ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mazatzal Divide Trail - AZT Passage #23 Backpack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(9) (3) (1)
User
desertgirl
Shawn
GTG
windymesa
paintninaz
Hikngrl
Tom Treks
outside1
azhiker96
User
Davis2001R6
jdahling
aspen_oaks
User
threedogz
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
desertgirl
PostPosted: 12/18/2008, 12:01 pm    Post subject: Mazatzal Divide Trail - AZT Passage #23 Backpack Reply with quote

Come backpack the Mazatzal Divide Trail - the premier hike in the Mazatzal Wilderness. This trail stays on or near the crest for its entire run from Mt Peely TH to City CreeK. This also forms Passage #23 on the Arizona Trail!

When: March 27 Friday - March 29 Sunday. We will be leaving at 9:00 am from My Peeley TH. Shawn, Ambika, Dave will be camping at the TH.

Rating: Strenuous. Long miles (~ 28 miles) , sketchy sesaonal water, 3600ft elevation gain with rolling elevation profile.

Trip Leads: desertgirl & Shawn. This will be a loosely organized group of Solo Hikers... So you need to do your homework, know the details and assess your abilities before you sign up.

Details: This will be a shuttle hike with 2 nights on the trail. We will be camping at 6000ft + elevation. Water should be generally availaable along the trail at the different springs/seeps. 2 vehicles (Shawn/Ambika) will be staged at the City Creek TH for shuttle back to Mt Peeley TH.

Trail Information:
AZT Passage Info: http://www.aztrail.org/passages/pass_23.html

Dayhikes: There are options for some loop day hikes and for joining in partways. Access to the Divide trail is possible via Y Basin #44 (6 miles); Barnhardt #43 (6.2 miles); Rock Creek #42 (3.3 miles)

Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/20/2008, 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Never been on the divide other than the Mt Peely area and Barnhardt.

Sounds like an interesting jaunt. Hope there's water in the vicinity around that time.

Need to get my sorry arse in a little better shape for this one.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 12/20/2008, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've done the whole route from Four Peaks to City Creek, back in 1984. Also did the North Peak #24 from Mineral Creek to The Park in about 1995. I did the segment from Peely to Barnhardt about four years ago, before the Willow Fire and it was all very obvious. The only part of the Divide Trail north of there that was vague was right around The Park, simply because the depth of the pine needles had buried the trail. I've never seen a soul on the route north of Chilson or south of Shake Tree.

Bear, Fisher and Brody all have had water in my past jaunts, but I haven't seen water at Windsor since the 1980's. BTW, trail #230 flat disappeared about a mile past Fisher Spring; although six inches of snow hampered our route finding, and admittedly, alcohol was involved. Might be findable with GPS.

Obviously Shawn and Mike in FHAZ have been in the area post Willow fire. Cairns should have survived the fire. Hopefully Tonto NF will replace signs with oak rather than redwood. The bears rip up the redwood ones, don't know why, odor? This area was bear city (like Four Peaks) before the fire, but I don't know if there is enough oak and prickly pear forage left to support a population.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/5/2009, 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ive got a few "guests" who are from the Arizona Backpacking Club that might want to join... most of the folks over there are serious, advanced type backpackers. They offer some great hikes throughout the year, and everyone is welcome to join. Most of the hikes they do are for advanced/crazy types... so they should be able to hang with us on this adventure...

what i do
windymesa

PostPosted: 1/6/2009, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was going to to "this"... that weekend:

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1778399&server=vimeo.com&amp

..but, I want some real action, and so, will go with the advanced and crazy type backpackers on Arizona Trail Passage #23.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/6/2009, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great! Glad you can make it!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 1/6/2009, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh my that was one heck of a video... I've never seen that before. WoW just like Rocky J the flying squirrel.... But I think you'll have more fun the the crazy type backpackers Wink

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
oliverr99

PostPosted: 1/7/2009, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Um so really you want to do something like that? That is crazy!
threedogz

PostPosted: 1/7/2009, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Depending on what my syllabus looks like, I may be able to squeeze this one in.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/8/2009, 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yer sylabulls look finne and yer spellin aint bad eether

what i do
threedogz

PostPosted: 1/9/2009, 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay, someone wants to be a smart ass... um, Mike. Laughing
windymesa

PostPosted: 1/9/2009, 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Techno hikers (we don't need no stinking guides.... we have our Garmins Cool ):

1.) The latest Arizona Trail alignment for your Garmin: I have created a text file from the merge of the latest ground GPS'ed Arizona Trails Passages 22, 23, and 24. This text file can be uploaded to your Garmin GPS units with the free DNRGarmin software (available at http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/tools/arcview/extensions/DNRGarmin/DNRGarmin.html Projection is UTM12 NAD27. If you would like this file for your Garmin GPS, email me and I will send the 150kb file to you, and instructions on how to get it into your Garmin if you need them.

2.) Arizona Trail for this Hike on USGS Quads Map: I have also created a map with the Arizona Trail on the 1:24,000 USGS Quad base for this hike. This is in the jpg format, and is just under 5MB. If your email handles 5MB, contact me via email if you would like it for viewing on your computer screen. In addition, the map has land ownership, and covers access into the north and south trailheads from Payson, and 87. I don't know if it can be posted to this site, as it is 3500 x 4800 pixels.. too large to view the map in a single 19inch computer screen.. but good for panning around the map.

windymesa@hotmail.com

I would also be willing to hike in from the oppostie direction, and exchange car keys in the middle to facilitate and reduce the shuttle setup/breakdown times.

Cool
windymesa

PostPosted: 1/13/2009, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Really deep thoughts on the Mazatzal hike for loosely organized, solo backpackers:

Mileage figures from the mapping software: Mt Peeley TH to Bear Pass/Bear Springs = 8.8 miles, Bear Pass to Hopi Spring = 9 miles, and Hopi Spring to City Creek TH = 11.7 miles.

For those people that only have two days, who are loosely organized, and solo hikers, these folks could come from Barnhardt Trail head to Hopi Spring (about 8.6 miles), and camp with the 3 day group on Saturday night. The 2 day group could then exit back to Barnhardt, or continue on to City Creek TH with the 3 day group (11.7 miles), for a two day 21.3 mile trip. Extremely complex and confusing car tricks could be set up by Shawn, who is very gifted in this area. I may choose this option if work demands it, but I am in for the 3 day walk in the park.

On March 27, 2009, the sunrise is at 6:23am, sunset at 6:44pm. That is 2 more hours of daylight than we now have. We will not have a moon. March 26th is the "New Moon" (No Moon). So if you are a slow hiker, or like to sleep late, or like to walk around at night, bring your headlamp with plenty of extra batteries.

The average temperatures in degrees farenheit for March-April: high 63-71, low 31-35, record high 89-91, record low 3-15. We should have plenty of wood for a great warming fires. (I nearly froze the first week in January in the Grand Canyon because of the no fire policy. Had to spend 3 -14 hour nights of darkness on a 1 1/2 inch thick sleep pad in my sleeping bag to survive. Fire is good... when handled by professionals of course.)

Take care,
Dave (loose, solo backpacker)
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/13/2009, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

another option if you only have Sat-Sun
start at Peeley t/h
hike to Chilson Spring to camp
hike out to City Creek t/h day 2

what i do
windymesa

PostPosted: 1/13/2009, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mileage for that option would be about 14 miles from Peeley TH to Chilson Spring, and 15.5 from Chilson Spring to City Creek TH. Travel light... move swiftly.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/13/2009, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

that may be my option, if i cannot hike friday (im only available after 12ish, so to the t/h at 1ish, plenty of time for me to make 9 miles.. but im just sayin)
if I can only hike in on Saturday, Id start at Peeley, and meet the group for the night (sat) at Hopi Spring. I have hiked that section of Maz Divide, and could do it in 5 hours. the second day is all down hill once past North Peak. I mean really down hill.
Fortunately, once you climb the first mile of trail you will level out and then there is a short descent to Bear Saddle, but there are some tricky sections before you get to that point - a confusing area at the saddle north of Mt. Catherine (marked peak 7358 on USGS) and some more fun until you reach Windsor saddle. From there all the way to Horse Camp seep it is clearly defined, compared to other trails around the area, that is.
One thing I want to caution for hikers who have never set foot outside of the Barnhardt trail, that is the only one I know of that is easy to follow. The rest will test your nerves for sure. I got in over my head in there a couple years ago and had to spend an extra night since the canyon we were in took 8 hours to go 4 miles. Bring extra food! Smile

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: