ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Parking changes at South Mtn Pima Cyn Trailhead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 11/3/2007, 10:44 am    Post subject: Parking changes at South Mtn Pima Cyn Trailhead Reply to topic Reply with quote

For those of you that do any 'urban' hiking at South Mtn.....they have implemented some parking changes at the Pima Canyon trailhead. It is the entrance just off 48th St. in Ahwautukee. They have restricted the parking to designated spaces on the north side of the entrance road only. Painted lines for parking spaces and everything. Rolling Eyes You can no longer park on the south side of the road as they have posted no parking signs. There is still the small parking lot at the trailhead, but chances of getting a space there are slim to none after daylight. I have used this trail alot over the last 8 years, I do my fitness hiking there on a regular basis and have always enjoyed the quick access and parking. Always a great convenient place to hike if you can't get out of town. I almost always start at dark thirty to beat the crowds. Still amazes me on some of the routes I take that sometimes I never even run into anyone. Coming off the mountain today, the line of cars stretched almost back to the entrance.
So, basically, it means less parking and more of a hassle. Sad
I guess my suggestion would be to start early or plan on adding another mile walk to your hike....(if there is even a place to pull in).
I think they must have just done this recently as I was out there about 2 weeks ago and it hadn't been done yet.

I don't really understand why Question Question but I guess there is a valid reason.
(not sure I want to hear it)

Anyway, I just thought this might be some good info to post.
Happy Trails,
SJ
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/3/2007, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Sandy
threedogz

PostPosted: 11/3/2007, 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. I usually access it from Telegraph Pass side, parking lot is small and 3/4 filled on a weekday in the nice weather. If I were to go on the weekend or evening, there is usually no parking.

I wonder why they restricted parking? Our tax money pays for places like that to be accessible. There is something wrong with that picture.
threedogz

PostPosted: 11/9/2007, 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went for a bike ride there today and they were painting a double yellow line. Some of the white lines they placed for parking were recently tarred over. I'm not sure why.

The new parking rules are definitely going to decrease parking. Thankfully I only do weekdays there.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 11/9/2007, 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmmm, sounds interesting....
Maybe enough folks complained about the parking and they are changing it?? Could we be so lucky...
I will have to get up there and check it out.
Thanks for posting.
threedogz

PostPosted: 11/9/2007, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They still have the "no parking signs" up on the left side when you drive in.

Maybe they did the sizes wrong (it was about 1/2 way down) and have to redo them. Who knows, I wanted to ask one of the workers, but when I was leaving, they were painting the yellow lines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: