ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Downstream on the Colorado

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 11/14/2007, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Downstream on the Colorado Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's a short canoe-trek commentary that is downstream from the Green (below the 23 rapids of Cataract Canyon that JW Powell and crew first did).
I had a great group canoe trek through Topock Gorge (near lake Havasue) this last weekend! The leader was an amazing 77 year-young lady who was my canoe partner. On the last day the wind was blowing hard enough to make waves with whitecaps! We did the last 12 miles, an hour ahead of schedule with the tail-wind!

When we got to the point where we were to turn right into a blind side channel that leads to the marina, she got out to flag the other canoes so they didn't miss the turn and get blown downstream. Well, I then solo-paddled the canoe cross-wind into the channel. Once into the channel I had to turn right into the headwind, so as I was finishing a paddle stroke on the left side, a wave crested under the canoe. The canoe, a little off-center to the left, allowed the wind to get under and with no one else or ballast, it flipped!

I had a life vest on, but it was unbuckled Sad so as my clothes were taking me to the bottom, my life vest was heading to the surface! Somehow, I made a grab and got a hand on it and pulled myself to the surface. Then I clung to it and kept my head above water.

Since it was a blind channel there was no current to carry me out into the Colorado, but the wind had pushed the canoe into some shallow reeds where it hung-up. Slowly, with my clothes soaked and Tevas on, I was able to swim to the canoe. In the shallows, I managed to board that puppy, but it was impossible for one person to paddle it upwind. Finally, I was able to get it across the channel, back to the point where part of the group was getting ready to do a car-shuttle over to the marina.

The group leader almost had a heart attack when she saw me walking up (laughing my what-off!) with blood running down my head! Evidently the canoe or something had smacked me and I hadn't even noticed it (just a scratch)! It might have turned out differently if there had been a current out of that channel into the Colorado, but what the hay, you take your chances... Smile. It doesn't get much more fun! JW.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a nice time even if you got dunked. Glad you are OK! Buckle up there guy... don't need to lose ya. Sounds like it was a good trip for you and you enjoyed it. That is all that matters !! and that you are safe of course.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: