ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Headlamps
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Re-examined the headlight issue tonight while listening to the presentation on rafting...going with the Black Diamond moonbeam...four led lights horizontal, adjustable angle, over the head strap, battery pack, 70 hours of burn time with 30 ft distance...best aspect, burn regulator...full power light until batteries die, whereas the Tikka will gradually decrease light power...

just passing it along...

"The Journey is the Destination"
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Colin.....guess it's time to start building my REI dividend for this year Rolling Eyes
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
Re-examined the headlight issue tonight while listening to the presentation on rafting...going with the Black Diamond moonbeam...four led lights horizontal, adjustable angle, over the head strap, battery pack, 70 hours of burn time with 30 ft distance...best aspect, burn regulator...full power light until batteries die, whereas the Tikka will gradually decrease light power...

just passing it along...

How was that presentation? Mr. Finkbine was a history teacher at Arcadia High School and although I went to Alhambra I had the opportunity to be under his instruction when I attended a NDEA History Institute at ASU in the summer of 1965; got to meet other students from around the valley. He was an outstanding teacher and at the end of the program we had a swimming blast at his house in the Arcadia area.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
How was that presentation?

Well, hard to say...we kinda zoned in and out of his presentation as we played..er..examined the headlamps. Large crowd. He had a few beautiful photos, but otherwise no a/v...he basically strung a bunch of stories together...and he had a book for sale...I glanced through it...included poetry, photos, somewhat unorthodox looking book...titled something like When Smoke Roars...sorry, that's about it...we didn't stay for the whole presentation.,

"The Journey is the Destination"
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/23/2003, 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use a piece of red saran wrap to cover my lights at night to save my night vision.
Daryl

PostPosted: 2/24/2003, 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My head lamp of choice is the black diamond gemini. it has a high beam and a low beam. the low beam is great for night hiking and the batteries are good for 1000 hours of use on low beam! The high beam is plenty bright and good for when more light is needed (mountain biking, setting up a tent, digging in the pack...). In high beam mode it's good for 7 hours. There are also alternate bulbs you can get for it to trade battery life for brightness. It's also durable, water proof, comfortable, and has a block for the switch so it won't turn on in your pack.

I've had mine for a year now, use it a lot, and I'm still on the first set of batteries.

PostPosted: 2/24/2003, 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I bought the Gemini last week and used it on three night hikes. I like the two bulb design, LED for upclose and battery save and halogen for beam. I did not think a two AA battery light would be adequate but I am very pleased with the light.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: