ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
I just bought a kayak!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/13/2009, 7:57 am    Post subject: I just bought a kayak! Reply to topic Reply with quote

My husband went to San Diego on Saturday, where we purchased a tandem recreational kayak we found on Craigslist. We had been watching for a specific type, the kind where you can move the seats forward and back, and convert it to a solo. This one is a 15-foot Wilderness Systems Pamlico. My husband is disabled and is not interested in trying to stuff himself into a small, tight space such as in a serious whitewater or sea kayak. And we didn't want a sit-on top because they don't easily convert to solo.

We will be kayaking all the lakes around Yuma along the Colorado River (there are quite a few) and also running the river itself. There are three sections of river: Above Imperial Dam, below Laguna Dam and also the short stretch BETWEEN the two dams, which is only about 4 miles in a straight line.

I also have a whitewater kayak, and still want to find a school. I think I might check out the one at Lake Mead as they seem to have a complete school, with rescue techniques, plus learning to Eskimo roll.

If you are looking for a used kayak and don't mind going to San Diego, that is the place to get one. There are new listings daily for many different types of kayaks. So if you want to surf, run whitewater, or paddle the Sea of Cortez, you will find what you're looking for if you keep watching.

I took a kayak class in November here in Yuma. It was fun, but only taught me the beginner basics. However, it was the first time I had ever paddled one and I really did like it a lot!

...Yesterday we kayaked at Squaw Lake, above Imperial Dam on the Calif. side of the river, but it was pretty windy, so after a nice BBQ we put it back on the car and took it over near Betty's Kitchen on the AZ side, just above Laguna Dam and below Imperial Dam, near Mittry Lake. It was fun, but it is pretty tricky learning to paddle as a team! We need further lessons in this! I looked online but could find no info about it. Next step is to contact a couple of instructors I know. It was fun, but we kept running into the tule reeds in the narrow waterways.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/13/2009, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome Elizabeth! Hope you have a great time in it! And tell us all about your great times of course!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: