ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
15 minute maps--a treasure trove

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/14/2008, 8:49 pm    Post subject: 15 minute maps--a treasure trove Reply to topic Reply with quote

When I moved to Hawaii 30 years ago, I left a whole bunch of maps at my brother's apartment in Mission Beach. After that he moved to Boulder, CO, then to Iowa, then back to San Diego, and now he lives in Idaho.

Imagine my amazement to find out that he still had my maps! He sent them to me this week--37 quads in all.

They are all from California. A lot are from San Diego County, (including Anza-Borrego area) and a few from the Sierras, including Mt. Whitney, Lone Pine, Triple Divide Peak, Kern Peak, etc. Also quite a few from the San Bernardino Mtns. The dates of publication range from the 1940's to about 1960. One is Santa Margarita Peak, 1941. When I looked at it very closely I realized it is the Camp Pendleton area, before there was a Camp Pendleton! That map is to be framed and given as a gift to my son, who is a Marine stationed there!

There are several plats that cover the Navy-owned island 50 miles off the coast, San Clemente Island, (not to be confused with Catalina Island nor with the town of San Clemente) where I spent many a weekend helping to round up feral goats from '74 to '77.

Interestingly, there are some 7.5 minute series among the collection. They are mostly of Borrego desert area, and are dated about 1960. I hadn't remembered that 7.5's were available at that time--I had thought that only 15's were available then. However, I don't believe you could get 7.5's for every area back then.

Anyone else enjoy old maps?
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 6/15/2008, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love maps, old and new! My friends (with the house in Pinetop) bought me a huge map of the Grand Canyon and then made me a custom frame for it. I will receive it this week. I am too excited!
I would love to see your Anza Borrego maps. Liz and I visited there over Christmas last year and absolutely fell in love with the place. I'm surprised that not more people are talking about that area.
Your son is going to love that gift! He is very lucky! It sounds like you do indeed have a "treasure trove."
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/16/2008, 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, Matt,

Didn't you and I have a conversation about Adler/Alder Canyon, near Sheep and Cougar Canyons, in Anza-Borrego? Well, I have both a 15 and a 7.5 with that area, and both are dated 1960. The 15 has it as "Adler," but the 7.5 says "Alder." Additionally, it seems you and Letty said your maps show a jeep road going up it. Look again to see if the jeep road just goes up the wide part. When the canyon splits into North and South Forks, does it show any jeep road? We hiked the North Fork, as I recall. Rough little sucker, that one. I find it hard to believe they would have punched a road up through there. Name of that 7.5 that I have is Bucksnort Mtn.

I love those big Canyon maps. Did they order it through the USGS D.C. office? You will probably spend hours just staring at it! Smile
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 6/16/2008, 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love any and all maps. The old maps are better for some things IMO. They tend to show sites of interest more than the newer ones. BLM maps are pretty good to show roads and sites like wells, springs and mines. Forest maps are a compliment to TOPO for general road lay out.
I have a large living room and a few days ago had the entire floor covered with maps-- the Gila, the Uintahs, and a couple of local maps. I just sat on the floor for a couple of hours making notes and making plans. I get all excited when I look at my maps for things to come.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/16/2008, 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Me too! Even if I have to stay close to home this summer, it's amazing when I start looking at maps, I can see, well, I haven't climbed that peak, or hiked up that creek. There's a lot of rimrock I haven't walked yet looking for petroglyphs. Within 30 miles of here I can still do a lot of exploring.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 6/16/2008, 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wish you hadn't brought this topic up on Sunday night. How am I going to concentrate on work this week?

My Anza Borrego shows a jeep road going to/and stopping at the fork of North and South Adler Canyons. I haven't been to that canyon yet. Next time.

I'm not sure where my friends bought the GC map. I'll ask. They bought one for themselves; and they also have beautiful large maps of Apache NF, Sitgreaves NF, and several amazing large maps of AZ. All of them are in custom frames that they made themselves (they own a high-end custom furniture business. They are very talented woodworkers.) and the maps are all hanging in a room in the house in Pinetop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: