ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GPX file for the Western Half of the Superstitions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mthorne

PostPosted: 2/25/2007, 4:39 pm    Post subject: GPX file for the Western Half of the Superstitions Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi, I have uploaded my GPX map of the Western Half of the Superstitions Wilderness to the GPXchange website: http://www.gpxchange.com/fileinfo/index.asp?ID=103210&return=home

As far as I know this is the most comprehensive GPX file for this part of the Superstitions available.

I chose uploading the file to the GPXchange site because not only does it allow you to download the GPX file, but also allows you to view it on topo map or aerial views, print out maps from the site, view track elevation profiles, view pictures linked to waypoints, and also view or print the descriptions. Overall, I have been very impressed with the site, and believe it to be a great resource for sharing GPS information.

My GPX file contains tracks for most of the major trails and trailheads in the wilderness. All of the USFS maintained trails within the wilderness area are included. In addition, I have waypoints included for each of the trails. These waypoints encompass: trail junctions, springs, nice campsites, interesting features, and a variety of waypoints to aid in trail navigation.

It is my hope that some of you who like hiking with a GPS will find this useful.

Even if you don’t hike with a GPS I think the map on the GPXchange site may be useful for trip planning.

I also see this database as an ongoing effort and plan to maintain the database as needed. In addition to the trails I have currently included, I am also interested in adding some of the other officially unmaintained trails that currently are not included in the file. E.g., I am interested in adding the following trails:

Squaw Canyon Trail
West Boulder Canyon Trail
Superstition Ridgeline Traverse
Cave Trail
Trap Canyon Trail

If anyone is interested in contributing to this project, please let me know as I’d love further input and additional waypoints and tracks. I will certainly give credit in the file to anyone who contributes. I am especially interested in anyone that would like to contribute one of the above trails, but if anyone has waypoints for interesting spots they would like to add I would love those too. Great pictures are also welcome - especially after looking at the quality of some of mine!

I am also currently compiling my map to the Eastern half of the wilderness. Although it is not nearly as complete as the map for the Western half. I am also interested in anyone that would be able to contribute to completing that. I hope you enjoy the map!

-John Constable (1776 - 1837)
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/25/2007, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's pretty dang cool.

Thanks
Cholla

PostPosted: 2/25/2007, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing. This IS pretty cool. I'm new to GPS, so find this very helpful.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 2/26/2007, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What a nice piece of work. You must have lived here for a while to do that.

How did you end up in Alaska and have you tried to do any 19ers there?
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/26/2007, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for this link... a GPS was one thing I thought to be in my future and I'm sure this will help even before then.
What a wonderful thing to share. I'm sure there may be a few on this site who use a GPS will provide you some feedback.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
mthorne

PostPosted: 2/27/2007, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi, thank you for the kind words about this file, and thank you very much gpsjoe for providing me with a track for the superstition ridgeline. I will add it to the file as soon as I finish working out some details with the creator of the GPXchange site.

I have lived in AZ for roughly the last 8 years, but have just recently within the past year, moved to AK for a temporary research position at the Alaska Volcano Observatory. I am happy though that friends, family, and work let me get back to AZ periodically now, and I have some opportunities to get me back down to the Southwest soon. But for the time being am certainly enjoying the opportunity I have of exploring the Alaskan wilderness a bit.

But, no I haven't had a chance at any 19ers yet. Thus far my climbing has been limited to a couple volcanoes in the Katmai region. We'll see what this spring and summer holds!

-John Constable (1776 - 1837)
rayhiker

PostPosted: 12/2/2008, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I found an updated version of Mike Thorne's work (the whole Superstition Wilderness -- not just the west side) at:

http://web.utah.edu/thorne/superstitions.html

See all the listed roads/trails/off-trail paths at:
http://web.utah.edu/thorne/gps/Supers_Info.pdf

VERY impressive!!

Ray
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 12/2/2008, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is an amazing set of GPS files. Mike Thorne was the prime mover in creating this file, Irv Kanode and myself helped out by contributing a number of the tracks that Mike didn't have to complete the set.

Garmin users who work with "Mapsource" software might use the 500 point file in the following way.

1. Open the 500 point GPX file in Mapsource.
2. Open Mapsouce a second time (Mapsource allows you to open it several times).
3. Go to the 500 point file and select the tracks you will be hiking that day.
4. Copy and paste those into the second blank Mapsource file.
5. Select track properties and give each track a color that shows up well on you receiver (e. g. red).
6. Transfer these tracks to your GPS and go hiking.
7. If you are following these tracks stay zoomed in at 80 or 120 feet for best track following results. Closer in and you might think you are off trail when you are just viewing normal GPS error. Farther out and you will have to wander far off the trail before you conclude that you are off trail and should correct. So zoom level is important.

You should be able to copy and paste from the mother file using software other than Mapsource since GPX is almost a universal file format these days.
rayhiker

PostPosted: 12/2/2008, 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

gpsjoe, thanks for all you did to make this possible!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: