ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Rim to Rim
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristyn

PostPosted: 6/27/2008, 7:54 am    Post subject: Rim to Rim Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone planning on doing this hike this year? I miss it and would like a group to tag along with. Of course I would be coming from the opposite direction, but would like to start on the South side.

PM me if so....

Thank you!

Kristyn
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 6/29/2008, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kristyn,

There's a Meetup group from Tucson that is talking about a rim2rim2rim moonlight hike in September. Here's the thread:
http://hiking.meetup.com/447/messages/boards/thread/4221192/0/#15225532

Bill
IGO

PostPosted: 6/29/2008, 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The never ending conquest of nature. People could get the same trophys running up and down the bleachers.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/30/2008, 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Or Maybe it's a fun hike and challenge with scenery that can't be beat. I don't have any trophy's hanging on my wall. Quit hating.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/30/2008, 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh IGO, we do this one every year. We love it for so many reasons. Have ya ever spent any time at the little falls past Cottonwood? It is wonderful and a great place to play. You run into so many interesting people and the views are just like any other views in the Canyon. They just can't be beat. Avoiding "asinine" hill is also a fun activity. One year we spent a good 45 min with Bruce Aiken visiting and learning. This is one of my favorite hikes and I will do it as long as I can. Not for any trophies but for the sheer pleasure of experiencing it even if the weather is the crappiest yet! There are always so many things to share during and after the hike..... Smile IGO Bouncing and hike your own hike! Hiking Hug

I want to shine!
sbkelley

PostPosted: 6/30/2008, 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Conquest of nature? Or tour of the greatest outdoor geology classroom in the country?

That's one of the most scenic hikes West of the 100th meridian - around every corner is another incredible vista or interesting cliff, waterfall, creek, or fellow hiker. One of the best things about that trek is starting in the chilly air of one rim, basking in the warm sun near Phantom Ranch, and pulling that sweatshirt on again on the other side.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/30/2008, 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I guess I failed to mention that we do it in a bit of a laid back manner... we spend two nights on the North Rim before we hike back! Mr. Green

I want to shine!
IGO

PostPosted: 6/30/2008, 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sbkelley wrote:
Conquest of nature? Or tour of the greatest outdoor geology classroom in the country?

That's one of the most scenic hikes West of the 100th meridian - around every corner is another incredible vista or interesting cliff, waterfall, creek, or fellow hiker. One of the best things about that trek is starting in the chilly air of one rim, basking in the warm sun near Phantom Ranch, and pulling that sweatshirt on again on the other side.

I believe in all those things but if one goes to the grand canyon to break records thenvastly the only thing being witnessed are the trail runners on the feat. I shouldn't complain though, I almostt never go through the corridor.
Don't call me a hater Tim. I've watched the grand canyon turn from one of the most spiritual and peaceful places on the earth into a tourist trap and a race track.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 6/30/2008, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I believe in all those things but if one goes to the Grand Canyon to break records then vastly the only thing one sees are the trail runners on their feet. I shouldn't complain though, I almost never go through the corridor.
Don't call me a hater Tim. I'm defending my canyon. I've watched the Grand Canyon turn from one of the most spiritual and peaceful places on the earth into a tourist trap and a race track. You are a very personable character but I've never heard you speak a world of conservation or picking up trash on the trail or even wondering what kind of impact illegal emissions or modified 4x4 suspensions have on a place. Tell me one real contribution you've made to a place you've taken so much from. Once upon a time the majority of hikers used to toss in to keep these places pristine. Now it seems more and more every day that it is expected that these places should just magically remain pristine and beautiful thru some form of attrition and for cripes sake, entitlement.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 6/30/2008, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This thread is starting to take a turn from a simple question to a (pretty uncalled for) personal attack. Let's try to stay on topic and save the "those ultra-athletes got no respect" for another time, eh?

Kerouac
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 6/30/2008, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

hey Im willing to do a R2R, but what then? shuttle back after a campout or is it a R2R, camp and R2R again?
confused Neutral

what i do
sbkelley

PostPosted: 6/30/2008, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
I almost never go through the corridor.

Thankfully, that's where most of the blitzkrieg stays. For sure, there are trail runners rampaging across it setting records - records most of us could never (and have no desire to) break. But many of us still enjoy the splendid views along the Kaibab trails and if one can ignore the crowds, it's a rewarding trek.

I think the reason we all love the Grand Canyon is those other trails or routes...the ones devoid of crowds, where we can all have our personal moment with the Canyon, easy to do away from the corridor, as you're well aware of.

I also know for a fact that Tim's been on a number of these routes and I know for certain has a similar appreciation for this natural wonder. And I guarantee you that everybody on this site, in some form or another, has and will continue to pitch in to protect the places they love and travel to. No need for attacks, we're all on the same side here.

And Mike:

When I did my only rim-to-rim, we had a group of non-hikers camping with us on the North Rim and they shuttled our car around to the South. One option I've heard: have two groups going in opposite directions, and swap keys half-way.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/30/2008, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike in years past I used to set up the rim to rim and do it as a key swap. We would have a group on both ends swap keys and drive each others cars around. If you don't have a few people or some friends that want to camp on the other side, then yes it can be a logistical pita.

IGO, no I haven't done any trailwork, yes I have picked up trash on numerous occasions, sorry I didn't come back and brag about the wrapper I picked up and shoved in my pocket without thinking about it. Heck on Mt. Whitney I even packed out a tupperware container that was left at the campsite, heck even packed my own crap off the mountain---literally. I've spent two weeks working with Habitat for Humanity building houses for less fortunate families in the west valley. Also painted a Senior Rec Center in Downtown Phoenix. Spent 14 hours working security one day working to raise money for a local youth athletics and educational programs. Hope I qualify to keep hiking in your world.

Yes I have a Jeep and it's seen about 2k miles since I bought it in March. I drive a Honda Civic, get me a car in the same price range that gets better MPG and I would love to drive it too.

I have no problem if someone chooses that canyon to attempt a personal challenge. Would a marathon in Phoenix which probably goes through 100,000 paper cups be a better place? I've challenged myself in the canyon and even timed a few hikes, it's beautiful place hiking climbing camping or running. If I only have 12 hours to spend in the canyon to be able to see it, I have no problem taking a quick Rim-River and back trip. I would rather squeeze a trip in and have to hike a littler harder or a little faster than sit on my rear at home doing nothing.

-TIM-
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 7/1/2008, 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

On the rare occasion that I actually leave my house to get fresh air, I sometimes pile into my Hummer H1 (which get 4 gallons to the mile, really!) and drive to the Grand Canyon. At the Canyon, my route is the same every time; corridor trails only. I find it comforting to be around a lot of other fellow outdoor users in case something goes wrong. I don't trust my navigational skills any more than I could topple a balanced rock, so I usually leave a trail of granola bar wrappers so that I could find my way back up the Bright Angel Trail.
I'll be darned if I don't usually find Tim cleaning up my mess. What the heck Tim? Are you trying to get me killed out here? Then we hike up to the Rim together and compare gas-guzzling 4WD's. Then I usually go off and make some new trails through the Kaibab NF, chasing and stressing out the elk. Good times! I guess I know what I'm doing this coming weekend!

IGO, what's going on dude!? You've been getting somewhat curmudgeony lately. Kristyn didn't say anything about "setting records", she just wants to go for a hike. Who cares if it's R2R or the Escalante Route (almost as popular)? At least she is seeing the greatest natural wonder in the world, and she's not sitting on her butt in front of the TV at home. And what exactly does her wanting to hike have to do with anyone's service record? Do you honestly think that Tim, being in the Air Force, is not serving the community, both outdoors and in his own neighborhood. Get a grip on yourself. Nobody's taking your Canyon away from you. There is nothing to defend.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/1/2008, 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO -- I do not see the need for this entirely unjustifed attack on a number of people in this thread. This was a post about hiking - just a hiker looking for a hike.

And so what if some one times their hike and wants to best their prior performance.....

Every place get discovered and there is a segment that does not like it. When places get discovered - they stand the chance of protection and care ( Yeah the world would have been a better place w/o humans) -- look at what happend to Glen Canyon - " a less discovered place that was lost forever". I'd have been glad to see it discovered and had the opportunity to hike there ( along with some speed demons and power bar wrappers & a few bottles!) than have to wonder what's under a lake!

IGO -- every one contributes back in one way or another. Lets get this thread back to where it belongs -- about hiking Hiking
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: