ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Help me lighten my load!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daryl

PostPosted: 5/8/2008, 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Along with looking at your pack I'd look in the mirror. Losing 5, 10, 15 pounds is much more effective then spending and sacraficing to save a pound or two in your pack.

I'm down 20 pounds and shooting for 15 more. I feel great, I didn't realize I needed to or even could lose that weight.
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/8/2008, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can ditto that! I have lost 10 lbs. this spring, and plan to lose about another 10, but I really notice it when hiking. I don't huff and puff nearly as much! It just seems a lot easier to go up the hill! And I am not even in top form as I am working full time and doing online school, so really I don't get enough exercise.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 5/8/2008, 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lately, I have not been doing nearly as much cardio as I would like to be and I have nearly cut out weight lifting altogether. I have a lot of excuses. Somehow though, over the past 2 months or so, I have dropped about 10 lbs. I would like to drop another 10.
The immediate benefit that I have noticed is that I am rock climbing stronger than ever. Less weight to pull up the cliff. The only drawback is that I now have to spend a bunch money to buy new pants. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

It's fun to buy new gear and find ways to reduce pack weight (to me it is anyway), but I find that I am much more interested in learning how to be healthy and in shape than I am interested in the latest ultra-light gadgetry. So I suppose I agree with Daryl.

Even if I lose more weight, I'm still going to do my part to stimulate the economy and buy new stuff that I don't need. Try and stop me!!

Very Happy Very Happy
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/10/2008, 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As for the economic stimulus ("Bush Money") I had thought we'd get $1200, married filing jointly, but we only got $600, a couple of days ago. (Only one of us has income from employment--me; could that be the reason?) I was seriously bummed about it because most of it is going to pay my property taxes, the rest to stock up on groceries. Sigh....

Seriously, I work in a backpack manufacturing business (firefighters' backpacks) and probably could make that kayaking skirt pretty easily--at least one good enough for beginner's lessons. I just need to see one to see how it's attached to the boat. (Anyone know if it's bungee cord or parachute cord with barrel lock? You have to be able to get out of it in a hurry!) I assume that where it goes around your waist you can use parachute cord with a barrel lock.

Hubby has lost about 50 lbs. He won't say how many lbs.--he's funny about that. He has fibromyalgia and neuropathy, both of which cause mind-altering, very debilitating pain, mostly in his back, which is not relieved very well by the various medications he has to take. Anyway, he has been doing a lot of walking in the forest and recently I fixed his bike, and now he is doing some riding around town. Yesterday he walked nine miles (at a 2 mph pace) in two segments and rode the bike 5 miles in two segments. He was thrilled with this progress.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 5/10/2008, 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congrats on your husbands progress! Judging from things you've said in the past, this sounds like real progress. Maybe he'll be joining you for easier hikes soon?

As far as the stimulus check, if your husband did not file any taxes for last year, then he does not get a check. I got mine yesterday and I've managed to spend $200 already!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/10/2008, 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, we always file jointly, but Soc. Sec. disability is non-taxable, although it is entered onto the tax form.

We already are doing lots of short, easy hikes, mostly not very steep. He goes out to walk in the woods a lot when I'm at work, also. He has about a 2 mph pace, but can keep at it steadily. As for overnights, the problem is the hard ground, of course. He probably needs the biggest, thickest Thermarest there is! I can carry the tent, cook kit, food, etc. because we wouldn't be going very far, and I can schlep 40 lbs. easily if I have to. We did this once, before he was in the second car accident.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 5/10/2008, 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have to agree, I have been trying to lose weight for my Havasupai trip. I have lost 9 lbs. I wish I could lose more, but I feel as though I am stuck...maybe now that teacher appreciation week is over, I could it healthier Rolling Eyes
I am always trying to find ways to lose weight in my load, and on myself. I am going to carry a tent, but it only weighs 1 lb. I love it! I am just going to dredge climbing out of Havasupai! Crazy
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 5/10/2008, 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Add me to the loosers list. On a recent trail project the 65+ crowd was kicking my butt and that was the trigger to finally get me to get with it. Have a long way to go but gotta start somewhere.
PageRob

PostPosted: 5/10/2008, 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me lighten my load! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Please be aware, I am not an ultralighter. You can carry bucketloads of weight around if you are trained for it. However, if this was my pack, this is what I'd do...

Pack- Lowe Alpine Ophir 5
Thermarest stuff sack
http://www.rei.com/product/719814
Camelback MULE- a bit heavy i know! I do long dayhikes from Phantom plus my pack doesn't have a bladder compartment. Drives me nuts but it was given to me by a friend so I can't complain!
http://www.rei.com/product/733668

Ditch the extra thing, and put a bladder in an outside pocket. Looks like, from the photos I can find, there are a couple on each side. Worst comes to worst simply put the bladder under the top flap before you cinch it down - keeps it snug. I used a similar method on a old pack for years before getting a real pack.

Winter Clothing:
Adidas trail runners Tevas or flip-flops, depending on what you'll be using them for. If just around camp, flip-flops work fine. If you'll be hiking in whatever you bring, Tevas.
Garmont boots (worn)
2 pair socks (1 worn)
Columbia quick dry shorts Why do you have shorts listed under winter clothing? If this is a winter pack list, ditch the shorts.
Northface Vaporwick l/s tee
Duofold quick dry tee Ditch this too, if its winter.
American Apparel s/s tee Ditto
pairs undies (clean drawers are a must for me) I will not begrudge you this - I understand this sentiment, and undies aren't terribly heavy.
bandanna Wear this or ditch it.
Northface flight series jacket (worn)You have two jackets you wear/bring with you? That seems a bit much.
Columbia shell (worn)
long underwear (worn)
gloves (worn)

Toiletries:
travel toothbrush
small hairbrush Ditch
sunscreen
travel shampoo Ditch
toothpaste

I'd also almost recommend ditching the toothbrush and toothpaste, and just bringing floss, which can be a multi-purpose item indeed. Do you bring any first aid type things (band-aid, mole skin, etc.) or water purification? The below sounds good too, except maybe ditch the flask if you're already bringing vodka in a bottle.

Food:
3 liters water
snickers bar or luna bar
baked tofu, 1/2 pack
sandwich or bagel
1 bottle vodka- a present for the ranchers and completely necessary
flask

Misc.:
Canon A430 camera
headlamp
vitamins, in ziploc bag
cacsru

PostPosted: 6/1/2008, 1:39 am    Post subject: cacsru Reply to topic Reply with quote

nlQjbn <a href="http://ktwwfwaurnfi.com/">ktwwfwaurnfi</a>, eamopbbuisxk, [link=http://fmkygwpwlhpg.com/]fmkygwpwlhpg[/link], http://eflheflsdusu.com/
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/1/2008, 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BTW, I suggest that no-one click on any of these links 'cause I have no idea where they take you and I sure ain't gonna try to find out.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/1/2008, 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks very much for staying on top of this stuff for us while GTG and the crew are gone.
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/1/2008, 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, in addition to these that are somehow bypassing our so called security registration process and posting, I'm also deleting about half a dozen or so spammers that have registered, but not posted.

So much for our highly touted upgrade(?) toward the end of last year that was supposed to eliminate crap like this; it's actually worse now than it was before the upgrade.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/1/2008, 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
So much for our highly touted upgrade(?) toward the end of last year that was supposed to eliminate crap like this; it's actually worse now than it was before the upgrade.

I very much doubt that the upgrade has contibuted to the problems but spammers are ever working to identify holes in systems and exploit them for their own ends. Its an endless threadmill to stay ahead - volunteer sites are the most at risk 'cause means to keep plugging the holes are limited - a one time upgrade will not resolve the problem permanently!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/2/2008, 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Like Amibka said, It is a never ending battle. You think you got it covered and the next thing you know an new one is there. Just don't want you to get bored Hooli, they are looking out for your sanity Wink Wait a minute what am I saying? I don't know if that can ever happen? Just kidding Mr. Green

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: