ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
TNF enters the UL world?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:
Every one should go to REI and help the economy.

MikeInFHAZ wrote:
i suppose you understand little about our economy..

Ouch. I should have put a "rolling eyes" emoticon after my statement. I meant it in jest. And as fun as buying American is, sometimes it's just not practical or economical. Most people, including myself, are looking at their own big picture, and not the country's. My wife is driving me crazy with her "buy American" kick that she is on. Enough about my ignorance on trade issues... let's get back to the topic.

What is your definition of cutting edge? A 2oz backpack made out of a parachute with no back padding is not cutting edge. And who sells cutting edge products, retail store-wise? All the gear shops sell the same things. Different brands maybe, but it's all the same.

I still don't understand why you even started this thread. Anyone who might be interested in a product like that, could just look it up themselves. I'm struggling to see how you pointing it out, and then commenting about how you are too high and mighty for it, is helping anyone.

You know I'm just having fun with you right? Wink I'm bored.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well yeah, its highly impractical that we buy American all the time.. if not impossible. I mean, we have no industry, and what we have left is still being offshored, our housing and construction markets are bust, foreign investors who buy bonds and other notes are running for the exits as the dollar is sliding into oblivion and definatley isnt going to be the world's reserve currency in the close future - our auto industry is busted and banks are going bankrupt all the while you and I are being stuck to foot the bill... and the politicians have the nerve to blame Americans "lack of spending" for the bursted bubble. So here we are, stuck in 2 highly unpopular wars that we cannot any longer sustain, and we spend money on Chinese made crap so that China will in turn fund our wars... (wow)
But hey, its all your fault because your credit cards are maxed out and you cannot afford to buy luxuries anymore... that is a crock, a myth, and I cannot believe how many people are swallowing it. Makes me wonder what else they'd swallow.. if you know what I mean.
but hey, ive been told i have a simple view of the world, so pro'lly none of this is true.
Wink

ive seen a lot of "cutting edge" lately at the Knife Store. Wink

and i am high and mighty, to the ants in my yard Rolling Eyes

carry on

what i do
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing me up to speed on our current plight. Honestly, I have tuned it out ever since moving to Ohio. I don't listen to talk radio anymore, and I really don't listen or watch the news anymore. It was stressing me out.

My wife on the other hand, probably listens to and watches enough news to kill both of us. Just like every other company in this country, hers is feeling the pinch. Even though her job is very secure, she worries that she could get let go. Then what will we do?

While the world crumbles around us, we are talking about which bills to pay off and whether or not we should buy a house. That's not a bad position to be in. I'm ignoring the whole economic situation. I still spend money at the grocery store (on beer) and buy fishing equipment (oh, I scored a fly rod and reel this past weekend), and generally do what I please. Economy be damned. (can I say that?) My primary concern is marketing my photography. I started thinking "who's going to buy pictures when the world is falling apart?" Well, it turns out, a lot of people. A few more customers and I won't have to get a "real" job.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well fortunatley we are not a family who is on the average of $7K in debt. I dont think you are either. I actually have never owned or used a credit card. At least we have security in that respect.

but just in case its all my fault for not spending money to help my economy, I recently bought some material to make a few quilts/hammocks/tarps and a new ULA pack for myself. I also eat out sometimes, so even if the money I spend goes to an illegal alien on a fishing boat, sushi still tastes great. Shocked

im such a bastard. Cool

what i do
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

A few more customers and I won't have to get a "real" job.

Matt
Then your passion becomes your real job! and now you can focus your passion on fly fishing!! Very Happy Glad to see you making it commercially !
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MikeInFHAZ wrote:
I actually have never owned or used a credit card. At least we have security in that respect.

I usually think that people who shun modern technology and conveniences are stupid, but in this case, it's an accomplishment to be proud of. Good job!

MikeInFHAZ wrote:
I also eat out sometimes, so even if the money I spend goes to an illegal alien on a fishing boat, sushi still tastes great. Shocked

im such a bastard. Cool

I've been wondering who picked all the delicious Clementines that I've been eating lately. Oh, and cool, we agree on something!
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:

Matt
Then your passion becomes your real job! and now you can focus your passion on fly fishing!! Very Happy Glad to see you making it commercially !

Thanks Ambika! I wouldn't go so far as to say "I'm making it." I could never live off the income I've generated so far. But, I'm on my way.

Actually, I'm out the door to go photograph some stuff right now!
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

btw, matt, i just visited your page again yesterday. some impressive stuff for sure.
you need to give me the hookup on something for my boring walls.

what i do
KFarm

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't be so in the dark about buying American. Just because it says it was ‘Made in America’ doesn't mean it was made by Americans. I have seen it with my own eyes. Do any of these names below ring a bell? All these companies get to place the ‘Made in America’ label on an item because Saipan is an American territory but who’s government is a commonwealth and makes up their own immigration laws. Therefore, workers from China, Korea, and the Philippines make these American items. I would bet money REI is there too. Puerto Rico is another common place for this activity.

Quote:

Economy
The main economic driving force in Saipan is garment manufacturing, driven largely by foreign contract workers (mainly from China). As of March, 2007[8] 19 companies manufactured garments on Saipan. In addition to many foreign-owned and -run companies, many well-known U.S. brands also operated garment factories in Saipan for much of the last three decades. Brands include Gap (as of 2000 operating 6[9] factories there), Levi Strauss,[10] Phillips-Van Heusen,[11] Abercrombie & Fitch,[12] L'Oreal subsidiary Ralph Lauren (Polo),[13] Lord & Taylor,[14], Tommy Hilfiger and Walmart.[15]

Tourism has long been a vital source of the island's revenue, although the industry has undergone a serious decline since the Asian Economic Crisis of the mid-to-late 1990s coupled with local mismanagement of the industry. Some major airlines have since ceased regular service to the island. Internationally-known businesses who located to Saipan are struggling and some have gone out of business.

From Wikipedia

BTW the Selk Bag Rocks.... Laughing

John Wayne
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/5/2009, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kfarm, its true. when I speak of made in america gear, it is made in the USA by american born citizens. brian frankle, ron bell, joe valesko, etc..

but yeah dont forget us 'territories' like guam and puerto rico.

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: