ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Backpacking coffee problems solved!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGO

PostPosted: 3/6/2007, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love backpackers. Coffee is considered ones "stash"....and now!
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok Diane you are in as well!
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have used a very fine net bag to steep my coffee. It works pretty well and weighs about a quarter of an ounce. I am perhaps a bad girl but I toss used grounds in inconspicuous places and thus carry only the bag hiking out. mp
AZHikerman

PostPosted: 3/24/2007, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

REI has little packets of coffee, similar to tea bags, that can be dropped into boiling water to steep. After use, they can of course be burned in the camp fire or just 'field stripped', as they used to say in the army. The taste is not bad with a heavy dose of sugar for energy.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 2/12/2009, 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Starbucks Corp., the company that brought $4 lattes to the masses, said Thursday it plans to introduce a line of instant coffee.

The Via soluble coffee product, which Fourbucks plans to unveil on Tuesday, marks their latest bid to appeal to a broader range of coffee drinkers amid a sagging economy that is sapping interest in its pricey, high-end coffee drinks.

The Seattle-based company says Via replicates the taste of Starbucks coffee in instant form and will be available next month after more than 20 years in development.

Instant coffee products such as Nescafe were popular decades ago in the United States and remain popular in parts of Europe and Asia.

Fourbucks said in a statement that the instant coffee market remains a $17 billion global coffee market.

The instant coffee will sell at its cafes for $2.95 for a pack of three, and $9.95 for a pack of 12, The Wall Street Journal reported on its Web site.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/13/2009, 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I thought I read somewhere about instant coffee and how it came about but it was tested and used by the troops in WWII to give them one thing they craved... a cup of Java while out on the fields. They liked it so much that when they came home, they missed it and the ease of it that it made its way to the masses on the grocery shelves. Funny how some things come about.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 2/13/2009, 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

maryphyl wrote:
... I am perhaps a bad girl but I toss used grounds in inconspicuous places and thus carry only the bag hiking out. mp

not at all, MP. coffee carries necessary nutrients to our native plants and is very high in soluble nitrogen, and it also 1)repels many parasites and 2)encourages natural defense mechanisms
so 'littering' your coffee grounds at the base of a ponderosa is a good thing

lately i was reading some testing done by a fellow coffee snob who used glass, lexan and titanium coffee presses. He claims the lexan carried the best flavor and the Ti may interrupt the essential oils in the brewing process... not necessarily leaving a metal taste, but leaving less flavor overall. hmmm... and im still using the lexan press.

here's a tip for real backcountry coffee: first, start with the beans. NEVER refrigerate your beans. Store them in a glass jar or plastic tupperware with a tight fit lid. Refrigerators moisturize your roasted beans and then they impart the flavors of your leftover meatloaf. Never freeze your coffee, either.
Use a burr grinder. Blade grinders heat up and not only dont uniformly chop the beans, they ruin the flavor as the oil heats up it changes character. Grind your beans the morning of departure and store in an airtight (ziploc?) container. Try something like this local roaster's sidamo and you may never drink JavaJuice again. (or fourbucks, for that matter)
have a great day!

what i do
Deborah

PostPosted: 2/13/2009, 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just use one of those little tea leaf ball steepers when I backpack.
I can either put some tea or coffee in it depending on my mood.
thanks for the advice about not putting coffee in the fridge. I thought that was a good thing.
I will never do it again.
Talk about coffee Grinders outdoors, do you remember the scene from City Slickers when ( I think it's Chevy Chase) stampedes the cattle with his battery operated grinder?
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 2/13/2009, 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i used to refrigerate coffee too, thinking it stayed fresh. roasted beans are very dry, and refrigerators are used to keep food moist. when you store your beans in a tight jar, the coffee releases carbon dioxide and that fends off oxygen, and slows down the oxidation process. refrigerators speed this process up. it was my mom's friend Seth (who runs old bisbee roasters) who told me about this- but you can verify thru google. http://www.ncausa.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=70

Very Happy coffee Very Happy- the 'other' beer

what i do
Deborah

PostPosted: 2/13/2009, 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

By the way, that actor was Billy Crystal.
Where is Old Bisbee Roasters?
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 4/20/2009, 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have an inside source who sent me some Via from the origin. It is the best instant coffee I have drunk. It will not replace fresh ground and brewed but if one does not want to take all the gear, this is a lightweight option. They say we will not see it here until September.

As will all Starbucks, I like more water than they suggest. They brew strong with the option to dilute to taste. Normally my preferred drink out there is whole leaf Ti Kuan Yin oolong fresh brewed but I like a cup of coffee at times. I’ll keep a few of these in my kit as it has their signature kick.

Girlfriend, the purveyor of energy foods for the trail, has also been on a goji berry and chia seed kick lately. I think there is something to them. She bakes them in some of her journey breads as well as the berries in trail mix.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 4/20/2009, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good advice Mike. If you want a cup of really fresh delicious coffee, try roasting your own. I bought a Fresh Roast from www.sweetmarias.com a couple of years ago. If you buy from them get one of the packages that include a selection of green beans. It's amazing the difference between beans from different countries. I buy green beans for about $5/lb from Rincon mountain roasters on Ebay or I have also purchased some green Kona beans from a guy I met who has a small coffee farm in Hawaii. The difference between fresh roasted and store bought beans is like comparing bread fresh from the oven with bread from the store.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 4/20/2009, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

or, stale 3 day old, farm raised trout to what you catch, clean and cook within minutes.

i have been drinking MAM huehuetenango from Guatemala and some Panama Finca this week. It is true that coffee from everywhere tastes different, of course it would. and one thing i find funny is how a company will say "100% Colombian" which is in the coffee world's equivalent of saying "made in china".

if you can, get your hands on some Brazilian from the Serra do Salitre region when it comes back into season. wow that is good coffee!

what i do
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 6/3/2009, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just received my order for GanoDerma coffee.

The package says “Instant Coffee Beverage With Ganoderma Powder”. Ingredients: Coffee and Ganoderma.

The packaging seems great for backpacking. Single serving packets. Very light weight and dissolves in the cup. No tea bag or coffee bag to get rid of or carry out. I like that part.

GanoDerma is a mushroom extract with health benefit claims. Cures cancer, increases energy, allows you to leap tall buildings in a single bound (LOL) but sorry, these are not the good mushrooms.

There actually are some references to it on WebMD at
http://www.webmd.com/search/search_results/default.aspx?query=ganoderma&sourceType=undefined

The website is www.ganodermacoffee.com
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 6/3/2009, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

joe, i did not see any mention of the word caffeine in that mushroom "coffee"
am i missing something?

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: