ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Site Upgrades and Maintenance
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> ** Announcements ** Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 9/12/2007, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Site Upgrades and Maintenance Reply to topic Reply with quote

As many of you know, the site is hosted on my company's server and I've been able to keep it there for over four years at no cost to myself. As many of you also may know I am a hardware guy and not a software/web site programmer. This being said, the AZH site is in dire need of some upgrades and maintenance that I cannot do myself. I have chosen to have one of our employees do the upgrades for us in his own time which I must pay him for. I would love to run this through the company but since this is a personal site, I cannot. That being said, I am going to ask for something that I have wished not to have to do but I must at this time. I am going to openly ask for your donations to help me pay for the programming updates and security maintenance that we desperately need done to the site. Amongst which will include some type of anti-spammer update as well. I am not asking for much but just a small donation if possible to help me pay for my programmer's time to fix the site up for us. I full well expect that he can have us up and going securely in the next three to four weeks. If you would like to help me with this endeavor, you can send Paypal to gtgsstuff(at)gmail.com . If you are uncomfortable with Paypal or wish to donate in some other way, then you can email me or PM me through the site for other means. Any funds not spent on the upgrade will be put away for future development, get togethers and I will have a lottery type give away for all those that donated. the prize being a gift certificate to the outdoor related store/outlet/site of the winner's choice. I appreciate your effort in your use and additions to the site and thank you all for your time.

Thanks,
GTG

PS
If this request seems out of line, please let me know.

GTG
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/12/2007, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG,

Thanks for posting "help needed"! Paypal on the way...
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/12/2007, 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll also donate an AZH T-Shirt to go to the winner drawn from those contributing in the size requested by the winner:

GTG to do the drawing for the winner once he's determined that all donations are in, or October 1, 2007, whichever occurs first.

Neither GTG or Hooli is eligible to win this T-Shirt. Crying or Very sad
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 9/12/2007, 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think it's a great idea. You should consider doing a raffle like 14ers.com did. Pretty good revenue generator to cover these kinds of expenses that are ongoing.

Will the T-Shirt be the upgraded version with Hooli's picture on the back? (Sure to be a collectors item!)
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/12/2007, 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

YH wrote:
I think it's a great idea. You should consider doing a raffle like 14ers.com did. Pretty good revenue generator to cover these kinds of expenses that are ongoing.

Will the T-Shirt be the upgraded version with Hooli's picture on the back? (Sure to be a collectors item!)

That can be arranged Razz
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
sbkelley

PostPosted: 9/12/2007, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
You should consider doing a raffle like 14ers.com did. Pretty good revenue generator to cover these kinds of expenses that are ongoing.

The way 14ers handled it was to collect all donations in one giant "pot". Some fraction of it (1/4, 1/3)? of it went to the website donations to cover costs like this, while the rest went towards the value of an REI giftcard for the winners (top 3 - but they have a lot more members). 1/4-1/3 doesn't sound like much, but the reasoning is that more people would probably donate if they knew they could have a chance at a big cash-in at REI. Seems to have worked.
GTG

PostPosted: 9/12/2007, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sbkelley wrote:
Quote:
You should consider doing a raffle like 14ers.com did. Pretty good revenue generator to cover these kinds of expenses that are ongoing.

The way 14ers handled it was to collect all donations in one giant "pot". Some fraction of it (1/4, 1/3)? of it went to the website donations to cover costs like this, while the rest went towards the value of an REI giftcard for the winners (top 3 - but they have a lot more members). 1/4-1/3 doesn't sound like much, but the reasoning is that more people would probably donate if they knew they could have a chance at a big cash-in at REI. Seems to have worked.

That does sound like a good idea except that I'd let the winner pick their own place for the gift card. If the general consencus likes that idea, I'll do it.

GTG
roger

PostPosted: 9/12/2007, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Todd,

Any estimate of how much money you need?
IGO

PostPosted: 9/12/2007, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
beckett

PostPosted: 9/13/2007, 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Todd...on it's way.
Linda

P.S. This is one of those cases where "Thanks" just doesn't feel like enough.

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/13/2007, 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Todd is on his way to his Mom's house in Alabama. Rest assured all recieved donations are still in paypal where you placed them he is not skipping the country! I am sure that as soon as he gets internet access again he will answer your questions to the best of his ability Roger.

I want to shine!
GTG

PostPosted: 9/13/2007, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

roger wrote:
Todd,

Any estimate of how much money you need?

I am guessig that I will need topay $300.00 - $500.00 to do what I need with te site. Cash in reserve for upgrades and future changes would be nicetohave but not necessary.

I am curretly in ALA (Rocket City USA) visitig my mother, so Iternet is ot as regular as normal for me. I'll be in MS over the weekend and will have no access at that time unfortunately.

So far members have sent Paypal totaling $291.26 with a promise from others via mailed checks.

I really wish I didn't have to do this and I've held off doing it for months now but security issues are overwhelming right now. Thanks again for all of your help.

GTG
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 9/13/2007, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="GTG"]
roger wrote:
Todd...I really wish I didn't have to do this and I've held off doing it for months now but security issues are overwhelming right now. Thanks again for all of your help.
GTG
Uh, buddy, I've volunteered before, no? Pmail me and the snail-mail check is on the way.
Jim.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Suz

PostPosted: 9/17/2007, 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Todd, I gave Hank cash to pass to Diane up at the Canyon this next weekend to pass on to you. Hope that is workable.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/17/2007, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just saw this today, will send something when I get home. Or just charge us per post Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> ** Announcements ** All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: