ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Wheels are turning again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAB

PostPosted: 1/22/2008, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Wheels are turning again Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, it's not backpacking - but I got out and it felt great!

After a couple years of diapers - most my gear has been on the back burner. The good news, I got a new (used) Haro X1 mountain bike for xmas. I cleaned it up and made some minor repairs to get it rolling smoothly.

I was able to pickup the kids from daycare yesterday with the baby buggy and wow - that extra 75#'s can really give you a workout - even on flat pavement.

So, I have made a commitment to ride at least 5 times a week to drop some pounds, get my cardio going and strengthen my legs for the Canyon in April.

No replies necessary - most of this is just self help stuff anyways! Waaaa Whooo - it's good to get back outdoors!

- To those who do... and to those that don't. Cheers!
DAB

PostPosted: 1/24/2008, 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm sticking to my guns and got another evening ride in last night. I would guess it was only about 6 miles - with a nice steady even grade for the first 1.5-2 miles.

My bike gear is a few years old and my battery for my Night Rider light gave out about a mile into the ride. Not a big deal, as most of the ride is urban and plenty of street lights - but I do like it for people to see me.

Woke this morning pretty stiff after 3 days in a row of riding - felt good. Should be excellent training for my upcoming hikes - and I can do it in about 45 mins when the kids are in bed!

Nice - feeling alive again.

Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/24/2008, 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

After several years of not riding I started riding again. I now have 9 bikes, vintage Schwinns, Trek rode bikes, Giant road bike and a Giant Mtn. bike.
Getting ready to leave for an afternoon ride on one of my road bikes.
misha

PostPosted: 1/24/2008, 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been biking to work once a week to lose some weight and get into better shape. Road bike only, and taking the multi-use path along the Arizona Canal and Skunk Creek. Amazing how 8.5 miles each way can REALLY wipe me out!
DAB

PostPosted: 1/26/2008, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I used to live off that trail and could ride from Arrowhead mall to Scottsdale if I wanted. It was really easy to put on 20 miles if you wanted and never worry about a car.

I have been doing about 5-6 miles. But a couple times with the kids in tow and that makes for a heavy load.

I missed thurs for rain, frid - for happy hour and well... today for sat with kids. Sun is forecasting rain - so - I'm already running behind. It will be 5 days next week for sure!

Anyone else use biking for training / conditioning???

threedogz

PostPosted: 1/26/2008, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been riding a bike as well. Biking is more difficult compared to hiking. The attention and concentration needs to be there and it is a three times a better workout than hiking, even with minimal elevation change.

I do find it a little frustrating when I can't daydream on a bike like I can on a hike.

Biking and hiking have something in common though, they can be both pretty expensive habits.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/26/2008, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DAB wrote:

Anyone else use biking for training / conditioning???

Checked out my avatar lately? Very Happy

I need to get an indoor trainer, though, unless I can become a snowbird. I looked at one yesterday at Cycle Mania in Show Low. They are a bit spendy, though.

I used to ride all over town all winter, even at 5 or 10 degrees--I would wear a face mask, lots of layers, windproof shell, etc. Brr! It no longer appeals to me.

I ride all summer, love mtn. biking, but am not very good at it. Rode in Tour of the White Mtns. this past Oct., a big mtn. bike race in Show Low. Did okay on the 37-mile "short" ride. At least I finished! I used to guide for the now-defunct Valle Redondo Fat Tire Fiesta, which was about the most fun thing we ever had going on here in Eagar. Alas, it no longer is a happening. We took people from Phoenix on our local trails in the Springerville Ranger District.

I looked at road bikes over there at the bike shop, too. I do really want to get one. It would give me more diversity in the kinds of things I could do on a bike. $1500 Trek looked pretty nice. My main mtn. bike is a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2005, Women's model.
IGO

PostPosted: 1/26/2008, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

threedogz wrote:
I have been riding a bike as well. Biking is more difficult compared to hiking. The attention and concentration needs to be there and it is a three times a better workout than hiking, even with minimal elevation change.

I do find it a little frustrating when I can't daydream on a bike like I can on a hike.

Biking and hiking have something in common though, they can be both pretty expensive habits.

Gotta get you in a backpack one of these days.
threedogz

PostPosted: 1/26/2008, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:

Gotta get you in a backpack one of these days.

One of these days have already happened IGO, and I still think biking is more strenuous. Perhaps hiking just comes easy to me. I think backpacking is easy as well even with the extra load on the back. At least I can take my hands out of my pocket and eat candy while I hike Laughing
Suz

PostPosted: 1/26/2008, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

threedogz wrote:
At least I can take my hands out of my pocket and eat candy while I hike Laughing

Alright---let's talk about candy! Exactly what sort of candy do you eat while hiking or backpacking?

I love a Payday candy bar on a long hike or an overnighter. I like all the creamy lifesavers,....but oddly enough I have no desire for chocolate while hiking. I have been a bit curious about how those lollipops with the worms in them would be dunked in gatorade.

The candy I keep at home for emergency situations is totally different.
threedogz

PostPosted: 1/26/2008, 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Seeing I hike a lot in the warm weather, I don't bring chocolate often. It melts.

I prefer bringing Gummi Bears, Dots, Mike and Ike's and Smarties for hiking. I also love the orange slices with the sugar coating (from Sprouts), at least I don't have to throw away the orange peels!

The best candy isles in town are Target and Sprouts. Target has all my favorites in the "king size" boxes. Sprouts candy is in bulk and their gummi bears and orange slices are awesome. Their green apple licorice is a must as well. Sprouts has a trail mix that has chocolate covered graham cereal, dried marshmallows, almonds and pretzels that is called something like campfire trail mix... this is my daughters favorite and is a healthier alternative than all of the above.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/27/2008, 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I eat while I ride, too, if I'm on a smooth stretch. Not on rocky trails, gotta have both hands on the handlebars for that. I have tried talking on my cell phone while riding a bike. The wind hits the antenna. I have tried yo-yoing, (up and down and around the world) while riding a bike. It works pretty well, but gets old quick.

By the way, the best addition to my snack bag on an epic ride or hike are the Mocha Clif Shots. They will really pick you up right about when you are ready to hit the wall. Caffeine will do that! Plus, they remind me of when I was a kid and used to sneak a taste of the Hershey's Sundae Fudge in a jar in the fridge. I don't eat candy at all, unless it's dark chocolate! Werther's are okay hard candy. But never anything that has the potential to get stuck in my teeth. Eeeyew!
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 1/27/2008, 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My friend Josh brought some Sour Patch Kids on our hike today. I forgot how good those things are! I'm not a fan of candy, unless it's chocolate, more specifically, dark chocolate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: