ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
USGS Quads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 9/7/2008, 12:23 pm    Post subject: USGS Quads Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had posted a link to this a ways back, but they have now moved the files to a "final" location.

These are TIF and DRG files scanned from actual USGS quad maps. They can be downloaded, printed, or manipulated however you want.

Preferred print on a plotter capable of 24x36, or crop just the area you're interested in.

The new link for maps is here

If you're not sure of the quad name you're looking for, check here
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 9/7/2008, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom,

Awesome link~~~thanks. I was looking for some topo maps online for my upcoming Utah trip and this helps immensely.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 9/8/2008, 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Super cool site. And the 24K topos are free. I downloaded the 24K for the Promontory Butte topo quad. It is a 9.4MB tiff and that is high quality resolution. At home I use a non-color laser and print on 8.5x11 paper. I get very resonable prints of about 1/6th of the full map. Thanks for that one.
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 9/8/2008, 10:52 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great links.
I can always use these plus passing them on to friends.

Thanks,
Sherileeaz Cool
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 9/8/2008, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh yeah, they're the real deal. If printed to actual scanned scale, they definitely fill the 24x36 and then some. The cropping mention that I made means that if you open the TIF in a photo editing app like Microsoft Picture Manager, and crop out just the portion of the map you're interested in, it should still print out fairly full scale/resolution on 8.5x11.

These folks did a great job with this. I hope it stays accessible. Donations are wholeheartedly accepted.

Neat part is that all states are included, although some states aren't 100% complete just yet. AZ is one of the more complete collections that I've seen.
sbkelley

PostPosted: 9/8/2008, 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

These are fantastic, Tom. As a regular GIS user, this is quite a helpful tool and I can only imagine how long that took.

I've also come across a site that allows free topo downloads in tandem with black and white (and color, in the urban areas) aerial imagery for most of the US. It's called USAPhotoMaps, located at:

This site does not give you the individual topos like this Libre Map site - rather, it's a mosaic. Donations welcome on that freeware as well.

Thanks for the tip!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: