ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Map of Chiricahuas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9hiker

PostPosted: 3/25/2004, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Map of Chiricahuas Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm looking for a good map of the Chiricahua Wilderness, that shows trails as well as topos. Does such a thing exsist?

Thanks
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/25/2004, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would contact the Douglas Ranger District of the Coronado National Forest. http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/douglas/index.html
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 3/25/2004, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jamie- There used to be a topo map with trails overlaid on it with mileage for the Wilderness. Mine is long gone. Check with Wide World of Maps. The Forest Service maps may be available online, I know the Mazatzal one is on the Tonto NF website. As you do your planning, feel free to PM me if you want specific USGS quads. I don't have the software for that area, but do still have a number of the 7.5 minute quadrants, that I can full size copy.

The Rucker Lake area, and Leslie Canyon Road east from there into New Mexico is heavily patrolled by the Border Patrol due to very high levels of illegal immigrant traffic. I would not go solo. In fairness to them I've not heard of any personal danger to people, but vehicle or property theft is a bigger concern. The Turkey Creek, Cave Creek and Rustler Park areas are a bit more removed from those traffic areas.

The trails are mostly very well laid out and signed, easy to follow. Most were built by the old CCC in the 1930s.

Be especially careful with foodstuffs both on the trails and in campgrounds. This is a significant bear population area. They recognize and welcome the sight of a large Coleman cooler in a locked vehicle as well, so try to keep such out of sight. I understand the bears around Rustler Park have, on occasion, broken into cars and helped themselves to cans of cold beer. Never happened to me, thankfully. Be careful of your dogs too. Bears are typically afraid of dogs, since they are tracked and hunted by folks using larger scent hounds (Black and Tans, Blue Ticks, and the like). Nellie, the 22 pound beagle I used to have, hiked extensively in there and ran one up a tree. I was kinda upset and explained to her that while chasing the bear was sport, catching the bear was trouble.

It is a great, great piece of world class beauty- one of Arizona's hidden treasures. I understand why Cochise and his tribe fought so long to keep it. It's amazing to hike in a place with bears, coatamundi, thick billed parrots, jaguar, spruce trees and aspen at 9500 feet--all within 25 miles of Old Mexico. -R
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/25/2004, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dang CV, when can we leave? You make is sound so good.
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 3/25/2004, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Portal R.D. sells recent updated maps of the area. I bought a Rainbow Expeditions map of the area a few years back at Popular for about $5. I've seen it at the Map of Worlds in Mesa recently but I'd spend the extra $ and get the new map. The fire did some major damage to the upper portions of the range and some of the trails are gone.
k9hiker

PostPosted: 3/25/2004, 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike,
I have checked the NF website and it only lists trails by name in the area, not much else about them and it looks like it was last updated by the Douglas RD in 2000 or 2001.

CV, thank you for you info. My next stop for map info is the Public Lands office. I forgot about WWof Maps. I'm never down that way and always forget about them.

I agree with Red, your post makes me even more eager to get down there, all but the part abou the illegals!

Thanks roam, i will check with the Portal RD too.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/26/2004, 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

k9hiker wrote:

Mike,
I have checked the NF website and it only lists trails by name in the area, not much else about them and it looks like it was last updated by the Douglas RD in 2000 or 2001.

Yep I checked, too. That would be why I said "contact". The contact information is on that page.
Lizard

PostPosted: 3/26/2004, 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Southern Arizona Hiking Club puts out a regularly updated map of the Chiricahuas, which is published by Rainbow Expeditions. You can find it in any outfitter in the Tucson area. In Phoenix, you will probably have to go to Wide World of Maps. Cost is $4.
k9hiker

PostPosted: 3/26/2004, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh thank you Mike. I was reading past my bed time!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/27/2004, 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

k9hiker wrote:

I do that a lot, too! Laughing Sleeping
Kim

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
k9hiker wrote:

I do that a lot, too! Laughing Sleeping

well, yah! look at the time you wrote this email! 5:30 am. I assume this is what you do to start your day? if not, you sure go to sleep late! Surprised
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

well, yah! look at the time you wrote this email! 5:30 am.
Well Duh! It was a saturday morning, I got up early to go hiking! On that particular day, I hiked the Ballantine Trail with HikerInGilbert! Agree http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/album.php?a=albun67
Kim

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oh, yah. I didn't look at the day. Exclamation looks like that was worth getting up for!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, it's a great hike! We need to schedule it as a group hike sometime. I'd like to do it from Four Peaks Road to the Beeline or vice-versa. I believe Sidhayes knows a route to make a loop of it using the Picadilla Trail(?).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: