ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Once More Across the Wastelands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 3/12/2004, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Once More Across the Wastelands Reply to topic Reply with quote

When I go to Page I like to strike out in some strange direction. This time I wanted to revisit a place I went to last year. This is the sort of terrain I revel in. I feel so much a part of this planet when I am in the harsh empty places. This took place yesterday, 3-11-04.

Five photos

So I struck out across the vast wastelands on a compass bearing toward my mark.

There is no sound out here save the wind. There are few plants and the ones that do exist have to protect themselves. Prickly Pear all have some sort of spines but this variety has gone way overboard to keep from being eaten.

The land is magic. In it's simplicity there are endless variations.

Finally I reach my goal and look over the edge. The waterline has dropped considerably since last year. I want to see over but don't want to end up down there. It is sheer once the little tinaja just over the lip is passed.

Here is what I see.

I don't think this shows the scale quite well enough. It is way down there. All the walls here are huge but this is the one place I have found where I can go down the farthest. I did not make it back to the room till after dark, picked up the pilot and went out for Italian. That is one of my favorite ways to spend a day.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/12/2004, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen,

Fabulous pictures!!!! Sounds and looks like a great day. Thanks for sharing it!

Mr. Green

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/12/2004, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I recognize that spot Glen!!!! Do you spose you will get the same comment here that you got last time you posted pictures of that location? Are those the climbing rings on the top there? It looks like they are squashed climbing rings.....

I want to shine!
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What amazing pictures, thanks for sharing these with us. My dream is to get there soon I hope and experience this incredible place in person.

Gabriele
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments!

That is the same place I went last year and the metal anchor is still there, I'm just covering it. The waterline is way, way down now. Another thing, I'm wearing the same clothes as last year. Kudos to Supplex nylon, the stuff lasts forever. I do have the Mountainsmith Wraith instead of the Bora 40 and my footwear is changed as well. Mr. Green

This is just one little vignette in this vast area. There are so many places to find on your own out in this landscape. Of course the popular places will be packed this coming season. People from all over the world are coming in droves.
ck1

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

wow.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen, awesome, per usual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: