ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Photographics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digital Sherpa

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Threedogz.

The Gitzo is the only CF tripod I've used or owned, and it was a good purchase for me. I too had sticker shock when I first investigated them so I bought a cheaper, non CF model...and hated it with a deep and undying passion. Same goes for my first ballhead and quick release system. I have a day job and it isn't photography, so cost was a factor to be considered. I ended up swapping out all that gear for the system I have now, which cost quite a bit more, but fits my style of shooting rather than me having to adjust to the equipment. Lesson learned. I would have saved money had I bought the right gear in the first place. That said, the "right gear" for me certainly could be different for others.

Matt - My understanding of CF is that the strength-to-weight ratio is off the charts. Maybe one of the engineers who frequent this site can add specifics. I've never had a situation where the tripod couldn't handle the wind. It has a hook hanging from the bottom of the center column, and at times I've attached my backpack to the hook to help add center line weight and stabilization. I've been out there in the middle of monsoon storms and in Zion I've used it in the middle of the Virgin River with water pounding against it. Still came away with tack sharp images.

Ron
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, just a quick question for you photographers out there. No in-depth reply required. I used to like to shoot and try different things out. I have a really old Cannon Pellix (kept it because it has a refracting lens (no mirror flip, what you see is not being relected off a mirror and bounced back), an old Canon T50 and Tamoran 35-210mm lens that I used on both. But they are film cameras (not that film is bad, you can play some using different films), but can't really see results until printed. Digital lets you try again right away and you may not get the same conditions (light, weather etc) to try again later. And I kinda got spoiled with lite weight point & shoot on hikes (got some nice shots though, not as spectacular as those here).

But noticed that you are using a digital...

I'll have to research and take my lens with me to see, but I am thinking that the new digitals could possibly use the lens I have, maybe with an adapter?
Does anyone know are some lens' interchangeable on some digitals? Like I said I haven't even looked, just had a quick thought and question.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Suz

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

alright you guys I'm just catching up on this thread.....and find myself in need of a new tripod, too. I want stabilty, a quick release mount (perhaps even a spare for a second camera), flip lock legs, one that will allow me to get close to the ground and it would be nice if it was somewhat compact.

I've been in places where wind is an issue, too. (for the tripod and I both---but that's a discussion for another thread)I really struggled at Zion with the moving water and the long shutter times. The ultralight/ultracheap tripod that I've been using is a good way to save weight in the pack but I'm realizing it's just not providing the stability.....so I'm following along with your comments and find them helpful....keep them coming. I'm not afraid to spend the money----just don't want a closet full of 15 tripods! Where can I try out some of these tripod gems? Tempe Camera?

Michelle---if you have really old lenses---not likely.....I believe some of the newer technology allows the integration you've asked about. Guy at Tempe Camera has been very helpful to me and a few other people I know. You might take a trip one day to chat with him.

My next question is about sharpening software and tips to the fabulous extreme sharp shots. What's the market offering?
Digital Sherpa

PostPosted: 10/28/2007, 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Michelle - All of the lenses I have will work on recent Nikon film bodies. Most of the majors (Canon, Nikon, etc.) use proprietary mounts on their bodies, which is why you might see the same third party lens, like a Tamron, in both a Nikon and a Canon mount. Agree with Suz, take your stuff to Tempe Camera and they'll try the lens on a digital body they have onsite.

Suz, since you're in the mood to spend... I highly recommend quick release systems from Really Right Stuff. Quality equipment. I'm using their B2 LR II quick release mounted on a Markins ballhead, although you could mount it on other ballheads as well. RRS makes a great ballhead that's very small and lightweight. Arca Swiss is another popular model.

If you go with the RRS quick release they of course make the plates you'll need to attach to your camera. Lots to choose from. I went with the L bracket so I can quickly place the camera in either a portrait or landscape orientation. It's expensive, but it keeps the camera centered over the tripod instead of flipping it out to the side with the ballhead.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/index.html
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 10/28/2007, 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Michelle,
I had the same question regarding my bag of old Zuiko lenses (Olympus camera) so this thread triggered a google search. It appears Olympus makes an adaptor ring for the old lenses to fit their new digitals. Maybe Canon does the same.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 10/29/2007, 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your input. When I have time and some spare cash, I'll have to start looking at this. Appreciate the input.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: