ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Tour of the White Mountains MTB event in October

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/21/2008, 4:59 am    Post subject: Tour of the White Mountains MTB event in October Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've signed up for Tour of the White Mountains mountain biking event again this year. Date is Sat. Oct 4. There has been a change of venue this year, and the event will be at Show Low Bluff, a new development. I'm told there is a huge area set up for camping, and that there will be a Grateful Dead cover band called Extra Ticket and and a reggae band, too, on Sat. evening. They also have lots of food available, and free beer for registered riders. (Presumably one drinks the beer AFTER the race.)

Here is the link with information and registration:

http://www.epicrides.com/towm/towm.htm

I'm riding the 30-mile event, but there is a longer event and a shorter one you can choose from. There is some single track and some dirt road along the routes. Last year, the event I rode in didn't have anything very technical (I rode a 35-mile event). This year each race route has been changed a lot, so I don't know if there will be some technical spots--they say we will be riding Timber Mesa Trail at the end and I've heard it's pretty rocky. I'm going to go over there and ride it sometime soon, I think.

Although it's a race, many people just ride in order to finish. That's what I did last year. This year I am training a lot more, though, so maybe I will finish better than 10th in my division, as I did last year! Since my division, Women's Masters, starts at age 45, and I am 55, I am at somewhat of a disadvantage. Last year they said I was the second-oldest female rider.

Usually the weather is great in early October, although last year it was very windy, but that's unusual. The wind didn't pose a huge problem anyway, as most of the routes go through thick woods.

It's a pretty big event, maybe a thousand riders, and it's a fundraiser for the hospital in Show Low. Anyway, I thought it was fun, and so I thought I'd let you all know about it.

One thing about having signed up for an event like this one is that it's a bit like having a GC permit in your hand: You have something out there in front that you need to train for. You are not just training for general fitness or weight loss or health, you have an actual event you are looking forward to. I find this psychology really keeps me motivated.

If anyone from here signs up please let me know! I may stay for the whole thing this year--last year I just showed up for the ride and didn't camp overnight or listen to the music or eat the BBQ.

Elizabeth
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 8/21/2008, 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Where were you for the Bucket of Blood? It was kind of a boring race; a 20 mile out and back. Maybe 50 people? I got 3rd place in my age group and maybe 15th or so overall. It took me 59 minutes to complete the race. Liz, my fiancée, got 1st in her age group and rode in 1 hour and 12 minutes. My friend Doug took first in his age group, and 3rd place overall. He rode in 49 minutes! So we all got ribbons and certificates. Yay us! Plus the t-shirts were pretty cool.

If I'm still around when this race is taking place* I'll probably enter. I'm going to mtn bike in Flag this coming weekend and probably at the North Rim over Labor Day weekend. I haven't been on my mtn bike in forever. I miss it!

* Don't read too much into that...yet. I MIGHT be moving out of state. I'll know in a week or so. If I am, I'll be sure to tell you guys.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/21/2008, 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, I had forgotten about that. When was it? I have been so caught up with my family stuff that it would have been unthinkable anyway to run off to Holbrook. I am lucky to get one day of single track almost every weekend, plus I ride all over town the rest of the week, and up Water Canyon Road. (Steep!)

Speaking of which, a couple of us will be riding Indian Springs Loop plus West Fork spur trail, about 13 total miles, on Sunday morning, if anyone is up near Big Lake that day who would like to join us. Intermediate level ride. We should get to the trailhead around 10:15 or 10:30. By the way, both of those trails have been worked by a crew of volunteers recently, and they removed all the deadfall.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/14/2008, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been riding my bike a lot, but may bail on this race. I hear they changed the route and it's a lot more technical, steep and rocky. I may not be up for that, especially in a race situation where you have faster riders coming up behind you on single-track. I am awaiting news of the route after a friend rides it. I may have to go ride it myself just to check it out. Some of you bike animals may just love the changes, though!
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 9/15/2008, 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Was thinking about it, but may opt for a road event in Scottsdale. Noted the course change and perhaps a more technical route also limited in the the time off I could obtain, was planning on making it a camping trip as well.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 9/15/2008, 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like they finally turned this thing into a REAL mtn biking event! Too bad I won't be around to participate. Crying or Very sad
threedogz

PostPosted: 9/15/2008, 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth
If there is a less technical bike ride in your parts, I would be interested in joining you.

Heidi
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/16/2008, 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HEIDI: I ride all over the place, all the time, you and everyone else are welcome to join me if you can ride 10 or 15 miles comfortably. There are great two-tracks, and some intermediate-level singletrack as well, in the Springerville RD and also in the State lands (grasslands areas.) I am usually riding on Sundays with one or two other people who usually want to ride about 12 to 15 miles. Sometimes we ride on Sat. We try to ride somewhere different every weekend. We like new territory! Sometimes we ride more than 15 miles, too.

Anyway, you're welcome to join us if you are up here! We carpool meeting at my friends' place in Eagar. PM me if you'd like more details, and let me know when you'll be around! Also, this Wed. afternoon at about 3:30 I think we are going to ride in the grasslands. Our only real limitation lately has been the rain and the ensuing gluey mud--we've occasionally had to ride in town.

MATT: There always were TWO much more technical events you could ride in the Tour. For the first 9 years, anyway, you could choose amongst four events: 65, 41, 35, and 10 for the little kiddies. This year there are only three events, I think with elimination of the 41.

My friend didn't go ride the Tour route, alas, so I have no reports. I just got my truck out of the shop after major repairs. Maybe I have no more excuses and should drive over there and check out Timber Mesa Trail and Blue Ridge Trail, which are the two dicier sections of the 30-mile event, I'm told. The 65-mile event will have even more of those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: