ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
KIM*

PostPosted: 3/10/2009, 9:48 am    Post subject: Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a friend visiting next month and she wants to explore Organ Pipe Cactus NM. I'm not too familiar with this Monument. Does anyone have suggestions on areas that we should visit and explore? We plan to be there for 3 days.

Thanks!
Kim
Suz

PostPosted: 3/10/2009, 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A bunch of us were once there and hiked in the rain on a beautiful trail through Arch Canyon, I believe it was called.

I'd put a link up to the pictures in the gallery but I'm at work with a MAC MOUSE and it won't seem to cooperate...sorry.....maybe I'll get a little help.
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 3/10/2009, 10:45 am    Post subject: Organ Pipe NM, AJO, AZ Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.nps.gov/orpi/

Here's a link for additional information.
Hope this helps out.

Sheri Cool
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 3/10/2009, 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
A bunch of us were once there and hiked in the rain on a beautiful trail through Arch Canyon, I believe it was called.

I'd put a link up to the pictures in the gallery but I'm at work with a MAC MOUSE and it won't seem to cooperate...sorry.....maybe I'll get a little help.

Let me try....

http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=search.php&searchstring=Organ+Pipe

*crossing my fingers this works*

Sheri
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 3/10/2009, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The premium hike in the area is Mount Ajo peak. I did the write-up of this for HAZ where there are plenty of photosets as well. See http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=725

It is rated 4.9 out of 5 by nine hikers who chose to rate it. It is difficult and steep as you approach the summit. Please also note that the whole area gets really hot very soon now and you should carry plenty of water and start as early as possible to capture the lower temperatures in the morning.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/10/2009, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Victoria Mine: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=541
Arch canyon: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=238
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 3/10/2009, 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The backcountry in OrganPipe is still closed to overnight backpacking but at least they have opened it back up for day hiking. It was all shut down for a period, no day hiking even. It is a very high traffic smuggling route. We did a lot of backpacking in there in the mid to late '70s and it was a smuggling hot spot then as well. A college buddy and I were pulled over by a pair of Customs agents back then as we were exiting the park and the entire car was tossed by one as the other held us at shotgun point. Rucksack stuff strewn everywhere, those guys are a riot, no sense of humor.

It is a crazy fun area to hike in though. If you like campground camping with beau coup RVs you will be okay, at least that is how I remember driving past the campgrounds. The backcountry was best. There are a million places to hide up there.
Deborah

PostPosted: 3/10/2009, 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, Mt. Ajo is an excellent hike, and so is Arch Canyon.
There is a small back country campground called Alamo Canyon.
It has been a while at least 10 years. But we did an excellent loop hike no trail bushwhack called Grass Canyon Loop from Alamo Canyon Campground. Up Grass Canyon/ Down Alamo Canyon
6.2 miles 1,255 feet elevation gain. It was strenous to say the least, but fun.
Use a good Topo Map of the area. I wrote notes in my guide book " Hiking AZ Cactus Country" . 4 liters of water and a stick!
Also if you camp in the Park campground make sure to secure all your food before hiking . We camped down there a few years ago and some of our friends left a cooler out. When we got back her Tortillas were gone and some other food thrown around. We camped on the outer edge of the campground so we didn't have any other campers around us.
We think some hungry " hikers" came by and searched the cooler for food.
KIM*

PostPosted: 3/11/2009, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestions!! I can't wait to explore this area. I hope I don't run into any "Coyotes". Wink
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/12/2009, 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. Say it fast three times, if you can! A real tongue-twister! Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: