ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The ULTIMATE athletes foot cure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/29/2008, 9:38 pm    Post subject: The ULTIMATE athletes foot cure Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not sure how many of you have ever suffered the agony of athletes foot or hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating of the feet). All that gross peeling and itching is enough to make you want to scream!!! It's pretty nasty when you are out on the trails for a week at a time and it flares up and invades your socks/shoes and makes your life misery. It seems to take forever to eradicate the fungus among us.

My podiatrist recommended some OTC remedies that seem to be working for me so I figured I would share them.

*Soak your feet in Epsom Salts and hot water for 20 mins~~~dry well (I use a blow dryer to dry between the toes)
*Apply a Dakins solution to affected areas (Dakins solution is a diluted bleach solution with purified water and baking soda) Bleach kills everything!!!
http://doreen.mkbmemorial.com/NF/dakins.pdf
*Get some Gentian Violet solution and apply it with a Q-tip to affected areas BID (twice a day) for 2 weeks
This stuff stains your feet a lovely shade of bright purple so apply it and
let it dry.

The staining from the Gentian will eventually wear off. The relief was immediate for me and after two weeks my foot problem was completely cured.

I have Happy Feet again!!!

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/30/2008, 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! My son suffers this occasionally--I will send it on to him.
threedogz

PostPosted: 5/30/2008, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How to avoid athletes feet: plain old cornstarch (prevents diaper rash as well)
- put some in your sock

Just make sure you don't put too much in to cause a dust cloud when you walk.

Bonus use: later on after the hike, you can the used cornstarch as a secret ingredient for gravy to enhance dry campfire meat.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 5/30/2008, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cornstarch=shampoo
rub it in, comb it out

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: