ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ski Trip to Sunrise?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 12/29/2007, 8:03 am    Post subject: Ski Trip to Sunrise? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Skier Girl Anyone up for a one day ski trip to Sunrise? Skier Girl
Just not sure who our downhill skiers are?????

Thinking about leaving early tomorrow morning (12/30), skiing all day and then driving back home.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/29/2007, 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Isn't that about a 5-6 hour drive each way?
Suz

PostPosted: 12/30/2007, 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually only 200 miles from where I live.

Stuck home on antibiotics. Crying or Very sad
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/30/2007, 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bummer, I'm heading out to do Pine Mountain at Dugas.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 12/30/2007, 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bummer guys! I just got home from Sunrise. I snowboarded yesterday and today. Conditions are awesome! Packed powder and some deep (sorta) powder on a couple of runs on Apache and Cyclone Mountains. I took Liz on mostly blue runs and taught her to turn on the steep stuff! She did great. We're a little worse for wear though...mostly from crashing while trying to avoid out-of-control skiers (I'm not picking on skiers, it just so happened that all of our mishaps except one involved beginner skiers). Unfortunately, Liz got plowed by an out-of-control punk snowboarder. She got really banged up and is pretty sore today (head and neck..ouch!) That guy is lucky I didn't see it happen or else he'd be pretty sore today too.
All that aside, we had a great time! The air on the mountains was COLD and that kept the snow from melting and then icing over later in the day. I'd say get up there while you can!

P.S. Pinetop to my house in Mesa - Less than 3 hours using 260 and 87. I was hardly speeding.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/31/2007, 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, guys, I have been up there, too, but not quite all the way to Sunrise. I've been going cross country skiing almost every day. Got to get it while you can in AZ! I could see Sunrise slopes yesterday (Sunday) while I had this place to myself. Where I went was right across from that sledding hill, which is just to the east of the Apache Reservation Boundary on SR 260. (Both the sledding hill and where I skied are in the NF.) I parked at the sledding hill and walked across the highway. I skied north, basically toward Green's Peak. Since the snow is pretty deep and drifted I found as I have before that following snowmobile tracks is a good way to go. I skied uphill for about an hour, which took me about half an hour to ski down. Not very steep, but then, I'm not a very good skier. I got a good workout, and a little downhill and turns practice, and had the place entirely to myself. The snowmobilers thankfully were elsewhere. I love their tracks, but I don't love them!

I am not sure where I'm going to go today, but I'm going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: