ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Electrolyte Replacement Caps -Succeed Caps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Electrolyte Replacement Caps -Succeed Caps Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anyone ever used any electrolyte replacement caplets. I read about the Succeed caps on Adventurehiking.com I was wondering how well they work or if anyone knows of any good things that can be purchased locally for a long distance, all day long endurance event.
-TIM-
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have tried them and for me they didn't work as well as the powdered electrolytes. I like the Gookinaid for taste best, not as sweet as the others. I buy them directly from the Manufacturer in large tub, most economical. When I hike in the warmer weather now I take one 100 oz. bladder of water and another 100 oz. bladder of gookinaid mixture for hikes longer than 10 miles. If it's a shorter hike I just bring a bladder (100oz) of Gookinaid mixture. Works best for me. www.gookinaid.com

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, I have had no experience with the caplets. What I would recommend is a much cheaper alternative, vitamins from Safeway. As far as pills go though I just dont have any background

HOWEVER!! There is a product sold at Hi-Health called Colloidal Minerals by Ultra Plan (hi-health's logo)
These colloidal minerals are slowly yet effectively absorbed giving maximum performance for a liquid based delivery.
70 different minerals at just the right percentage.
These minerals include Calcium magnesium phosphorus bromine indium selenium and tungsten to name a few and are all derived from PLANT MATTER, not clay or ground up rocks. This is very important in ease of digestion.
A substantial improvement in your energy, stamina, and concentration will be seen after a few days. I paid $30 for two-1quart bottles. A 2 month supply. Also good for a hangover, Ive heard Mr. Green

what i do
evenstar

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with GB. Back when I was running, Gookinaid was almost always what they passed out at the support stations along the way. Not as sweet as Gatoraid. I mix one part Gookinaid to three parts water in my 100oz bladder.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I currently use the Succeed capsules Tim. They are $10 buck a bottle for 100. I noticed a marked increase in my stamina and leg muscle response the first time out. I have a problem with my leg muscles cramping up on me if I don't keep my electrolyte levels up.

The only trouble with the capsule form, is that you have to remember to take them at 1-2 hour intervals depending on the amount of sweat your body produces. I do prefer the capsule form though, because I noticed that I had to clean out my hydration bladders more often with the powder and liquid stuff. I usually also carry a lightweight 32oz bottle of Gatorade on most hikes anyways.

I'm one of those folks that sweats quite a bit on any length hike. I'm pretty happy with the Succeed stuff so far.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll have to pick up some of the Gookinaid. Gatoraid being to sweet was one of my concerns for a long trip.

Tom, do you know if there is a place that you can pick up the Succeed caps locally or can you only order them. I was hoping to use them this weekend so I guess I could overnight it if I had to.
-TIM-
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother this time Tim. I've seen Gookinaid at REI before. Maybe they still offer it. I'll bring some of the Succeed caps along to Reavis the following weekend and let you try them out first. How does that sound?
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, REI sells out of Gookinaid fast and when they do carry it it's mostly in the small packets at around $1.20 compared when you buy the gookinaid directly from the Manufacturer at $9.80 for 35oz.= 80 servincs or five gallons. So it's a lot cheaper to get the 35oz can.

GB
PS maybe I should buy stock in gookinaid Laughing
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Sun Hiker, I'll have to give them a call. I know I saw it there before so I just figured they would have it no problem.
-TIM-
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/27/2004, 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, I forgot to mention that Hi-health sells a product know as "Ultra Fuel". This is an activity and energy replacement drink, the 16 oz. bottle has 33% of carbs and uses a long chain glucose polymer, thus giving it 400 calories a serving. This stuff is the bomb, I drink it when I go skateboarding and it keeps me going all night... (various flavors grape is best IMO) There is also the powdered mix, same ingredients and unlike gatorade, it DOES boost performance. Gatorade is just flavored sugar water. Gookinade i havent tried, but what you are looking for is an acceptable amount of natural sugars and carbs (energy). I drank a 16 oz. bottle of UltraFuel before the Barnhardt trail and Mary thought I was a "maverick". Razz

what i do

PostPosted: 3/29/2004, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Popular sells Gookinaid and they always have it, the one in Tempe does anyway.
LongStoryShort

PostPosted: 9/23/2005, 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I personally think that Accelerade is the best stuff out there.
pfredricks

PostPosted: 9/23/2005, 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim-
Try them all.
I think it will just boil down to which one you like the best taste wise.
Electrolytes you mainly need are potassium and sodium and to a lesser extent calcium. You also need glucose to run those muscles. Caffeine could also help. (think about how much a power gel helps out when you need a boost)
I think for the long hikes, hyponatremia is the main concern (low salt) Sweating, causes most of your electrolyte loss. Eating something like peanut butter crackers, or an ELECTROLYTE replacement of ANY kind should be more than sufficient.
Gatorade is NOT just sugar water. Gatorade does provide a nice amount of sugar for explosive energy, and some electrolytes in reasonable quantities. I also think people drink a bit too much water sometimes, which also causes the body to use up electrolytes.
Peeing uses up potassium and sodium.
Also dont forget to eat regularly throughout your hiking. Maybe something with an easily usable glucose and stored carbs, like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. jelly is quick energy, bread and peanut butter will keep you going later.

Hope that helps.
-Pete
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 9/23/2005, 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Been using http://www.traceminerals.com/products/stamina.html lately and it works well. Great for backpacking when volume and weight is important.

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: