ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ragnar Relay 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdahling

PostPosted: 3/2/2008, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Ragnar Relay 2008 Reply to topic Reply with quote

This weekend was the Ragnar Relay Del Sol - right here in our beautiful state. It was the second year running - and the number of teams more than doubled.

There were 152 teams competing in the 182 mile relay. It was a running start - beginning Friday morning around 8am, with the final teams starting around 6pm. The faster the team, the later the start - with the hopes of getting everyone to the finish line somewhat close together.

Each team consists of 12 runners - each one running 3 times throughout the race. I was runner number 5, so I had segment 5, 17, and 29. Basically, I was running late afternoon on Friday, early (like 3am) morning Saturday and late morning on Saturday.

This year, we had 24 runners (2 team). Team 1 was: "What happens at Ragnar ..." and Team 2 was: "... Stays at Ragnar". We finished together in 30 hours.

My van (consisting of the first 6 runners) was a mix of new people and a few old teammates from last year. Again - we all mixed well and really formed a good bond. It is definitely something that I will do again and again... and everyone seemed to feel that way.

What makes this interesting (at least in my opinion) is that you are challenging yourself in several ways. Running on very little sleep (1 or 2), through the night, during the heat of the day - and yet you figure out how to do it and be a part of the team.

I am lucky - I love my teammates. They are supportive, my friends, encouraging, it's a wonderful feeling to round the bend in a road and find 11 people there just for you (your teammates) with the goal of showing support, cheering you on and giving you high fives (and the occasional water) ...

anyhow, it's a great way to spend the weekend. I'm already planning for another one in 2009.

Cheers!

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jdahling

PostPosted: 3/2/2008, 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In case you are interested ...

http://www.ragnarrelay.com/delsol/index.php

That's the home page for this years event!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/2/2008, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yay Jeannine!!! Sounds like a great weekend! Glad ya had a good time and got a good feeling out of it! That is oh so important when challenging your self! WTG Girl! Applause

I want to shine!
oliverr99

PostPosted: 3/2/2008, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow!! I did get a brochure on it. I might be interested in it for next year, if I can get to running. Sounds like you had a great time. Congrats, what an accomplishment!! fly a kite
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/2/2008, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thats pretty cool, congrats!
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/2/2008, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

J9, that's really cool! Congrats! You'll have to tell me about it this week. Applause
jdahling

PostPosted: 3/3/2008, 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oliverr99 wrote:
Wow!! I did get a brochure on it. I might be interested in it for next year, if I can get to running. Sounds like you had a great time. Congrats, what an accomplishment!! fly a kite

I would highly recommend this race ... If we are looking for more runners next year - I'll reach out to this group. Otherwise, you can always find a team on the ragnar site as well...

Happy Running!

Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/3/2008, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jeannine, glad you had a good race.

All in all I survived my adventure quite well, it turned out to be a great mental challenge. Miles 33-40 were the toughest, 46-50 was divine. Crazy
jdahling

PostPosted: 3/3/2008, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
Jeannine, glad you had a good race.

All in all I survived my adventure quite well, it turned out to be a great mental challenge. Miles 33-40 were the toughest, 46-50 was divine. Crazy

Divine? As in you were fully delirious by that point? Congrats on surviving your race - I cannot imagine 50 miles at one go. That's just a special sort of crazy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: