ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Another Lightweight Nerd's Packweight
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 3/11/2008, 10:54 pm    Post subject: Another Lightweight Nerd's Packweight Reply to topic Reply with quote

Got kinda bored today sitting around my computer, so I though that I'd put up my gear list from this last weekend's trip of Hoolie Bacon-Red Tanks-Randolph Canyon-JF Trail

Shelter:
Spinnaker Tarp (Homemade) - 5.8 oz
Vargo Ti stakes (8 ) - 2.6 oz
AirCore Nano Guyline (50ft, 200lb strength) -0.8 oz
Tyvek groundsheet - 4 oz
Therm-a-rest Ridgerest Small - 9 oz
Western Mountaineering Highlite - 16 oz
Therm-a-rest Pillow - 7.5 oz

Kitchen:
Mo-Go-Gear Firefly (stove, potstand, windscreen and reflector set) - 1.5 oz
Backpacking Light SUL 550 pot - 1.89 oz
MSR Titan Spoon - 0.52 oz
Nalgene 4oz bottle with fuel - 2.9 oz

Clothing:
Patagonia longsleeve Midweight - 7.9 oz
REI fleece jacket - 10.3 oz
Fleece hat - 1.7 oz
GoLite Ether - 3.5 oz

Misc. Gear:
ULA Amp - 10.6 oz
MSR Dromlite 4-Liter - 3.2 oz
Powerade Bottles (2) 4.1 oz
-Black Diamond Ion
-Aqua Mira in BPL droppers
-Gerber Knife
-Mini Bic
-Whistle
-First Aid
-Duct tape
-TP
-Bandana
^All in a mesh stuff sack - 12.3 oz
Photon Freedom Micro LED - .2 oz (on outside of pack)

Total Gear Weight: 6.64 lbs before food and water

Clothing Worn:
REI MTS Shirt - 5 oz
Inov-8 Roclite 315 - 12 oz
Mountain Hardwear Canyon Pants - 10 oz
REI summit poles - 20 oz

Notes on gear:
Having the fleece was overkill, I would have been fine with out it. ULA pack was good but the hipbelt straps rubbed me a little awkwardly so I just left it off and was fine without it. Tarp wasn't even set up either, don't even know why I brought it but hey, for less then 6 oz I can't complain. The Enertia Trailfoods Glacier Garlic Noodles I had for dinner was delicious, and came in weighing less then 4 oz. Check them out at www.EnertiaTrailfoods.com

All comments are welcome

Kerouac
Tommy

PostPosted: 3/12/2008, 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That looks like an efficient load.

..incidentally, this last saturday was the first time I used the 7 oz. tarp I bought from you guys. It was a little awkward setting it up the first time - and I needed help Rolling Eyes - but all in all, I was impressed. will definitely keep using it.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/12/2008, 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

that tarp might just be the ticket for the PCT this year. I have 3 people currently on the PCT using the Sole Fly or a version of it. That's a good feeling. It would be truly cool if you ran into someone with the same tarp. I must tell you that to make the tarp a more effective shelter you should get the Nano (air core) guyline kit from BPL. I cant effectively add this item to my tarp sales otherwise I would.

andrew, you need to try the arm floatie pillow. 1.5 oz. also aquamira bottles are 1.6 oz each and still include the large mouth opening. It looks like that gear list would have fit into a smaller pack as well. Ever considered the GoLite ION?

what i do
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 3/12/2008, 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've looked at new packs the last couple days (Gossamer Gear Whisper Uberlite, Mountain Laurel Designs and a few others) But I haven't find the right combo of size/weight/price. We'll see what pops up

Kerouac
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 3/12/2008, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MikeInFHAZ wrote:

andrew, you need to try the arm floatie pillow.

For Sure! I have not used my thermarest pillow since I went the way of the floatie. I usually wrap my fleece around it and it is super comfortable. It can get a little warm during the summer months though. Not really a problem for me anymore. Razz

-Hunter S. Thompson
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/14/2008, 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What was the total weight, with and without your food and water?

Any women around here trying out this super-ultra-light stuff? Mostly it's guys I see discussing this, which seems a bit odd, since women, being smaller and often not as strong as men, would seem to benefit the most from this system.

I am not convinced I would like using any of those ultralight packs with no frames. I think the hipbelt would sag down onto my butt. And there is no way I can wear a pack without a hipbelt. I even wear hipbelts on my daypacks and bicycle packs. I've even been known to customize daypacks by sewing hipbelts onto them!

Any women out there using ULA, Go-lite or REI super-ultra-light multi-day packs, (or other brands), I'd like to hear from you, especially if you are between 5' and 5'3" tall.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 3/14/2008, 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Total weight before food and water was 6.64 lbs. Days worth of food (all energy bars with some jerky and a snickers, along with a hot meal at night) would be around 2 1/2 lbs. Average water carried was 2 quarts so a grand total of around 13-14 lbs. As for looking for gear reviews and ultralight talk amongst women, I'd say BackpackingLight.com have a very very large base of female hikers. You don't have to be a member there just to participate in the forums and view the reader gear reviews.

Kerouac
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/14/2008, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hrrmmmm, I think I may be getting the hang of this. I switched to a new GG pack, some other GG stuff, and am waiting for a 1lb GG solo shelter to come in the mail. I timmed down a lot of other stuff, and my full trail weight for this weekend is teetering around 20lbs. I'll see how the performance goes.

Gotta figure out what to do with all my old heavy stuff now. I hate eBay.

Shades
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 3/15/2008, 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Treks wrote:
I switched to a new GG pack, some other GG stuff, and am waiting for a 1lb GG solo shelter to come in the mail.

Nice... I'm jealous, Gossamer makes good gear

Kerouac
oliverr99

PostPosted: 3/16/2008, 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

From Azbackpackr: Any women around here trying out this super-ultra-light stuff? Mostly it's guys I see discussing this, which seems a bit odd, since women, being smaller and often not as strong as men, would seem to benefit the most from this system.

I am trying but not to the super-ultra-light. I am still learning and finding out what works for me. I don't do much of backpacking, due to no one to go with and time, but I do want to get my weight down so I don't have to carry much, I already do on my body! Trying to lose it though. I am 5'7" a little taller than you.
beckett

PostPosted: 3/16/2008, 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm with oliver99. I'm 5'8" but am still a weak hiker and would love to get the super-ultra-light gear. When I'm shopping for gear, I find the lower the weight-the higher the price. Being a one income family, that usually has me buying heavier stuff for a lower cost.
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/17/2008, 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fairweather8588 wrote:
Tom Treks wrote:
I switched to a new GG pack, some other GG stuff, and am waiting for a 1lb GG solo shelter to come in the mail.

Nice... I'm jealous, Gossamer makes good gear

Ya, no kidding. Took advantage of that "sale" they were having that Mike posted a few weeks ago. Tax returns came in handy.

I was impressed with the Mariposa Plus pack. Felt real good, ~4000 ci capacity too. Hard to believe that a pack that weight can carry a load that size. Actually, I just barely filled it up to the minimum for the trip last weekend. It carried real nice.

That spinnaker cloth is pretty amazing stuff. I saw that new tent they have, and after watching Glen's video, I was sold. Pretty awesome for a fully enclosed, side entry tent. Just a hair over a pound... holy crap. I was looking at UL bivy bags prior. The thing weighs less than the Light Sabre I have now.

Pricey stuff, but it sure makes a difference.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/17/2008, 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

good job, Tom. Applause

as for women ultralight gear, there are many frameless packs that fit very good and the reason is... there's no frame. That is why Tom confessed the pack fit so nicely... that is just an effect of the pack's ability to fit several back shapes without being rigid. The women ultralighters that I know are carrying Granite Gear Vapor Ki, Gossamer Miniposa, ULA Amp, and one gal is thrilled with her Golite Jam2. One thing I noticed is if you buy the Mariposa, you get the back support/sit pad FREE. That's new. Used to be $10 extra.

what i do
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/17/2008, 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MikeInFHAZ wrote:
good job, Tom. Applause

Appreciate the tip on that MP pack. I've been "shopping around" for something like that for a while now. Been slowly whittling down my trail weight and got it down to around 30lbs, but the extra 10lbs here and there less really made a difference. Doubt I'll ever make it to the "uberlight" level, but it sure is a lot better on the old bod.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/17/2008, 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MikeInFHAZ wrote:
as for women ultralight gear, there are many frameless packs that fit very good and the reason is... there's no frame.

Partially true. The Mariposa line (and I think the Miniposa) does have a "frame", but it's very light carbon fiber pole. I doubt I could do a fully frameless pack unless I was like you guys at 15lbs or less trail weight.

I heard that GG is going to modify the stays and incorporate aluminum rod so you have the abilty to mold the stay to your back fit. That would probably be the one thing I'd change with that pack. Still was pretty comfy though, and yes, the sit pad cushion made a lot of difference with the feel. Nice design. The shoulder straps are a tad too wide for me, but can be repositioned for a better feel. Still needs a little "break-in".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: