ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
technical vs. non-technical

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 10/3/2007, 9:04 pm    Post subject: technical vs. non-technical Reply to topic Reply with quote

What's the difference? Does non-technical indicate climbs that don't require ropes, harness, bells, and whistles?

Can ya tell I'm not a rock climber? Laughing
pfredricks

PostPosted: 10/3/2007, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

that's pretty much the difference

...although everyone's opinion about what is technical or not is somewhat subjective
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/4/2007, 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We had this issue come up in the Southern Arizona Hiking Club a few years ago. (They finally had to ban club-sponsored roped climbs due to a couple of incidents. They carry insurance, and it was going to be prohibitively expensive to insure for roped climbs.)

To a rock climber, technical means use of a lot of hardware, if I'm not mistaken. Chocks, pitons, mechanical ascenders, etc. To a rock climber a simple rappel, or a simple rope-assisted climb with one anchor and a belay is NOT considered technical.

But to the hikers in SAHC, any use of a rope was considered "technical." This became confusing when there were actual experienced rock climbers in the middle of the discussion, because in rock climbing the terminology is much more specific.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 10/4/2007, 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
To a rock climber a simple rappel, or a simple rope-assisted climb with one anchor and a belay is NOT considered technical.
But to the hikers in SAHC, any use of a rope was considered "technical." This became confusing when there were actual experienced rock climbers in the middle of the discussion, because in rock climbing the terminology is much more specific.

The climbers in Tucson must have been trying to be difficult when it came to the use of the term "technical".
Most climbers consider any climb where a rope is used to be technical. It really is as simple as that.
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 10/4/2007, 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I basically agree with Matt. My understanding is that anytime you "set protection" it is technical. I imagine you could use a rope without "setting protection" but that sort of defeats the purpose of using the rope. Why use the rope if it's not secure? I want protection not psychological comfort.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/4/2007, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:

The climbers in Tucson must have been trying to be difficult when it came to the use of the term "technical".
Laughing

Cute! Hadn't thought of that!

I'll tell you, I'm glad the club banned the use of ropes, though. I witnessed some pretty scary stuff where the people had no business doing what they were doing. Little old ladies who wanted all the peaks on the club's list. (Like birders with their bird list--peakbaggers with their peak list. You know the type.) Back then these club list peaks included Babo, Cathedral, Thimble, etc. And there was this guy leading the roped hikes who was basically a putz. He took a lady off belay without telling her he had done so, and she fell and got hurt. Luckily not terribly hurt, but she had to go to the hospital.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 10/4/2007, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've heard pretty much what Matt said but wonder if technical would be better defined as anything that is rated 5.0 or above. After all, there are people who free climb stuff that would curl most people's toes to do in a harness. That means a climb might be technical depending on who is climbing.
threedogz

PostPosted: 10/4/2007, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I thought technical hiking/climbing/biking meant bringing a laptop with... Laughing
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/5/2007, 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Laughing
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/5/2007, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

threedogz wrote:
I thought technical hiking/climbing/biking meant bringing a laptop with... Laughing

Cracked Up

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: