ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
FR 42 near Portal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9hiker

PostPosted: 3/25/2004, 4:40 pm    Post subject: FR 42 near Portal Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm hoping to do some hiking to Sentinel peak and Snowshed peak (Chiricahua Wilderness) later in the year and was looking at accessing them from the South Fork Trail (243). All maps I have found say this TH is off of FR 42. I'm curious what the road conditions are from Rustler Park toward Portal and down to this TH and the upper campgrounds of John Hands and Herb Martyr? Also, has anyone been on trail 243 recently? The info. on the FS site is from 2000 or 2001.

Thanks
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 3/25/2004, 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jamie: I missed this post and responded to the other....If you are going in from the Herb Martyr area, going on I-10 to Steins/Roadforks NM, and south on the paved highway to the Portal turnoff is way faster than going thru Rustler. The Pinery Canyon Road climbes about 4,000 feet and crosses the ridgeline at Onion Saddle before dropping down to Portal. Rustler and Barfoot Parks are actually about 3 miles off the main road. From Wilcox to the Pinery Canyon Road is about 45 miles of slow two lane, and the dirt road to Portal via Onion Saddle is passable by a passenger car, but very narrow and slow. Its also far prettier than the faster route via New Mexico, but if you are just trying to get there quick, thats an issue as well. It's been a few years since I've been there. I drove a 2WD Nissan pickup into all those places, no problem. I'd call the Douglas RS and see if there is any snow at Rustler or on the Pinery Canyon Road. Large portions are on north facing slopes, so snow may linger there, if indeed they got any this year (primary precipitation is July-September there. Cochise County used to grade the Pinery Canyon and Rustler Park roads as a courtesy to the FS, not sure if they do that anymore or not.

If you decide to go via Wilcox, Dos Cabesas, and Pinery Canyon, be sure to take a couple hours and at least drive up to Masai Point in Chiricahua National Monument. It is paved and worth the trip just on its own. -R
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 3/25/2004, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was over this route quite a bit this fall- I did FR 42 from Willcox side over to Portal and back in my Cherokee in 2WD. I saw cars on this road- its rough but ok if carefully driven. I also took Hands Pass off FR 42- that was a bit more exciting and definitely 4wd off the "other side".
I car camped back there and hiked- had no bear problems. I've hiked back in the South Fork of Cave Creek- a spectacular area in fall.
I plan to do some stuff in Rucker Canyon- and I do most of my hiking solo. When hiking in So Cal saw lots of illegal immigrants (street clothes, loafers and gallon water jugs- dead giveaway) and have never had any trouble. But I know quite a few border patrol agents too in that area.
I just say go but be careful and try not to go alone.
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 3/25/2004, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I stayed a night at Herb Martyr CG last summer, the road to it was easily do-able in a car and we had the CG to ourselves, we came in from N.M.. We ran into a couple of trail guys for Coronado NF and heard they have problems with illegals and drug runners in the South Fork area and that you may also run into Mojave green rattlers there. I asked about the S. Fork trail toward Sentinel Peak since I read the 94 fire did damage to the trail and was told rockfalls have obsurred the trail but it is cairned. You can also access Sentinel Peak from the Rucker Canyon area. We did the 1st 3 miles of the Rucker Canyon trail on another trip and can't wait to go back. It's heavily wooded along a flowing creek, we went to the point were it starts to climb out of the Canyon so I can't say what it looks like after that point. For Snowshed Peak you can make a loop out of it by hiking the Greenhouse/Crest/Snowshed trails from Herb Martyr CG. That may be too long for a day hike (15 miles +4000') and from Snowshed Peak to the Crest trail the trail was non-existant. The fire ravaged that area. Wynn Falls is off the Greenhouse trail and worth checking out and is something to see with good flow. Hope this helps...
k9hiker

PostPosted: 3/26/2004, 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My plan was to do a car shuttle backpack trip with vehicles as Rustler Park and at the Herb Martyr CG. The hike would start from Rustler taking the Crest trail, hit Flys Peak, Chiricahua peak, then on to Snowshed peak and out along Snowshed trail #246 to the ?TH near Herb CG. I'm just in the explorative stage of my planning right now, hence my quesitons, and I'm not even sure this is possible. I will have to check trail conditions and distances first. From Roam's post it sounds like getting to the Showshed trail from the crest trail might not be possible or my require a lot of route finding????

Good info. guys, thanks
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 3/26/2004, 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It' a short cross country hike of about 1/4-1/2 mile to connect the Crest trail to Snowshed Peak thru burnt forest. You can see the Peak from the Crest trail so you know where you've got to go.
k9hiker

PostPosted: 3/26/2004, 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is there not a trail to the top (of Showshed) then?

How burnt are we talking? Recent burn, like within a year?
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 3/27/2004, 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The fire was in 94 and one of the 1st modern fires like we had in the Catalina's last year from years of poor forest management. It burned for about a month and burnt I believe 40% of the wilderness. You can get to Snowshed Peak from the Herb Martyr CG on a combo of trails thru burnt forest. It's about a 6 mile trip and 4000' gain. From the CG take the Herb Martyr trail a short distance to the Basin trail. From this intersection take a left and climb up for 2-3 miles to the JCT of the Snowshed Peak trail, go right. Portal is a wonderful scenic place and worth the drive. If you go to the west side of the wilderness (Turkey Creek Road FR41) there's little fire damage and you can drive the road in a car.
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 3/27/2004, 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I forgot to mention I've used the Falcon Guide "Hiking Arizona's Cactus Country" by Erik Molvar in planning my trips to the Chiricahua's. Although I've found a few errors he's done a pretty good job on the book. I haven't been able to find any other recent info on the area besides that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: