ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Where's Igo?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/4/2008, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll go with that some people came here when they just got into hiking, were unsure of their abilities and wanted to learn with a group or someone more experienced.

Once they gained confidence in there abilities, they aren't afraid to set-up there own trips separate from the site.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 8/5/2008, 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pleading #1 Life-changes

I've been working on my master's thesis and hope to have it completed by December 2008.

Also received a promotion to a management position at work so that is eating up lots of my time....more time than I really wanted to give up.

And just doing my own thing in whatever spare time I have.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 8/6/2008, 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's not just IGO, many have fallen away from the board. Just take a look at the members from beginning to now. Where are some of those people? Life is full of changes. Personally, I love the interaction here, which includes education, entertainment, excellent photography, planning and anticipation of hikes and many great discussions based on our commonality, "the great outdoors". That is what makes this forum great. What I don't like, and tends to make me spend time elsewhere, is the disrespect that seems to invade internet communities. It's just as bad as litter on the trail. Being an admin here, my desire is to pick it up and pack it out where it belongs, but I've never done that because for the most part the folks here on this site seem to do very well at self governing. There has been many a time when I wanted to not only lock a topic, but delete the pumpkin thing, but human decency always seems to prevail. I've met some friends here that I will know and see for life. I have hiked with many from this site that no longer participate and I will probably never see again in my life, but very much enjoyed the experience with them. I think this forum differs from many because the desire here is to actually get out and walk the talk with those that you meet here. That's how it is with me anyway. And when you're actually face to face (not keyboard to keyboard) there are no flames, except from that campfire which becomes the real forum.
TrailHappy

PostPosted: 8/6/2008, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The reason I joined this site is because I had hoped that the group was a little more geographically dispersed, and that I might be able to find others to hike with someplace closer than a 4-8 hour drive away. I did meet someone who has given me a lot of great information about my own area, though. Thanks Elizabeth!

The reason I quit posting is because after the initial "welcome to this site" no one responded to my posts, and like most of us humans, I don't particularly enjoy being ignored. I do realize, though, that not having met someone in person we might all be less inclined to interact with said person.

So, I'm content with just lurking for that occasional tidbit of great advice or recommendation (love my Spenco supports!) that pops up here on occasion.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/6/2008, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

TrailHappy, please note that from time to time a post does not get responded to pronto because of timing.... if you post on a Friday night often most of your big time posters are out on the trail or busy with other circumstances. Perhaps the boards were very busy and your post got knocked off the front page quickly and people didn't see it. I know I have a tendency to look on the front page and if the post is not on the front page I don't see it for a while till it gets bumped back up to the top. I do not know what post you feel was neglected but there are many reasons why a post wouldn't be responded to....perhaps no one had the answer you were looking for... I don't know. But don't give up on the boards because of a lack of response from time to time....if some one out there has a response it will get posted eventually. The only ones we tend to ignore on purpose are Hooli and Daddee! Wink

I want to shine!
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 8/6/2008, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

TrailHappy... it's true that there may not be a lot of members around Yuma, but we do have a diverse membership. There are a couple of folks from Michigan, a couple from Maryland (yours truly being one) and lots of other places. That's one of the nice parts of this community, everyone is accepted at face value. Everyone can contribute, learn, interact, make lifelong friends and share the outdoors. As I'm sure you've found from monitoring the site, this isn't a place JUST to find people to go on a particular hike with, but folks who genuinely care about each other and share their lives both within the context of hiking and without. At least that's how it "feels" to me.

Everyone has a lot of choices in whom they associate thanks in no small part to the internet. It's amazing to me in a way that with all of the choices, so many people in have found their way to such a life-enriching group to share great experiences with.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/6/2008, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish! Working on your masters! That is way awesome! You go Girl!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: