ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Small, lightweight, waterPROOF camera needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 6/8/2008, 11:29 am    Post subject: Small, lightweight, waterPROOF camera needed Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay, I've come to the conclusion that I need and WANT to purchase another camera. I'd like a small waterproof something or other for the canyoneering trips in my future. Just not possible to dangle from the rope with one hand and shoot with the large DSLR while getting pelted with water in a waterfall.

What have ya got that will fit these requirements?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/8/2008, 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I think one of the few companies that make them are olympus:
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_sw.asp

But the first one I had developed a small circle that would show up on every picture. The second one I had shorted out the 2nd time I took it snorkeling, now we had the model thats waterproof to 30ft. Well see what Olympus does when we sent it in, but quality is suspect in my book.

Although I've met a few people that have had no problems, one guy even found his after it got ran over by a snow cat in the Rockies. Bought a charger and it was working fine for them in St. Maaten. I know Michelle has one as well.
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 6/8/2008, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Small, lightweight, waterPROOF camera needed Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Okay, ...I'd like a small waterproof something or other for the canyoneering trips in my future. . . .What have ya got that will fit these requirements?

The Pentax Optio W30. I have the W20 and use it on my Grand Canyon Trips. My Nankoweap and Tapeats trips were shot with the W20 http://www.flickr.com/photos/7202153@N03/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7202153@N03/sets/72157600219542297/

The W20:
Weighs 5oz.
Great color and saturation in the landscape program mode.
Takes great macros in the macro program mode.
Listed as waterproof to 5' for 2 hours, but that's only because that was their testing certification. I've heard from people that they have used it scuba dived deeper than 5' in salt water. But then you have problems with lighting and refraction.
Drawbacks
3x optical zoom.
No viewfinder, you have to learn to use liveview on the LCD. But that works for me because I can hold the camera above my head or out to the side.
It is a point & shoot so no aperture or shutter speed control other than the program modes.

I'm happy with it and highly recommend it for canyoneering.
I have dropped it 10' and it still works.

PM me if you want more info.
Suz

PostPosted: 6/8/2008, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Al there is a Pentax W60 now that I'm reading about. Seen any of those yet?

Wondering what Minolta and Canon have, too.
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 6/8/2008, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow. I shoulda kept my mouth shut. Now I need to buy this camera for the 5x optical zoom. Does it say what it weighs? If you want to try the W20 on a canyoneering trip, PM me. I'm no longer infatuated with it Sad I mean it. I love your talent.

Minolta and Canon haven't been interested in this market. Canon has water-resistance in their top of the line dSLRs and L lenses. Pentax and Olympus have been going after this market and making gains. Digital cameras are changing daily.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/8/2008, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Suz,
I do have one also like Tim's. So far it has worked for me but haven't had a lot of time lately to test it thoroughly. But it says it is waterproof to I think 10ft, can withstand 200 lbs pressure and can take a drop of 5ft? Can't remember, if you check out the link, it will tell you.
I haven't had the problems with it as Tim has had, at least so far Shocked I dropped it into the icy cold water at Call of the Canyon in FEB GHOTM. It hit a rock or two and the current carried it a bit, but retrieved it promptly. I took pictures after that and the ones before seemed OK too. Only feature I've yet to test is the 200lb pressure test. Don't think I should test my luck. Rolling Eyes
And haven't put disc in to read what it all can do so Haven't played too much with it yet Embarassed Think I just figured out how to take Macro closeups, playing around with it.
So far it has been good for me, light weight and semi indestructible. But also think a few here have a Pentax Optio (not sure which series). Maybe they can provide you some info also.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/8/2008, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like my Olympus for water shots - Small form factor is a plus for me. Lasted me well on the GrandCanyon Raft trip with all the water and sand. Mine came with a flotee leash -- worked well since I washed it overboard more than once.
Hnak

PostPosted: 6/8/2008, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Al there is a Pentax W60 now that I'm reading about. Seen any of those yet?

I also have a W20, and was really happy with it until you informed me of the W60..... I agree with Al_HikesAZ, gotta get one now.... Rolling Eyes
Erock

PostPosted: 6/8/2008, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've got a W20 and it just won't die on me so I can buy a newer model. I've had mine for two years or so and it still works like a champ despite all the abuse I've heaped on it.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/8/2008, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Pentax Optio W30 looks pretty promising. Can take pictures 10' under water for 2 hours.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/optio_w30_pg5.html

Looks like you can get it for $240 and up.
Suz

PostPosted: 7/18/2008, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I settled for the Olympus Stylus 850SW. Pretty much because it was what I could find at the store today. We'l see how it does.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1365
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/18/2008, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine is sitting in the box it came in with a return authorization number back to Olympus. Mine was rated to 30', it went about 2' for about 2 minutes. Took less than 50 pictures.

Good luck with yours, I do know other people that had luck with theres.
Suz

PostPosted: 7/20/2008, 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yep, starting to wonder...........shock proof, waterproof and freeze proof....but will it take pictures????????????????? LOL, I'll try it out a few more times.
bessiehyde

PostPosted: 7/21/2008, 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love my Olympus Stylus 770SW. I got it about 1.5 years ago and have been extremely pleased with the photos, features, and ruggedness. I have taken it on numerous rafting trips with no problems. However, admittedly I have not tried underwater photographs.

To me, the waterproof seal is just as important for sandy, dusty conditions of the southwest.

- Randy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: