ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Canoeing Martinez Lake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/22/2008, 6:05 pm    Post subject: Canoeing Martinez Lake Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm taking a weekend class in canoeing and kayaking offered by Arizona Western College in Yuma. Today's lesson was in canoes. I had been canoeing before, plenty of times, but it was fun, anyway. Tomorrow's lesson is in kayaks, and will be on the river. I have never been kayaking!

We will paddle from near the confluence of the Gila and Colorado Rivers, downstream to Yuma's West Wetlands Park. That section of the river has far less water in it than above Imperial Dam. Look tomorrow for photos of the kayaking. More photos in gallery of canoeing, also.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 11/23/2008, 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Checkout and report on the campgrounds.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/23/2008, 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Boater's float-in campground is at Picacho State Park, upstream from Martinez Lake, on the Calif side. There seems to be a tent and trailer campground at Martinez Lake, also, but it was not very appealing, not next to the water. On the Calif side I believe there may be some other campgrounds along the river, but I'm not sure.

Yuma Parks and Rec has kayaking days, $20 per person. They run the section BELOW Imperial Dam. It is important to note that the river runs very high above the dam, but very low below it. For example, this week below the dam it has been running between 450 and 750 cfs. Above the dam, in the area used for multi day canoe trips (Blyth to Martinez Lake, over 100 miles!) the river has run 2500 to 9000 this week! The fluctuations are of course due to irrigation needs. To get a better understanding, look at Google Earth.

We will put in somewhere near the confluence today, and float down to West Wetlands Park, which is right in Yuma. This section is popular with locals for tubing and kayaking.

You don't want to float very far past West Wetlands Park, as you will get to the section where river right is the actual border between Arizona and Mexico! This is a dangerous area, a battleground for the Border Patrol, and definitely not recommended by anyone I know who has boated there! There are about 15 to 20 river miles along the Mexican border. Look at your Arizona Atlas for a general view of this area.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/23/2008, 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know paddling is a lot of work but it looks so peaceful and relaxing.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/23/2008, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, but the kayaking today down the rivers was SOOO much more fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: