ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Memories Of A Friend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 3/8/2009, 6:15 pm    Post subject: Memories Of A Friend Reply to topic Reply with quote

The news of Hooli's passing has played on my mind all week and I can't help the feeling that I want to "do something". So this is my totally inadequate way of doing something for a guy that I thought of as a friend...

When I joined the site, like most people, I didn't interact much until I felt comfortable with the people and personalities that hung out here. One of those was Hooli of course. He talked a lot about his dogs and gave everyone a good-natured ribbing from time to time. Stan especially, it seemed!

On one of my trips out, I met Hooli in the parking lot of the Home Depot over in Mesa (60 and Bell?? I can't remember...). Anyway, we had arranged that I would ride with him to the Lost Dutchman State Park where we were all meeting for the Ridgeline hike. As with many of the members that I met from the group, I felt like I'd known him for a long, long time.

The weekend was a perfect one and the campfire superb; classic AZH, with too much great food and belly-busting laughter that echoed into the night.

On Sunday, Hooli and I got into his Xterra and took off up the Old Apache Trail. He'd never taken this drive in all of the years he'd been in Arizona. I thoroughly enjoyed his company and great conversation. He told me of the years he'd spent with his dogs and and the tragedies that he'd endured. We talked of his years at Bank Of America and I'd say, about a million other subjects, including how much he cared about so many members of AZH. They had become part of his family.

Too soon the weekend was over and I had to return home. It was a perfect weekend and I still remember most of it like it was yesterday. The hike, the food, the campfire and the camaraderie... just perfect. Hooli was a big part of that weekend, adding a lot of color and humor and friendship. Good memories indeed.

I know that many members of the site knew Hooli much better than I, and some that never got to actually meet him. Maybe those that have stories could share one.

wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 3/8/2009, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hard as it is to think about, I think I'd like to share too. Many memories to ponder and could mention but Hooli was a character to say the least. The first time I met him as Letty said "Hooli gets Hugs". Never met the man and walks right up to me and said those very words and a great big Hug. Such a nut.
But also I shared an off road experience with George, Deanda, Hooli, Rich and Stan' Emily during a Ridgeline. Stan almost decided not to go and leave Emily behind, but Hooli and I said, "No go... we'll keep her busy". Hooli and Emily played cards for a while in the Hoolimobile while waiting for George to pick up Deanda. George knew a place we could off road and Hooli could take the pink jeep out or was it the Xterra? Anyway, off we headed, Emily and I in back seat and Rich right up front with his master (or should I say Hooli up front with his master Rich) Wink
As we started bouncing around off on the trail, Rich suddenly jumped in the back between Emily and I. Hooli said, "He's scared, just hang on to him for me". My job was to hold and comfort Rich on the little excursion. He was wimpering and Hooli trying to keep focused on the rocks, kept talking and trying to calm him. We got as far as we could, turned and came back and I clung to Rich the whole time, like I was made of glue.
Hooli was enjoying himself climbing the rocks, said he'd never actually done any real off-road before and thanked me for taking care of Rich for him. He just loved that little guy so.
This is only one of the memories I have of Hooli. Oh and watching Patty & Hooli dancing at Anniversay at White Tanks. That was cute, he was having fun.
Will miss him for sure.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 3/9/2009, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"Terms of Endearment" starring Jack Nicholson and Shirley Maclaine aka Hooli and Sheri, October 2003

I have fond memories of Hooli inviting me to ride in his sports car to the Epic #2 hike TH in 2003. It was like the scene out of the movie, Terms of Endearment.

Hooli offered to pick me up for the hike and drive out together to the eastside. Not realizing what type of car he was driving, he shows up in his beautiful sports car with the top down. I felt so honored to get to ride in his sports car but I'm standing there wondering how and the heck I'M going to fit in it???!!! Say What? Then I was trying to figure out how the heck HE fit in it with his mile-long legs! And then, how I'll get all my hiking gear in let alone my hiking pole that didn't retract! What a sight!! But of course, Hooli figured it all out and off we went zooming down I-10. (picture Jack Nicholson driving down the beach from the scene in the movie) Hooli looking so suave and cool laughing and joking while I'm trying to hang onto all my gear, my long hair flying in my face and at the same time trying to act like I'm enjoying the whole experience--smiling pretty with bugs in my teeth! lol! What a sight to behold! When we arrived at the TH my hair is a tangled mess, my legs won't move but hoping I can get OUT the car gracefully! I looked over at Hooli and of couse he was cool and sauve as usual.

This is and will always be how I remember Hooli, a fun loving, adventurous man who manged to stay youthful and young at heart in all he did! A person who included everyone no matter what!

(PS: If anyone has the picture of his sports car, would love to have it posted here, thanks!)
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/9/2009, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sherileeaz wrote:

(PS: If anyone has the picture of his sports car, would love to have it posted here, thanks!)

The Car
YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 3/10/2009, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
sherileeaz wrote:

The Car

Stan, that link was hilarious!
I am so sad about this and will miss Hooli and the humor from him and about him more than i can express.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 3/10/2009, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
sherileeaz wrote:

The Car

I was wondering if someone would dig that up.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 3/11/2009, 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, how sad... When did this happen? I just returned from Utah. I only met Hooli once, but he was quite a character and an icon. Really one of a klind, bless his heart. Awwww. Sad
beckett

PostPosted: 3/12/2009, 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am lucky to say that I had the chance to hike with Hooli and Rich. It was a great hike with great conversation. Hooli always reminded me that Rich and I were both from Michigan. I wonder how Rich is doing. I know he must wonder where his "father" is. I took a hike in his beloved White Tanks last weekend and thought of all the posts, emails, PMs and stories of Hooli.

My favorite memory of Hooli is at the anniversary event a couple years ago. His face was pure joy when those "Hooli bucks" came out! He danced with joy!

I hope all who were closest to him are treasuring their memories.

Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/12/2009, 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

His face was pure joy when those "Hooli bucks" came out! He danced with joy!

jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 3/12/2009, 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
sherileeaz wrote:

The Car

This was Jared's birthday weekend. I don't remember what he did, but his "punishment" was hiking with the group that weekend!

"While the ever kinder and ever gentler Hooli was fighting off a rampaging cactus attack... " I still have pictures of Kristyn performing the surgical extractions of that attack from Hooli's legs.

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 3/23/2009, 7:48 pm    Post subject: More Hooli Palooza Reply to topic Reply with quote

We got word from Myrl and Glenda that Rich made it back to Michigan and is fitting in nicely with all of his old packmates. He's had a few issues but nothing he couldn't handle.

I also got word from Hooli's daughter Linda. She sent me this picture of John and his grandson Christopher. She asked me to post it up as this is how she'll remember Dad.

Every day now I still think about the guy and what he did for me and for a number of the rest of us around here. It's tough missing him.

On another note, I think Christopher could have taken him at fisticuffs. Laughing

GTG
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 3/23/2009, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Aww Thanks Todd... really nice shots there. Glad Rich is adjusting, he must miss Hooli like crazy and wonder what the heck !!
That is a really nice shot of Hooli too. Just like I remember him ... Fiesty.. It IS tough missing him and the corny emails. We'll just keep him in our hearts and mind and he'll be with us always. And your probably right about Christopher, but even if he couldn't G'mpa would be sure to let him have the upper hand. A really touching photo.

Just noticed... even the No Bull Poopie shirt... Classic Hooli

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
beckett

PostPosted: 3/24/2009, 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great picture. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us. I think of him often as well so I can only imagine how tough this has been to all who were closest to him. My prayers are with many of you and with his family.

Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/24/2009, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Aww, nice photos for sure. Sure miss him. Cute grandson!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: