ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Reavis Updates and Such

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/1/2007, 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reavis Updates and Such Reply to topic Reply with quote

Went backpacking over the weekend to Reavis and visited with Elisha. Know several of you are heading that way soon.

Road- not bad, high clearance

Apples- none Pears- none; frost must of got everything in the Spring

Trail- good shape; grown in a bit going up the hill from Rogers

WATER- This was very DISHEARTENING and SHOCKING, never thought I would see the day.

Reavis Creek has water in it AND IS FLOWING for about a quarter mile or so before you get to the Fireline/Reavis creek crossing to the crossing. Water flows a short distance in minimal amount beyond Reavis/FIreline crossing.
It is bone dry not a drop or water beyond that all the way to Reavis Gap Trail crossing, which used to have the best flow of anywhere. Not one single drop of water in the creek

Don't know if it resurfaces somewhere beyond Reavis Gap didn't go that way to check it out.

Grass- some grass especially around the old stables is 5 to 6 feet tall.

Bugs- nothing Saturday some no-see ums Sunday

Weather- stocking hat and heavy jacket at night sleeping out under.

Sky- utterly phenomenal, Milky Way was very prominent, stars unbelievable, moon didn't rise until late.

Company- Four whitetail and one big Tom Turkey all in camp.

Randy have you ever seen Reavis Creek dry like I explained?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/1/2007, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That doesn't sound to good. Since I don't know where the gap trail comes in at,
Is the flowing water on the North or South side of the ranch area?
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/1/2007, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

South side of the Ranch as you approach from Rogers Trough TH
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/1/2007, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info maybe in the area soon if not the Pinto Creek area.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/1/2007, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well thanks for the update Kent, hopefully with the cooler temps it may revive a bit?
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/4/2007, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Appreciate the Reavis report, Kent. I'm heading out there with some friends from work next weekend to do a little recon before the GHOTM.

Haven't been visiting the ranch for that long, but I never thought the creek would ever be that low. I'll dig around when I'm there to see if any options.
Even still, I've schlepped large water containers much farther than a 1/4 mile before. That's for sure.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 10/4/2007, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heat, I've seen it dry near the ranch but there were pools and spots both near Fireline Trail and near the old wagon which is about 1/4 mile south of the gap trail. It has been a very dry year.

BTW, always wanted to do the Pine Creek "route" from the Fireline Trail to the Gap Trail. Dunno why, it just seemed "interesting" like maybe it was a Salado or Sinagua place way back when....
Javelina Scotty

PostPosted: 10/5/2007, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heat,

Never got a clarification on this but I have been told that the apples grow on a two year cycle. Last year I was in there twice after Thanksgiving and the apples were all over the ground(most rotten) and some good ones up high. Ocotber would have been the time to get good apples. Also, the amount of bear sign that was in there was absolutely amazing. Cool that you saw a turkey. Always lots of coues deer can be seen. Hope to make it in there in Dec. That is one of my favorite areas. Very Happy
rayhiker

PostPosted: 10/5/2007, 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the apple orchard on Abbey's Way in the Anchas? I was there last fall and was very impressed by the apples there -- better quality than Reavis Ranch.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/5/2007, 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In Sierra Ancha, and yes. There is a bit of apple tree orchard left in Peterson Ranch. You can also chat with the fellas up at the old Murphy ranch and they will likely give some apple juice to ya.

It was this time last year when I came in on the Gap trail that I didnt see much water up there. Its no surprise that we're running out of water. Been happening for bout 100 years.

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: