ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mtn. biking on Peralta Trail
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/22/2004, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Mtn. biking on Peralta Trail Reply to topic Reply with quote

Haven not observed it happening, but I have noted that folks have been mtn. biking on Peralta Trail, Superstition Wilderness Area lately.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/22/2004, 9:45 pm    Post subject: biking and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like mountain biking but that's not cool for folks to be doing it in off limits areas. Would be interesting to see though. Somehow I bet we get to hear CatValet's story of the motorcycle rider he found out there.

GTG
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/22/2004, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

6 years ago, or so, I saw a kid of about 15 on a 10-speed road bike about half a mile into the Second Water Trail from First Water TH. His mom was sitting in a lawn chair on the side of the trail, under an umbrella.
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 12:48 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mountian biking is amazing. If their is anything regular about my days is the fact that I mountain bike at least 2miles everyday, even during the winter months regardless of snow.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anybody caught biking in a wilderness area should have thier bike siezed, at the very least.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How about their legs broken too Crazy Crazy oops, guess that's a bit radical! But it would fix the problem!

GB Very Happy
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Daryl

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That would be a hell of a ride, up and down the Peralta Trail.

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 10:56 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know, it's pretty crazy someone riding their bike in the forest/woods huh? Confused Laughing
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

plummer150 wrote:
I know, it's pretty crazy someone riding their bike in the forest/woods huh? Confused Laughing
Well, out here it's not woods. Some of the trails here are very narrow on ridges and very rocky. When all of the sudden someone comes flying around a boulder and knock you down fifty/hundred feet or so it could turn into a problem, not to mention what it does to the ecology. Evil or Very Mad

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

plummer150 wrote:

Well it's not that exactly. Peralta Trail lies within the boundaries of the Superstition Wilderness Area. All vehicles, including bikes are not allowed in wilderness areas. Now we may start up a Mountain Bikes VS. Hikers VS. Equestrian debate here, who knows? At any rate the rules is rules.
C'mon CatValet, motorcycle story!

GTG
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
plummer150 wrote:

Well it's not that exactly. Peralta Trail lies within the boundaries of the Superstition Wilderness Area. All vehicles, including bikes are not allowes in wilderness areas. Now we may start up a Mountain Bikes VS. Hikers VS. Equestrian debate here, who knows? At any rate the rules is rules.
C'mon CatValet, motorcycle story!

GTG
You are correct. I wish more people would follow the rules. I was just venting my experience I encounter on a daily basis hiking SM when bikers come flying around a boulder out of nowhere. Can't tell you how many times I came pretty close getting knocked down or thrown down the trail. Evil or Very Mad

Although at South Mountain bikers are allowed, over the years one can easily tell the deterioration of the trail from the Mountain Bikers.

From a safety point, I wish they would create designated trails for Mountain Bikers and designated trails for Hikers only.

I must admit though I'm at awe at some of the Mountain Bikers where they end up at times. Their legs must be made of steel

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

From a safety point, I wish they would create designated trails for Mountain Bikers and designated trails for Hikers only.

It would help if the bikers would simply obey trail etiquette. They're supposed to yield to hikers, but it seems few of them do, especially in places like South Mountain Park.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, GTG: Actually it was not me. What started the tail was a hike I took on the Bluff Springs Trail in about 1976. I kept picking up those old polaroid tear-off sheets that they used to have. The emulsion is toxic and deer eat them to bad results. In the bottom of Barks Canyon, I found the perpetrator. He was tossing another one as I walked up. I explained the problem, and that I had already retrieved his others. He asked if I owned the place. I replied that, in a fashion, I did, and asked him to pick up the last one. He replied "I'll be damned if I do". (In those days I carried an old Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag in a tied down speed rig, cowboy style) I responded, "you'll be dead if you don't". The distinctive triple click of the old single action revolver going full cock and his personal vantage point of the details of the hollow point round facing him got his attention, and that of his wife. He picked it up. He responded while leaving that he would report me to the authorities. I provided him with the phone number and asked him to pass on my regards to the ranger.

While sharing the details with a now departed USFS staffer later, he told me about how he had met a teenager on a dirt bike (motorcycle) on the Dutchman trail near Coffee Flats. The kid gave him some lip, so rather than a ticket, he just whipped out his pocket knife and severed the spark plug wire. Have a nice walk!

Glad I didn't shoot the guy in Barks Canyon--they might have made me carry him out, and he didn't have wheels....
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great story!
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 12:59 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ha! Great story. We should have a debate forum on here to let it out and vent aggresively...or something like that. Pretty good debate going on for this post. Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: