ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Shoulder Stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 12/18/2008, 10:10 am    Post subject: Shoulder Stuff Reply to topic Reply with quote

Multi I've just gotten back from my second visit to the shoulder doc and thankfully I've got some good news.

x-rays, multiple CT scans, and an MRI show:
sternoclavicular joint injury
bone marrow edema (bruised bone)
pec major injury
a missing ligament that holds the collarbone in place (most likely a prior injury)

Doc says I'm not a whimp! (that's the best news) My collarbone has been moving around at the point where it attaches to my sternum when I'm climbing most likely because of the ligament that is MIA....causing injury to that joint. I've had some pretty significant pain that I've been trying to work through. The bone is bruised. He believes that eventually I'll develop scar tissue there and it will "scar down"...I think that means feel better.

There is also an injury to the pec major that is healing. He wants me off the rock and rope for another month Sad (been grounded for a month already--challenging but very doable) and he is prescribing physical therapy during this next month which will start on Friday so I can keep up my strength without doing further damage. I'm excited with the diagnosis.

His theory is that if I was a runner I could participate in that activity if I was at 95% but as a climber he wants me at 100% because of the "sophistication" of the activity...and didn't call me "studly" even once!

Hiking Hiking is okay, backpacking is right out.

Some of you have seen the funky concave area on the right side of my chest----doc says it's not fair to compare it to the male chest so if I start asking women at Tim's Christmas Party if I can see their pectoral muscles---you all will understand, right? Rolling Eyes

I'll be doing this again in no time!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/18/2008, 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very Happy Excellent -- So Promised land is on for October!!! Yeah!

Now why did your Pec Major get hurt and why is your bone bruised ? What is going to be different now that this will not re-occour ?
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/18/2008, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:

Now why did your Pec Major get hurt and why is your bone bruised ? What is going to be different now that this will not re-occour ?

Very good question Ambika! One I would have asked my self if you had not.

I want to shine!
Suz

PostPosted: 12/18/2008, 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
desertgirl wrote:

Very good question Ambika! One I would have asked my self if you had not.

I think we need to pencil in Jack's Canyon for a weekend gig and Joshua Tree sometime soon. Yes, I'll be ready for the Promise Lands in October.

Your prevention question is a good one. dunno I think if I get enough scar tissue built up it won't hurt at the joint area any more because the ligament is apparently going to stay MIA.........so I've probably got to injure it a few more times Rolling Eyes, heal and strengthen my pec major and I'll be good to go. Wink That's why I've got the next month to gather your questions.

I start physical therapy tomorrow!
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/26/2009, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

good luck with your shoulder Suz. PM on its way.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Suz

PostPosted: 1/27/2009, 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm pushing into about 3 months since the injury and things are going well. I still have pain but it's random and tolerable.....just enough to remind me to be cautious. The bone is still displaced and probably always will be so please try not to stare.

The doc has given me approval to sort of "take my collarbone out for a spin"...gently. He wants me to be able to do a pull-up without any pain in that area before I try more difficult routes. I've worked up to a few push-ups and feel pretty stable while doing those.

Mark and I (and maybe Ambika) are going to try something easy this weekend---perhaps Tom's Thumb. I'm itching to get back at it.......but fear tearing the other ligaments on that joint especially since we don't exactly have our heads wrapped around how it happened in the first place.

yoyo Wish me luck and I'll get back with an update after we (my collarbone and I) play on the rocks a bit.

Hooli---read your PM---wishing you well with your upcoming elbow surgery. Please let us all know how we can help you. Ligament Physical Therapy will be a bit different than the typical muscle physical therapy that we think of where one has to push through pain so hopefully my PM will help you understand more about what to expect.

FYI---the crazy Kinesio Taping---(done properly by a trained expert about half way into my recovery) provided me support and relief to allow my body to heal more than any pain med or ice treatment. I would never have believed it if I didn't experience it. Sending healing energy your way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: