ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Tahquitz Canyon, Palm Springs - Mt San Jacinto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(0)
User
spethmd

PostPosted: 2/26/2009, 3:37 pm    Post subject: Tahquitz Canyon, Palm Springs - Mt San Jacinto Reply to topic Reply with quote

Back in 1975, I hiked up a dry river bed behind the steak house in Palm Springs into Tahquitz Canyon to a couple of small waterfalls. I then scrambled up the rock slide on the left side of the canyon and got on what locals called Lizard Ledge. This was psychologically scary for beginners because at one point one had to step across a gap over "nothingness" by stepping on a small outcropping while holding on to a slot with your hand. But the effort was very worthwhile, because it led to a sandy plateau with a beautiful waterfall and pool to swim in, you could sit dangling your feet looking way down to Palm Springs, constant tempertures of between 72 and 76 degrees and soft sand to sleep on in one's sleeping bag with the only disturbance being the ring-tailed cats trying to get your trail food and hummingbirds awakening you, hovering over your head (attracted by the color in the sleeping bag).

I understand that the Indians have now made this canyon a tourist attraction with a visitor's center and guided tours. Can one still go up to Lizard Ledge and the plateau with the waterfall that I have been describing? Or, if not, can one get down to it from the top of San Jacinto? By the way, that plateau and the waterfall that I have been describing above lizard ledge was outside of, and never part of, the indian reservation --- it was above the upper boundary of the indian reservation and was part of the national forest on San Jacinto. However, back then it would have been nye impossible to get down to that plateau and waterfall from on top of San Jacinto, because the trail had never been maintained and it was actually quite dangerous to try to descend from the top. So my other question is: Have they re-established the trail down from the top of San Jacinto to this plateau and waterfall if one is no longer allowed by the Indian to come up from below?
Thanks for any info anyone can give me regarding this.
Peter Speth
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/26/2009, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would check out this site:
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/

They are the experts for that area, sorry can't help you any more than that.

-TIM-
spethmd

PostPosted: 2/26/2009, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the tip. I have now registered with that forum and posted my question regarding Tahquitz. I got one reply, but that person was there after the Indians had already created their tourist business. She only went up within the lower canyon to where you can't go any further without technical climbing. However, she thinks that one can go anywhere one wishes in the canyon.
spethmd

PostPosted: 2/26/2009, 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just got the following reply on another forum From Perry, whose web page is:

http://www.Palm-Springs-Photography.com/

He wrote:
I've heard it's really nice! Today it's officially closed, so you would risk being fined by the rangers. If that handhold is eroded or broken, it may require more finger strength now than it did back in the 70's. Regarding coming down, definitely not from the overlook and hidden fork. That requires ropes, and I've only heard of one hardcore climber who has done that. Down climbing can be very difficult because you can't see what you're doing. I don't know about North or South Lykken trails and the legalities, but I would imagine there would also be some down climbing. A topo might answer both of those questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: