ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bug Bivy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 11:12 am    Post subject: Bug Bivy This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

I like the concept, but am a little skeptical about the 'flexible fiberglass frame'.
Lizard

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 11:46 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I own one. I got the idea from Troubadour, a long-distance hiker buddy of mine. His review is here:

http://pcthiker.com/pages/gear/geartroub.shtml

It is IMO a great solution for bug protection under a tarp. The "flexible fiberglass frame" is similar to those pop up car window sun shields. I've had mine four years and it has held up well. I still carry it + a tarp when I don't want to bother with the weight of my tarptent.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 11:48 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Somewhat heavier (but after factoring in a ground sheet, maybe not SO much heavier) and a bit more costly, but I may be tempted to at least LOOK at this > http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/outdoor-research-bug-bivy.html. O.R. makes some pretty nice stuff!

kurt

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 1:02 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Kurt the one you posted looks like it would work well for one who tosses and turns... better anyway than the one Tommy posted..... Lizard, any comments, since you own the first one

I want to shine!
Tommy

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 6:48 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions you guys.. it's helpful.

I also found this one on BPL.

decisions, decisions ...
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/25/2008, 11:43 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Tommy, that adventure 16 bivy is fairly popular right? Ive heard good things about it. The rod inside is like a windsheild screen. It'll flex a million times without incident. At least with that, you wont have to sew loops under your tarp. I dont like anything hanging from the canopy that would make it sag more than usual. I remember REI had a little 1 lb mesh bivy but I couldnt find it online.

what i do
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/26/2008, 6:05 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

What bugs? Wink
Tommy

PostPosted: 1/26/2008, 6:16 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Yeah Mike, the more I look at people's gear lists, I see that the A16 is being used and liked.. so I'm probably going to buy it and go from there.

On the AT I never saw it (or noticed it). Probably because I only ran into a few true tarp campers (most had tarptents or regular tents or slept in shelters). One guy with a tarp just doused his bandana in deet and clipped it to head of the tarp. I was skeptical, but he said it kept the bugs away fine.

And yes, Elizabeth, although I'm still working on my bug tolerance, I'm not so concerned about the bugs in Arizona (if that's what you are referring to Wink ) as I am with the ones out of state.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/26/2008, 7:05 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Yes, Tommy, I know there are bugs the size of 747's on the AT, but here in AZ I have slept out more nights without a tent than I have WITH a tent. During mosquito season a little DEET works fine, usually.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 1/27/2008, 6:12 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Elizabeth, you need to go to West Clear Creek around Memorial Day for a truly enchanting bug encounter! (We'll now hear from Hooli for confirmation!!!!)
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/27/2008, 12:09 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Hooli the Bug Magnet? Something along those lines?

Mr. Green
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 1/27/2008, 10:20 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Oh Elizabeth... you don't know the half of it. As Ken said a truly "Enchanting Bug Encounter" for sure... Right Hooli?

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/28/2008, 5:36 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Hooli's ignoring us.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 1/28/2008, 7:07 am    Post subject: bug bivy This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Tommy I use the OR. Used it on the 9 day backpack into Thunder River, Tapeats and Deer Creeks last May. It worked wonderfully. Lots of bugs and critteres in the Canyon.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/28/2008, 8:39 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

thesuperstitions wrote:
Elizabeth, you need to go to West Clear Creek around Memorial Day for a truly enchanting bug encounter! (We'll now hear from Hooli for confirmation!!!!)

porridge little black flies chomped on me pretty good. richie rich too. Sad
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: