ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Anal Rant, Poles, and Blogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ftapon

PostPosted: 11/2/2007, 6:38 pm    Post subject: Anal Rant, Poles, and Blogs Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm glad that many of you enjoyed my rant on anal backpacking! Smile

A few of you said, "Yeah, but I'm still keeping my trekking poles."

In case it wasn't clear in it, I'm not advocating that hikers give up their trekking poles. As I'm fond of saying, hike your own hike. Wink

I specifically write that poles have made backpacking accessible to some who couldn't do it without them, and that's a great thing. Whether poles empower hikers through the technology or through the placebo effect is not that important. What's important is that it helps gets some folks into the woods! Smile

I was simply pointing out that poles are a burden, just like any piece of gear. Most hikers don't include it in their pack weight and so they're underestimating how much they are really carrying.

For those who want the lightest poles around, check out the Lightreks from Gossamer Gear. At 2.5 ounces each, it's hard to beat. The 2007 model is lighter and stronger than the previous model (but more expensive).

I'm glad that some have enjoyed following my blogs. I hope to update my web page by Dec 2007. I hope to do a book tour in late 2008 and I hope to hit Arizona (and many other states). See you then!

Happy trails,
Suz

PostPosted: 11/2/2007, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

wave Hi!
Welcome to the site!
ftapon

PostPosted: 11/2/2007, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Oops! Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm such a freshman! I should have posted this under the "CDT Yo Yo" thread, but accidently created a new thread.

Sorry! Embarassed
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/3/2007, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great trip ...hope to catch you in AZ zometime!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: