ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Trying to find historical airplane crash site.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
juswalkin

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 8:54 am    Post subject: Trying to find historical airplane crash site. Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi to all,
I'm trying to find the crash site that my grandparents were killed at in 1954 near the El Oso mine in the Four Peaks area. I've had help from Craig Fuller, in that he went to the State Library and got copies of the newspapers that ran stories of the crash. The stories have information in them that the plane left Roll Az. at 5:30am, radioed Phoenix at 6:30 as they flew over and was advised that weather was bad for flying east. The plane was due in Albqueque NM. at 8:00am and by 10:00am the Civil Aeronautics Administration sent out search plans. The Phoeix Civil Air Patrol was involved in the search and used Sun Valley Air Service ar Sky Harbor as search headquarters. The first to spot the wreackage was a Captain Victor J. Ruffer from March Air Force Base in Riverside Ca, Air Rescue Squadron at 6:35pm. A small plane from Spain Flying Service, Yuma flown by Don Calyen following the air force plane and stayed in the area and help guide two miners, Joe Barry and Caarence Brunson, from the El Oso mine to the crash site. Sheriff Jack Jones from Globe Az. drove by car with the rescue team to the El Oso mine, transfered to a Power Wagon for two miles over rough trail till the underbrush got to thick and continued by foot to the crash site arriving at 9:00pm. Working thru the night with flash lights and lanterns the rescue team cut the tail off and pulled the side of the plane off to recover the bodies. Sheriff Jones said that the plane missed clearing the ridge by 50 feet, coming straight down hitting a 30 foot diameter boulder.
I went to the El Oso mine in October and hiked around for three days, but didn't anything. Has anyone heard stories or found any thing like this? The plane was a nearly new Cessna 170 single engine, four place,
Red and Silver. It was owned and flown by my Great uncle Harold J. Hoodhouse his wife Etheland. My Grandparents Clarence V. and Bessie Curtis.
Thanks for any help. Don Reed
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I can't help you out with this, but I'm sure someone here would know.
I can see how this would mean alot to you to find that.
Best of luck, let us know when you do.

Sherileeaz
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Welcome Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw your post on HAZ and noticed that someone there had referred you to Trey at www.aircraftarchaeology.com (at this moment it's down). I know Trey's girlfriend and from what she's told me and from what he's posted on his site, he might be the person to contact, or he may know someone to contact as well. Another person that you may contact is Fritzski. Look him up in our memberlist and email him, tell him GTG recommended you ask him. He's an avid hiker and a pilot as well, so he may know a bit.
I wish you luck in your search and if I think of anything else, I'll post it.

GTG
ck1

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Excellent suggestion Todd.

"The Journey is the Destination"
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 11/13/2003, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to find historical airplane crash site. Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm a former pilot and a life-long fan of the 170-170A-170B series. Give me a Pmail and let's see what I, and some our hiking companions may be able to suggest. Maybe we can localize the exact area, and find the site.
Jim.

juswalkin wrote:
Hi to all,
I'm trying to find the crash site that my grandparents were killed at in 1954 near the El Oso mine in the Four Peaks area. I've had help from Craig Fuller, in that he went to the State Library and got copies of the newspapers that ran stories of the crash. The stories have information in them that the plane left Roll Az. at 5:30am, radioed Phoenix at 6:30 as they flew over and was advised that weather was bad for flying east. The plane was due in Albqueque NM. at 8:00am and by 10:00am the Civil Aeronautics Administration sent out search plans. The Phoeix Civil Air Patrol was involved in the search and used Sun Valley Air Service ar Sky Harbor as search headquarters. The first to spot the wreackage was a Captain Victor J. Ruffer from March Air Force Base in Riverside Ca, Air Rescue Squadron at 6:35pm. A small plane from Spain Flying Service, Yuma flown by Don Calyen following the air force plane and stayed in the area and help guide two miners, Joe Barry and Caarence Brunson, from the El Oso mine to the crash site. Sheriff Jack Jones from Globe Az. drove by car with the rescue team to the El Oso mine, transfered to a Power Wagon for two miles over rough trail till the underbrush got to thick and continued by foot to the crash site arriving at 9:00pm. Working thru the night with flash lights and lanterns the rescue team cut the tail off and pulled the side of the plane off to recover the bodies. Sheriff Jones said that the plane missed clearing the ridge by 50 feet, coming straight down hitting a 30 foot diameter boulder.
I went to the El Oso mine in October and hiked around for three days, but didn't anything. Has anyone heard stories or found any thing like this? The plane was a nearly new Cessna 170 single engine, four place,
Red and Silver. It was owned and flown by my Great uncle Harold J. Hoodhouse his wife Etheland. My Grandparents Clarence V. and Bessie Curtis.
Thanks for any help. Don Reed
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 11/21/2003, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any update on this???

Sherileeaz Hiking
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 11/21/2003, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm taking lessons for my private pilots liscense and every time I go up we fly over four-peaks and take a look for any shiny objects down below. So far no luck, its not a concentrated search effort, but I'll keep trying.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 11/22/2003, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Update. Reply to topic Reply with quote

sherileeaz wrote:
Any update on this???

Sherileeaz :hiking:

Heard from Don. Did some initial research. The Jeep-4-wheeler trail(s) GPS coordinates must be posted somewhere. These would help to localize the area(s) and plan systematically. The effort is still ongoing, but, lately, I've actually been trying to pay attention to my job (while still hiking at every opportunity :)) ).

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
juswalkin

PostPosted: 12/4/2003, 1:14 pm    Post subject: update Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi to all, Hope your Thanks Giving was good.
Over the Thanks Giving holiday I received a Email that gave me the location of the crash site. They said in the Email that they had found it while hiking in the area of my search many years ago. When they first found the wreackage and climbed up to it they were afraid to go to it, not knowing how old or new the crash site was, because it looked totaly undisturbed. They took the serial number from the plane and contacted the FAA and were told that the plane was reported missing and went down in a storm in 1954. They said that the planes discription and location match the story that I have. If this site has been undisturbed for 50 years I wish it to remain so and don't want to give the location. I hope that everyone will understand my reasons why.
I would like to Thank everyone for their help with this search. I can't believe that I am this close to the end of this search in such a short time, and Thank You doesn't seem to say enough.
Bye for now and Best Wishes Juswalkin
plummer150

PostPosted: 12/5/2003, 2:06 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry to hear. Good luck finding it.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 12/5/2003, 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

let us know if you find it and how it looked being down for 50 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: