ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Elevation and weather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 11/14/2007, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Elevation and weather Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm trying to find the elevation for a particular location. Is there a site that I can go to for research purposes?

Actually what I'm trying to do is figure out the high/low temp info for a location that isn't reported. Thinking if I can get the elevation for the area I can compare it or a similar reported area. Is that sound reasoning?
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 11/14/2007, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you know the lat long for the site, you can get a NOAA digital forecast that should get you within 2 to 5 km of your site.
For Northern AZ check out
http://ifps.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/dwf?siteID=FGZ

Then I usually look at 5degrees for 1000 feet above or below that site.

What site are you talking about?

You can also check out USGS Waypoints & places.
http://geonames.usgs.gov/
IGO

PostPosted: 11/14/2007, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevation and weather Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
I'm trying to find the elevation for a particular location. Is there a site that I can go to for research purposes?

Actually what I'm trying to do is figure out the high/low temp info for a location that isn't reported. Thinking if I can get the elevation for the area I can compare it or a similar reported area. Is that sound reasoning?

SUZ, I've been calculating weather by elevation, dominate terrain and relative location on the globe for many years and I'm pretty darned good at it. What place are you looking at?
As a rough, you loose 3 or 4 degrees for every 1000 feet of elevation you gain. The most elementery calculation would be Local forecast of a place closest to desired local with a known elevation then do the math. Of coarse there are many different micro considerations that can alter the results of that formula.
What place are you looking at?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/14/2007, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah I usually use the NOAA website and just click on the area in the box. Gets you close enough, it tells you the elevation for whatever spot you click on.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/14/2007, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Yeah I usually use the NOAA website and just click on the area in the box. Gets you close enough, it tells you the elevation for whatever spot you click on.

Me too, use it all the time.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/14/2007, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wait a minute,

Suz did you just ask us how to find something out about WEATHER and temperatures?

Ummm, don't you remember your second life there missy?
Suz

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, yes..........I guess I did. I can tell you about the weather equipment, which mountain ranges have defective gear at the moment and where the biggest guesses are coming in from.....but I'm just not sure about this.

I'm trying to figure out the temperature at the Little Colorado --(river level) for Thanksgiving weekend. I'd also really like to know more about the water temps there.

One person says the temps match up with Page, another says you can match the temps to those of Tucson.....boy those both seem off to me. Seems like the elevation at Cameron might match the top of the hike...but that's not an issue because I can car camp and gear weight isn't an issue.

When I tried Page for some reason I figured I would add about 12 degrees to the highs/lows because of the elevation difference.

If you all would just do the math for me I could figure out which sleeping bag I need much quicker....and if I can manage the route with the heavier gear. Seems like it might be workable with the warmer temps we have been having.
IGO

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Little Colorado River as it meets the Colorado River: 2715. Temps would read like the temps at Phantom Ranch.

Little C at Salt Canyon: 2922
at Blue Spring: 3200
at Waterhole Canyon: 3325
at Cedar Canyon: 3450
at Lee Canyon: 3675
at the Hopi Trail upper: 4100 feet
The rim in the upper area is 4500 feet and where it reaches the Colorado River is 6000 feet.
Influences in the Canyon will be greatly determined by the river. In the middle of the night if the air is dead still and you camp at river level, the air temps will be the lesser of either the ambient atmospheric temps or whatever the river water temps are. The Colorado averages about 54 degrees. I don't know what the Little C is. If I were you, I'd plan down to 30 degrees at Thanksgiving but 40+ is the more likely.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

NOAA Site with reading at the confluence:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=FGZ&llon=-111.976247&rlon=-109.856247&tlat=37.452084&blat=35.334584&smap=1&mp=0&map.x=19&map.y=149

the reading can be changed by clicking the map and moving the square red dot.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Would the confluence not be more windy than the Colorado ?
Suz

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The area is windy. Can't imagine a place with much more wind than this part of the state..................wind is a sure thing here. The good news is that you can typically hear it whipping up around the corners before it gets to you. So if you're smart and brushing your teeth at the time you would be smart to turn away or perhaps even burry your head Laughing
IGO

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Would the confluence not be more windy than the Colorado ?

This is something else I would try to dig into to try to know what kind of camping I was in for. It is true that that end of the Canyon is more open than the inner confines below the Tonto shelf but sometimes wind is channeled and bottlenecked in the inner gorge so that would be a consideration if winds are expected or wind would be considerered at both locations if one is planning on hiking in month that is traditionally windier than others. I look at all that stuff when predicting weather. It's just part of the fun on planning a trip.
IGO

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool Shawn. I've never used this before. Thus far it fortifies my predictions though. 30 to 40+. Lets see how close that is Thanksgiving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: