ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
What do you use for staying found and knowing where you are?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you use for staying found and knowing where you are?
Topo Maps + GPS
39%
 39%  [ 13 ]
GPS Only
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Topo Maps + Compass
30%
 30%  [ 10 ]
Topo Maps + Compass + Beacon ( SPOT etc)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Topo Maps + GPS + Beacon (SPOT etc)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
30%
 30%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 33

IGO

PostPosted: 6/8/2008, 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GPS are a blast. I almost never look at mine when hiking but I hike off route at lake mead very regularly and carry it with me always. Sometimes I end up twisted up in some very strange places and it's cool to have a record of that. When I get home I upload that days trac to a digital Topo so I can find something interesting again if I want to but mostly I past the trac to a map of the area with many other tracs I've pasted. Zoom out and after 4 years it is starting to become evidant just how much real-estate I've covered and what seems to be areas I gravitate to. Cool toy.
I have to admit though, in recording tracs as I go I am often times braver heading further into un-known territory knowing that I have recorded set by step instruction for going back out exactly the same way I came in YET i've never had to use the GPS for that function.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: