ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
June GHOTM --Wet Beaver Creek -- 6/28/08
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(9) (7)
User
Hnak
Davis2001R6
ck1
Sande J
Tom Treks
paintninaz
jdahling
beckett
outside1
User
Trishness
mike
wolfmoms
MChiker
liza_k
azbackpackr
steve
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Suz
PostPosted: 5/13/2008, 8:34 pm    Post subject: June GHOTM --Wet Beaver Creek -- 6/28/08 Reply with quote

* * * June Group Hike of the Month * * *

Let's hike, swim, float and cool off at Wet Beaver Creek near Camp Verde!! We'll eat afterwards at that great Mexican food place "La Fonda" a little ways west of 17 on 260.

Saturday, June 28th
Meet at the trailhead parking lot at 8:30am
Approx 6-7 hours in the area then well head for a late lunch or early dinner. Thinking we'll be back in the Valley by 7pm-ish, if not sooner.

This is a day hike. Wet Beaver Creek really is a beautiful oasis. The trail is wide and easy to follow for the first part, in fact I think it's an old jeep trail. If you like Sedona and love West Fork of Oak Creek, try this creek.The distance is 3 easy flat miles (or 6 roundtrip)to the main waterhole and then however far we can get after that. Elevation gain 280ft. The rest of the hike is in and out of the water. Participants should expect to be wet and prepared for swimming or floating AND a pile of fun.

Driving Directions:
Directions to trail: From Phoenix go North on Highway I-17 to the Sedona Exit which is SR179. Do not turn left to go to Sedona. Instead turn right, this is FR618. Follow FR618 2 miles and turn left onto FR618A. Follow the signs to the trailhead. This is a great trail. Carpools can be set up on an as needed basis.

http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=7
Some people may want to stop and enjoy this main waterhole while others (like me) will press on through some of the 18 pools of water.

RECOMMENDED GEAR
-water shoes
-dry sack
-tube or other floation device (I like a tube on this one)
-hiking pole
-quick dry clothes or swim suit

More information coming............

oliverr99

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am very sorry to hear that Suz. Glad you got checked early. That is one of my to do list items, go to to the dermatologist. Best Wishes!
YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Best wishes for you.
Since you can't lead this one you'll just have to "lead" the GBBQOTM! I'm sure there will be pleanty of takers for that one. I've heard the rumors about you guys and food!
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Bummer news here.............skin cancer biopsy results just came in Crying or Very sad and unfortunately it's not so good. Two out of the three biopsies were fine and healing well but one is not. I'm scheduled for surgery on June 24th. Because the cancer site (basal cell carcinoma) is on my leg and because this is a water hike I'm not going to be able to do this hike. Please accept my apology.

There are so many people interested in this one I'm really hoping that one of you will step up to lead this hike in my place. Maybe I'll meet you all afterwards for Mexican food.

If you haven't had your "head to toe" skin cancer screening it is a good idea for all of us living in Arizona...the sooner the better.

Amen to that!
Just had my annual checkup and only a few actinic karitosis lesions on scalp that had to be zapped with liquid nitrogen. Certainly nothing as serious as you; glad you got it checked and good thoughts coming your way.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz, sorry to hear about your skin cancer. Now I'm all paranoid, being as white as I am and everything. I'm sure you'll heal up just fine; you're a tough gal!!

I'd lead this, but I have to go to some sort of marriage classes that weekend. That's what I get for agreeing to get married in the Catholic church. Sad
Suz

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for your well wishes---I'm sure I'll be fine but it does increase my risk of developing more cancer and worse crap by about 40% for the next 5 years. It's a good idea to error on the side of caution. They are telling me that the cancer is the cause of the slower healing of this particular biopsy site. The original spot was the size of a regular mole, but I suspect it will be more like the size of a nickel by the time they finish. Once they do the surgery and remove all of the cancer I should finally heal up...sun and green slime pools are not in my future for awhile. If you've got insurance the dermatologist is a worthy trip to make.

Thanks Matt for considering to lead the hike...you know I was thinking you were an option. We'll keep our fingers crossed that someone else will handle it. Wink
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh Suz, Sorry to hear about your biopsy results. I was keeping my fingers crossed for an "All Clear". Glad you caught it now and are getting it taken care of immediately. Wishing you a quick recovery.

I would lead the hike but it will be only to the 1st few pools since I have not gone too far in and would not feel confident is "leading" a water hike... Confused
Suz

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm thinking you all could just follow the water flow................... Rolling Eyes
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Susan. I agree with Letty most all of us at one time or another probably used that darn baby oil to get that golden tan.
Hope all heals up well for you. Stay positive, with all the medical advances they have perfected thus far you have a good chance of no re-occurrence. If this brings any comfor, my fair skinned Irish uncle worked outdoors his entire life and they found multiple spots on his face in his early 40's, but was treated early. No further reoccurrences and he is in his late 70's. There is hope.
You'll have to keep vigilent in using that high dose SPF and protect your skin and keep checking on it. Think it is better to know than not, at least that way you can react.

I won't be making this one, my class did not get cancelled, soo I'm gonna be edumacated and try to become Smart! Wink

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you won't be able to make your own hike. I'm sure you will be better in no time though. Glad you got it checked out though, at least your getting it taken care of.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If the truth be known Matt most churches make ya take classes before they will marry you. So don't blame the Catholics! Wink P.S. I am not a Cathollic, just messin' with your mind!

I am sorry to hear of your skin issues Susan. I am certain that with your early intervention all will go well. Can't offer to lead the hike but I am sure it could be a leaderless hike if need be as there really isn't much of a way to get lost....

I want to shine!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I'm going on the hike regardless, never been there so don't know how much of a leader I would be, but I'm willing to "wing" it. Just another place to research now.

-TIM-
mick

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz-May you get well soon and be back on the trail. This hike was my first in Arizona and got me hooked on the best State of the Union. I have done it a lot while my wife worked up in Sedona. I usually go across Bell Crossing to the top of the rim and then come back down and soak in the watering hole. I would love to join you all but will be away that weekend.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
If the truth be known Matt most churches make ya take classes before they will marry you. So don't blame the Catholics! Wink P.S. I am not a Cathollic, just messin' with your mind!

Oh, yeah, I know. I just needed someone to blame for making me miss a cool hike. Wink
oliverr99

PostPosted: 6/10/2008, 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Could we meet up somewhere, so some of us don't get lost, Confused ?

Um, what is up with the cat shooting? The avatar...
paintninaz

PostPosted: 6/10/2008, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oliverr99 wrote:
Um, what is up with the cat shooting? The avatar...

Hooli got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.... Rolling Eyes

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: