilderness area. The fact that it was left to trash up the environment shows the perpetrators were knuckle-dragging mouth breathers. If you check nearby you'll probably find a half dozen cigarette butts and empty beer cans.
Andy

PostPosted: 3/6/2006, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
The fact that it was left to trash up the environment shows the perpetrators were knuckle-dragging mouth breathers. If you check nearby you'll probably find a half dozen cigarette butts and empty beer cans.

I will go up there this week and clean up the mess(I would have done it already but I hurt my back a couple weeks ago Crying or Very sad ) and maybe move the cache slightly and update the coords.

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 3/6/2006, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your cache. I did some cacheing a few years ago with a friend. We placed one on Sitgreaves Mountain July '04 and it STILL hasn't been visited. I guess I'm not too surprised, as the log book up there hadn't been signed in almost 2 years! It is not an easy cache to get to. Mary
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/11/2009, 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I finally got around to it--the computer part of it, that is. I downloaded a geocache location from geocache.com onto my GPS. Now for me, that was the hard part! (In memory of our friend, Hooli, I have to add the following comment: "12:00 12:00 12:00") For me the easy part is probably going to be hiking out to the area, pushing the "find" button and finding the geocache.

I want to learn this because of that summer job I applied for. I was going to go out there this morning to find the cache. But it is snowing, and the roads are very slick, so I am staying home.

I can see where this could be fun for families, my kids would have liked it when they were young, but after reading this whole thread, which started about 3 years ago, I have to agree that it looks as though there are quite a few problems with the hobby. I wonder, too, if its popularity has waned? Any thoughts? Any advice? Any websites I should be checking out besides geocaching.com?
threedogz

PostPosted: 4/11/2009, 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I still geocache occasionally. My daughter loves it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: