ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Another Lightweight Nerd's Packweight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 3/17/2008, 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well Mike,
I'm still working on getting my stuff down, little at a time. But I also took advantage and bought that pack you mentioned. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. And I watched that Dang video with the tent too!! Rolling Eyes I don't think I could do a bivy. I saw Mary's when Trish, I and Mary did Haunted Canyon, too confining for me. I saw a post from BOYNhisDog about a year or two back with a pic of what he used and I liked his set up. But I think it was a self made tarp and some kind of mesh but the whole side was open, much like this tent. But it sure looked pretty similar to the tent in the video. I've been looking for something like that since I saw BOYNhisDog's post. God only knows I need/want to bring my pack weight down. I'm just keeping at it, little at a time, I'll get there. Tommy had his pack at the March GHOTM and was discussing his gear for his upcoming venture on the PCT, so I'll gleen help wherever I can get it, to help me. Good thing I only have 1 hiking pole left, now that gives me an excuse to look for something new and light Wink .

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/17/2008, 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

the REI UL carbon adjustable poles combined with the GG "the ONE" shelter would be a beautiful thing, indeed.
sheesh, if I only knew GG was selling so many packs, Id ask for a kick-back Rolling Eyes

what i do
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 3/17/2008, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pack Light, Pack Right
4/2/2008
6:30 PM

Join us as we provide tips for reducing pack weight without sacrificing product performance or overall comfort. Pack Light, Pack Right reflects the continuing evolution of the light-gear concept. Learn how the latest technology and materials are being used to create products that are among the lightest on the market, while maintaining comfort, function and durability. Clinic topics include clothing, backpacks, shelters, sleep systems, food and cooking supplies. Location: REI Tempe

Cost: Free
Registration Required? No.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 5/12/2008, 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been going ultralight for several years now.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/13/2008, 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Maryphyl -- What is usually in your pack ?
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/13/2008, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since I am also trying to get lighter in my backpacking, I checked out the packs Mike mentioned in his March posting: Gossamer Miniposa, ULA Amp, GoLite Jam2 and GG Vapor Ki......Seems like there is only one that fits short torsos <14 inches. The GG short fits 15-18", the GoLite short is 16-18", ULA Amp is 15-18". The Miniposa is the only one that fits <14".

It was suggested to me to buy a youth's pack but they weigh the same as my current Kelty. I guess no manufacturer thinks that munchkins actually backpack.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.

PostPosted: 5/13/2008, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish dont forget Mountain Laurel Designs
they have adjustable back panels on some of their packs and you might see something you like. here's one and the "kids prophet" is even smaller. I think the X-small Exodus pack will work for you. Because these are frameless packs, there is quite a bit of fudge room. *meaning you can take it down to less than the recommended torso lenght. But hey, nothing wrong with chocolate either.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/13/2008, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GUEST,

Nice suggestion but checking out the sizing, X-small fits 17"+ (?? WHERE do they get this sizing from????) and 5'2"-5'6" and that doesn't fit my stats. How many 5'2" people have a 17" torso???? And at $170, it better fit like a glove, feel like a massage after 8-10 miles and come with a lifetime supply of chocolate. The kids Prophet fits 14" and up. So neither one will fit me. But thanks for the suggestions.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/14/2008, 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish -- my 2c -- I have have schelped around many a pack -- some that fit based on their recommendations others based on how they felt ...most notably the Bora Arcteryx Mens pack in S. This pack is by far the best fit and comfort even though if I look at the stats I should not be having this one ...

I now carry a Granite Gear Vaport Ki (S) -- fits well and is much lighter.
My torso is short but in general a small pack works well.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 5/14/2008, 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish, GG doesnt have any Miniposa's in small. they are all sold out until next year's improved model hits the shelves. If you can wait till the fall, they will have a pack for you. Miniposa is pro'lly the most feature rich backpack that still comes in at under a pound. I just ordered one at the sell-em-out cost of $100
my other pack is a 1600 cubic inch Cuben Fiber "blast" made by Joe at Zpacks.com
he might be able to help you on your quest. he made the smaller "blast" for me at a special request.

maryphyl wrote:
I have been going ultralight for several years now.
one of these days some of us veteran UL folks will have to post some of our pack lists to aid in the aspiring UL'ers goals. Then again, Fairweather's pack list is a great place to start. Everything listed is all you (should) need to stay warm, dry, well fed and hydrated. First Law of Gravitational Dynamics: less weight=less weight=less weight and so on. Good luck and godspeed on your endeavors.

what i do
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/14/2008, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I suppose I just some day will have to leave my camera gear at home. Last trip combined camera gear was around 7 lbs. Small camera = great pictures (repeat )...

How much food do you carry per day ? I have heard 1lb/day (ensuring adequate calories intake ofcourse) is a good rule of thumb. My biggest weight overage comes from snacks -- What do UL folks carry by way of snacks ?

One area where I can look to reduce weight us with the tent --but I am partial to a fully enclosed tent that keeps me DRY! Every long backpack trip has been blessed with at least 1 rain/snow/mega-wind day - I think I will look into lighter 2 person + gear space tents . I am sure I can trim down the 4lbs (for a 2 person tent) I am at.

I also think its easier to go lighter in summer!
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 5/15/2008, 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i carry food that packs at least 100 calories per ounce. base that on distance, amount of elevation change and other conditions and about 3000 calories works for me-on average (per day).
always try to use high energy (calorie) food. hauling along a 4oz pack of Tuna that only gives you 170 calories is a good way to lose weight. Try a 3oz ProBar instead, 370 calories per bar.
desertgirl wrote:
What do UL folks carry by way of snacks ?
Pro'lly the same thing you carry. I like ProBars. Wink

what i do
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 5/15/2008, 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

this is considered my summer weight gear- its what I use from now until october-

----------------- Clothing -----------------
1 beanie cap 1.2
2 extra socks 1.5
3 montbell down vest 3.7
0 lbs + 6.4 ozs
----------------- Gear -----------------
4 petzl e+lite 0.95
5 platypus 1 ltr 0.8
6 platypus 1 ltr 0.8
7 simple first aid kit 3
0 lbs + 5.55 ozs
----------------- Gear/CampSleep -----------------
8 hammock sleeping pad 3.7
9 hammock w/ tarp 23.6
10 top quilt, 35 degree 12.7
2 lbs + 8 ozs
----------------- Gear/Cooking -----------------
11 cookpot, stove, lighter, lid, fuel bottle 4.3
12 light my fire spork 0.35
0 lbs + 4.65 ozs
----------------- Gear/Packs -----------------
13 Z-Packs Blast, custom cuben fiber 3.9
0 lbs + 3.9 ozs
----------------- Hygiene -----------------
14 Aquamira 1
15 tp 1
0 lbs + 2 ozs
----------------- None -----------------
16 sitting pad, pack support 1.4
0 lbs + 1.4 ozs
----------------- Personal -----------------
17 buck knife 0.9
18 paper maps 1.0
0 lbs + 1.9 ozs
Grand Total 4 lbs + 1.8 ozs

something I didnt count was a plastic grocery bag for carrying food. but hey, thats like a gram or something. first aid kit contains Ibuprofen, matches, bandaids, 2 safety pins, some spare batteries, dental floss, toothbrush, some duct tape, a Fox whistle and a couple of chlorine tablets. In a spinnaker stuff sack. Sometimes the need for a tarp over the hammock isnt there so that stays at home. That alone knocks off another 9 ounces for the tarp, tensioners, guyline and stakes.

what i do
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/15/2008, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes - Probars are my favourite trail food now. They taste real good and are calorie dense.
I think I am going to go back to Enertia Trail foods --small light packs and calorifically rich.

How do you manage with just 2 liters of water in summer?

PostPosted: 5/15/2008, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:

How do you manage with just 2 liters of water in summer?

I stay the hell away from the Supes! Very Happy

usually where I go b'packing there are plenty of water sources. Since trails are generally routed to/near springs and seeps, its usually no farther than 10 miles at the most between reliable water. Think about the Cabin Loop as an example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: