ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Help me lighten my load!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 11/29/2007, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Help me lighten my load! Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've never weighed my packs really, I always just bring what I need. I just weighed my pack and it comes in at 12.4 lbs, excluding water and food. This also includes two t-shirts and a thick hoodie that I normally wouldn't bring. (Xmas presents for my brother, who works at Phantom Ranch). I have no idea how much this stuff weighs individually.

The containers:
Pack- Lowe Alpine Ophir 5
Thermarest stuff sack
http://www.rei.com/product/719814
Camelback MULE- a bit heavy i know! I do long dayhikes from Phantom plus my pack doesn't have a bladder compartment. Drives me nuts but it was given to me by a friend so I can't complain!
http://www.rei.com/product/733668

Winter Clothing:
Adidas trail runners
Garmont boots (worn)
2 pair socks (1 worn)
Columbia quick dry shorts
Northface Vaporwick l/s tee
Duofold quick dry tee
American Apparel s/s tee
4 pairs undies (clean drawers are a must for me)
bandanna
Northface flight series jacket (worn)
Columbia shell (worn)
long underwear (worn)
gloves (worn)

Toiletries:
travel toothbrush
small hairbrush
sunscreen
travel shampoo & toothpaste

Food:
3 liters water
snickers bar or luna bar
baked tofu, 1/2 pack
sandwich or bagel
1 bottle vodka- a present for the ranchers and completely necessary
flask

Misc.:
Canon A430 camera
headlamp
vitamins, in ziploc bag

I know I over pack on clothing and the vodka weighs a ton. I know if I put it in a platypus this would help immensely with weight. I'm also considering getting the REI Flash UL pack so I won't have to carry a stuff sack & a day pack, which is kind of ridiculous to bring both for such a short hike.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/29/2007, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I'm far from an expert but I'd say you've got a bulky load of clothing. I'd snatch up an REI Flash pack to replace your MULE. I'd put that vodka in a seal-a-meal pouch and make a pretty little label for it. It all goes down the same.
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 11/29/2007, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The clothing alone weighs 4 pounds, including the stuff sack. Granted I'm not carrying cookware, tent etc... Crazy
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/29/2007, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trail runners & Boots?
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 11/29/2007, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They're more like sneakers.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/29/2007, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, that's a bunch of clothes. It was hard for me to cut back on those as well. Pack yourself a bag for the car with clean clothes in it and try to find the joy in dirty stinky clothes. Laughing Shocked Wink Rolling Eyes
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 11/29/2007, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The moronic thing is I rarely wear everything I bring anyway. Rolling Eyes I could stand to unpack two tees at the least.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 11/29/2007, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd say ditch the extra shoes, one of the shirts, the shampoo and (gasp...) some of the undies

Kerouac
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 11/29/2007, 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yea I guess I could *gasp* try handwashing and the shampoo is entirely a luxury item.
Tommy

PostPosted: 11/29/2007, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with all the above tips. And there are always ways to reduce the weight. but really, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like you said, without carrying tent, cookware and such, you'll be carrying around what - 20 lbs total (with food and water)? I would love to have a pack that light.

Live it up..maybe trade the extra undies, shampoo, and hairbrush for another bottle of vodka. Very Happy
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 11/29/2007, 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tommy wrote:
Live it up..maybe trade the extra undies, shampoo, and hairbrush for another bottle of vodka. Very Happy

If your going to carry weight it might as well be booze!

Razz

-Hunter S. Thompson
IGO

PostPosted: 11/29/2007, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tommy wrote:
I agree with all the above tips. And there are always ways to reduce the weight. but really, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like you said, without carrying tent, cookware and such, you'll be carrying around what - 20 lbs total (with food and water)? I would love to have a pack that light.

Enough Vodka ya don't need any of the other crap. Razz
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 11/29/2007, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Tommy! I thought I was a heavyweight! Fortunately I won't be hiking out the gifts and booze out. Laughing That always helps on the ascent.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/29/2007, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fairweather8588 wrote:
I'd say ditch the extra shoes, one of the shirts, the shampoo and (gasp...) some of the undies

once my father told me how to make one pair of undies work for 4 days....can't say that I've tried it but for sure I can't post that here but I sure could PM it to ya.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/8/2008, 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have to bring camp shoes, although your Adidas trail runners seem like overkill. I have the cheapest, lightest kind of Tevas--the more expensive ones are heavier. I tie them on my pack and as soon as we hit camp off come the boots and on go the Tevas. I'd be lost without my Tevas! One time I left them behind to save weight, and boy was I sorry! On colder hikes I used to sometimes bring an old pair of Minnetonka moccasins with soles for camp shoes. Warmer than Tevas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: