ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Congrats to Andy Skurka!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 11:04 am    Post subject: Congrats to Andy Skurka!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quite the achievement!! 6,875 mile continuous backpack starting at the Grand Canyon, looping the western states, and ending back at the Grand Canyon.

Me and Tracy were privileged to be able to participate in Andy's return to Grandview point this past weekend. It was a fun event.

Major kudos go out to his family, sponsors, and followers who supported him along the way. Great bunch of people.

I know that American_idol and Fairweather8588 have followed Andy's trip a lot longer than we have, but after meeting him a few weekends ago, I can say that, I for one, was hooked. Just had to make the trip to the GC to see him finish. He's a really great guy, and loves what he does.

http://www.andrewskurka.com

desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congrats indeed ..had been following him on line off and on. Very awesome accomplishment.

Love to go hear him speak ...
paintninaz

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was fun being there to see him complete this trek, he was beaming! He even remembered us!

We had a chance to chat with his mom and sisters while we waited for him to top out at Grandview (his dad and brother-in-law were busy keeping an eye out along the trail), the entire Skurka family is super friendly, easy to see where Andy gets it.

It was pretty funny to watch the tourists and other hikers coming out while all the champagne was being poured and the pics were being taken...they were all just stunned as they read the banner Shocked "6,875 miles?...On his FEET?" was the common response. Chuckle

Once again, Congrats Andy! Beer

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Tommy

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is just an AWESOME feat!
30+ miles per day on average for 7 months. Some stretches 200-300 miles between resupply. Bushwacking and routefinding through huge lengths of un-maintained or nonexistent trails. Little opportunity for human company.. and on and on.. Truly inspiring!!
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

for me its not really impressive that he did the mileage, but that he's so in tune with his passion for backpacking. Living the dream, man, its got to be good. That, is impressive!

what i do
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

American_Idol wrote:
for me its not really impressive that he did the mileage, but that he's so in tune with his passion for backpacking. Living the dream, man, its got to be good. That, is impressive!

Mileage not impressive? Shudd up. Maybe you didn't mean that.
I'd like to see you bring almost 7,000 fairly uncharted loop miles to fruition in only 7 months. LOL

I agree, he's in tune with it all.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Agreed....amazing indeed! Can't even imagine all the planning that went into it. I bet that took more time than the actual trip itself. Crazy
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

His passion definitly rekindled mine. Still have the goal of a AZT trek after college, hopefully setting a speed record

Kerouac
oliverr99

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, that is really cool you guys were there to see him finish. I am glad to hear he remembered you two! It truly was honorable to meet him.
threedogz

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, that is so awesome. They all look so happy in that image.

He sacrificed a lot to meet his goal, it is a great achievement and he represents and defines the meaning of a "role model". Not too many of them these days.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well of course Tom, I mean he did go really far, but in Andy's own words he did say that his daily life isnt really that exciting, and plenty of other hikers are doing long distance hiking. Skurka didnt seem to think much of his long hike, or at least he was very humble about the whole trip. but Im really impressed that his passion leads to his action. Setting and acheiving a goal is the key, however large or small. We went way beyond the usual chatter about gear and hiking and touched on several key factors that make us who we are, and I think we will remain friends regardless that we both are in the ultralight "community". Idea We're not dealing with a chimp here, fellas.

what i do
IGO

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fairweather8588 wrote:
His passion definitly rekindled mine. Still have the goal of a AZT trek after college, hopefully setting a speed record

Why set a speed record?
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A personal goal to have. To see if I can mentally push myself, to look back and be able to be proud that I've accomplished such a feat, to have a story to tell the grandkids, and many more reasons

Kerouac
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
Why set a speed record?

Different strokes for different folks, man. Sometimes I like to stroll along and see the sights and take pictures and what-not. Sometimes, like today, I like to turn it up a few notches, and blaze the trail.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/6/2007, 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this a lot. It seems that the ultralight revolution in backpacking has been mostly utilized by people who might enjoy going really fast and/or really far. This is okay with me if that is what they want to do. (I think, like IGO, I can relate much better to "really far" but can't relate very well to "really fast.") But a lot of us could definitely use the info these people have developed as far as ultralight gear and techniques! A lot of us have bad knees, we are getting older, our bodies don't respond like they used to, we tire more easily. This super-ultralight gear could totally revolutionize the sport, and people like me could go for two-week or longer backpacking trips with far less pain. So I pay attention to this information, even though I would personally prefer going more slowly and savoring the view, camping a couple nights here, a couple nights there, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: