ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Any Toyota mechanics among us??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 10/24/2007, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Any Toyota mechanics among us?? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suddenly catching when shifting into 4th gear;also reverse sometimes grinding when trying to engage( not always). All other gears are fine ... Cluth? Sinchro?? Old '89 6cyl, fuel inj.with only 140k on it and runs like a champ. Any ideas?? Confused
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 10/24/2007, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Clutch slave cylinder maybe. Check to see that the reservoir (clutch master cylinder) is full.

What model Toyota?

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/24/2007, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hate to say it, and it could be a possible clutch cylinder problem, but it sounds more like syncros in trans are getting a bit worn. Try waiting a few more seconds with the clutch in before putting into reverse or 4th. Let things spin down a bit. If that seems to help, then it's going to take a bit to change your habits.

I can only imagine what a trans overhaul would run at the neighborhood rip-off trans shop. Rolling Eyes
You can add a clutch, and whatever else they deem bad to that. Probably motor and trans mounts... etc etc.
Daryl

PostPosted: 10/24/2007, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Check the fluid level first. If it's low you may have a leak. Also adjust the clutch out further for more throw if the level is okay and try it. I think you do that at the pedal on your car. If your clutch is not moving far enough it can cause problems like this.

How is the free play on the clutch pedal? it should only move about 3/4 inch before encountering resistance.

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If the slave (or the clutch master cylinder) is leaking they both should be replaced. Leaks in the hydraulic system can be in hoses or lines but usually result from age of internal rubber sealing parts in the slave cylinder. A leaking clutch or brake master cylinder might be leaking into the passenger compartment. Check the carpet or floormat for evidence of leakage.
It is also possible that there might be no evidence of leakage. This is because a master cylinder might have an internal leak. The test for an internal leak is to pump the clutch pedal and hold it to the floor while starting the engine. If the clutch slowly begins to engage, there is an internal leak.

Pedal adjustment >>

Pedal Free-Play

Measure the clutch pedal free play and pushrod play by pressing on the clutch pedal with your finger and until resistance is felt. The clutch free play should be between 0.197-0.591 inch (5-15mm). Inadequate free play wears all parts of the clutch releasing mechanisms and may cause slippage. Excessive free play may cause inadequate release and hard shifting of gears.

If necessary, adjust the free play and pushrod play as follows:

Loosen the lock nut and turn the master cylinder push rod while depressing the clutch pedal lightly with your finger until the free play and pushrod play is correct.

Tighten the lock nut.

Re-check the pedal height.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If the clutch actuator cylinders appear to be okay, and the wait a couple of seconds before shifting thing seems to work, I'd suggest draining the transmission lube and replace it with some decent stuff. Probably the best stuff around is GM's Syncro-mesh fluid. No, it doesn't matter that it's a Toyota. Yes, it's a tad expensive, but worth it.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow...thanks all!I wanted to go to West Fork today, but wondered if driving is ok..seems fine on highways. Will try all you suggested...will stop by shoptoday to have everything checked. BTW it is a 4wd 5 spd.extra cab 1989. Not looking forward to $$$.Hope it is the lesser of the evils!
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BTW, Tri-City Transmission on Rio Salado east of McClintock in Tempe. Really know their stuff.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If needed, the M.C. should run in the $60. range and the slave about $30.
Labor and fluid would be additional. I'd suppose about an hour to an hour-and-a-half for the labor.

I second the Tri-City recommendation, and have always recommended them for standard (stick) transmissions, but I understand that the shop changed hands last fall. Hopefully the hired help remained and is up-to-snuff.
As a former tranny-shop owner, I know that a good/great standard transmission guy is hard to find and keep.

GeorgAz

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks again ,all!! Love my truck!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gee George all this motor talk, do you understand what they are talking about? I know I've heard the terms and such from my dad and bro's, but haven't a real clue as to what they all said... Shocked
But I do know it is not a good thing and can be an expensive proposition.
I'd cut & paste some of the suggestions to take with me to the shop and try to sound like I knew a little something about what you are talking about. Maybe that would help you not get ripped off quite as much. But I think I'd try some of the other suggestions and if need be the recommended shop... at least you may have a chance.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Daryl

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GeorgAz wrote:
Thanks again ,all!! Love my truck!

I'm on my 5th toyota truck (86 and 89 pick up, 93 and 95 4runner, and now a 2005 tacoma). The first four were all standard transmission. Only one needed a new clutch before 120K miles, the others were all going strong past 140K when I sold them. Never had any tranny problems. I did run into a leaky master cylinder twice and had to adjust it a few times.

Overall they have been great to me. Never stranded, no big repairs other then replacing a clutch once.

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not to worry, Michelle.. I do know what they're talking about...Can't fix it myself, unfortunately, but know the turf! Wink
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Had it looked at and clutch bled...didn't get it on the lift yet, but they think it's a pressure plate/issue rather than synchros or tranny... Still gotta yank all the 4wd stuff off and looking at about $7/800. Waaaahhhh
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bummer.
Did you drive it after they bled the MC? How did it shift?

Here's a decent article on the operation of the components. >> http://www.automotivearticles.com/123/Clutch_Operation_Explained.shtml

kurt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: