ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Trekking poles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
phrankster

PostPosted: 1/17/2003, 11:52 am    Post subject: Trekking poles Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've seen quite a few people using Trekking (or sticks), I've never used any and was wondering. Chin Scratching now that I'm getting on a little in age Eek that I might want to look at the pros and cons of using them. Having said that, what is everyones elses opinons were on using them, advantages or disadvantages? Shades
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 1/17/2003, 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I bought a pair last summer and I love them. I use them on all hikes. If I have to scramble and/or boulder some, I just compact them and shove 'em into the pack. They take a lot of work off of my legs and at my age that is a good thing. I have been pounding the basketball court two or three times a week for the last thirty odd years, not to mention hikes and backpacks for the last seven. They are excellent for fording streams and keeping your balance in precarious situations.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/17/2003, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I scoffed at them for years, relied on my $2.98 hoe handle. Then a knee went bad, and to stem the tide of age, I bought a pair and made myself use them. I still don't care for them, but my knees love them, so we clatter and rattle down the trail like some bizarre praying mantis apparition. Whatever it takes.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/17/2003, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I used to hike with a stick. I don't anymore cuz it broke and I never found another one that was worth while. Sad
I found it to have alot of advantages hiking in Colorado above tree line where the rocks are loose and its easy to slip. I would use it alot to break my fall. We had to cross a stream once, and it really came in handy then.
The only time I used Trekking was when my knee blew out on Granite mountain and GTG gave me one of his to help me get off the mountain.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/17/2003, 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll echo Kurthzone and Sredfield's comments. I also thought they were a little affected-looking at first but man, once I started using 'em it made a lot of difference. I will say that on some hikes that include steep ascents, Flatiron comes to mind, they are more of a nuisance. But then I'll collapse 'em and strap 'em on my pack.

-Nealz
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/17/2003, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been using them for over a year, and love them! I wouldn't do anything much harder than a stroll in the park without them now. I even use them on steep uphills when others stow them away - once in a while I'll just toss them up ahead of me if I'm climbing something vertical, but I really never stow them in the pack.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/17/2003, 1:20 pm    Post subject: another item in the pack Reply to topic Reply with quote

I used to scoff at them as well. Now if it's over five miles or so I'll take them along.

As far as I'm concerned they're indispensible. If you do get one or a pair, make sure it will break down into a smaller package. This is really handy with storage and for carrying during those times you dont need them.

Don't bother with springs inside or shock absorbers either, they are just noisy and lessen you feel for the ground you plant the stick on. The springs also rob you of a little energy on each stroke as it were.

GTG

PostPosted: 1/17/2003, 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a pair but have found I do better with just one. I only use mine when I'm in water. I have found them priceless there as I can be quite a klutz.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/20/2003, 8:46 am    Post subject: Trekking Poles Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trekking poles are great --saves your knees ! They are especially helpful in rocky terrain, steep climbs/descents that go on foreever - Grand Canyon is a great example, crossing streams - rocky bottoms, when you are carrying a heavy pack....I could go on.

One thing to remember - if it is a short hike or on farily frendliy terrain, they tend to slow you down.

I have a pair of Leki Makalus (4 years and may 100's of miles) and they work great! Check outthe different hand holds before you get your pair...REI has a good selection and they leave you alone to research & test!

PostPosted: 1/20/2003, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Go git 'em Reply to topic Reply with quote

Seems the "trekking pole" topic will always resurface.
Lotsa good advice so far. Bottom line: go git 'em. Buy a pair from REI.
Don't like 'em? Take 'em back. Like 'em? Keep 'em.

We like 'em lots. Won't hike nowhere without 'em. They've saved us AT LEAST one blown knee and two sprained or broken ankles EACH. Plus, they are great when da chip's are down against a really bad, snarlin' dog.

People laugh. People scoff. People make fun. Ha, ha. Laugh's on them!
Ain't nuthin' better. Better livin' through tech-knawl-a-gee!

J&S
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/20/2003, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Judging from the pole tracks evident recently in the Canyon, poles are becoming very popular.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 12:09 am    Post subject: bad side Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Judging from the pole tracks evident recently

That is the bad side about using poles, they can really do some trail damage. The carbide tips really scratch up the rock surfaces and they can really dislodge some dirt from the trail. Everyone seems to use them without the rubber tips, this is very evident on Bright Angel and South Kaibab trails. I read a while back that someone did a study of some sort and found they do help increase trail erosion. I'll bet ck1 knows all about it.
I always use the rubber tips on my sticks to try to alleviate the process some.

GTG
tracker

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="Nealz"]I'll echo Kurthzone and Sredfield's comments. I also thought they were a little affected-looking at first but man, once I started using 'em it made a lot of difference.

-Nealz[/quote]

I've been using alum. trekking poles (bought at Popular) for about three years now. Wonderful, wonderful! :lol:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: