ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Arizona Then and Now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 6/3/2008, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Arizona Then and Now Reply to topic Reply with quote

A little trip back in time....

http://www.azpbs.org/arizonastories/thenandnow.htm

Clink on the link above...
Roll your cursor over the THEN image to reveal the exact location as it is NOW.
si na ti

PostPosted: 6/3/2008, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very cool Sande. Interesting how some places have changed entirely while others very little.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/4/2008, 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice, thanks. Could some of the photog's here discuss the different lenses? Even though some features in the photos are from the exact same vantage point, the difference in lenses give different perspectives on some of the features.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/4/2008, 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Interesting Sande. Sure makes a difference when you look at some of these where streets/bldgs didn't change much but cars line them. Makes it look much smaller an less open. Some pics were kinda sad to see, like Ajo and Springerville, but there is a purpose to things I guess. Scottsdale sure looks waay different. And railroads were a major impact here.

Ever been to the old Natural Springs spa out in Apache Jct with the little cottages? Was a Hot spot for Hollywood celebs in the 30's. I Had to go just look at it. The 2 sisters that ran it are/were still there, 30's makeup and all and very nice. Pictures on walls of the old place in it's Hey Day. Tempe Historical or Mesa museums have a section showing pictures of the old towns prior to the roads and build up. Pretty interesting to see that Tempe was like the last outpost and a central hub before the open desert. Minimal, only one or two dirt streets to get to Scottsdale and Mesa or beyond. It is unfortunate that they tear down most all old structures to put up new. It is important to Progress, but sometimes I think it is important to keep some of the old to keep a perspective of where it all came from. New is good but old can be important to keep. I have an issue where orig High School bldg I went to was torn down and only a rock with a plaque exists now. Yes, it needed repair and part of ceiling plaster fell one day while I was in Geometry class, but could have been used to store supplies or such .... It was the 1st High school built West of the Appalachian's. History now all gone.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Daryl

PostPosted: 6/4/2008, 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
Nice, thanks. Could some of the photog's here discuss the different lenses? Even though some features in the photos are from the exact same vantage point, the difference in lenses give different perspectives on some of the features.

it's probably more the difference in locations/angles not being exactly the same? And/or making up for location with a wider or more telephoto lens (example: being 100 feet further back then the original photo but using a more telephoto lens)? That could make the mountains seem more or less spread out in the background.
Calamity J

PostPosted: 6/5/2008, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

New is good but old can be important to keep.

That is so true. I am so attracted to the historical perspective of our land.
I think I was born in the wrong era.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 6/6/2008, 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Visit the Landmark Restaurant in Mesa, some old photos along the Apache Trail. I have several of the books and there is aslo a series of books of communitites across the state with old photographs. I think the hot springs resoort that is metioned is the one located in East Mesa. Visit and check out the place the walls contain metates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: