ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Deadly Wall of Water in Sabino's Bear Canyon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 8/5/2007, 9:11 am    Post subject: Deadly Wall of Water in Sabino's Bear Canyon Reply to topic Reply with quote

One hiker is dead and a second is reported missing after a wall of water swept them away Saturday near Seven Falls in Sabino Canyon Recreation Area...
http://www.azstarnet.com/dailystar/195038
ck1

PostPosted: 8/5/2007, 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This was on the news last night as well. There were some lucky people out there.

"The Journey is the Destination"
IGO

PostPosted: 8/5/2007, 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Vegas now has bill-boards on the freeways warning about flash floods.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/5/2007, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was in tucson for a softball tournament this weekend and heard word of it. We had light sprinkles on and off both days. Sad, probably never new it was coming.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/6/2007, 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm telling you, it gave me a chill for sure. How many July and August days have I spent with my three young kids, back in the '90's, swimming at Seven Falls? A lot of days, is all I can recollect. Sheesh. I have even camped in the canyon below the Falls on my daughter's first backpacking trip when she was about 9, although it wasn't during the monsoon season.

By the way, if you follow the main trail up the canyon (not turning off to the left when you reach Seven Falls, but following the main Bear Canyon Trail) there are some good swimming holes above the falls that are never crowded. I think I'd wait until Sept. and the end of monsoon before going there, though!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 8/6/2007, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

After all the the major fires there have been so many rock slides appear. I pointed that out to the pilot a year or two ago and now he always comments on all of them. There are many where their used to be one or two. I don't know if anything is the same up there. The water is rolling boulders now and lots of them. Old pools have filled in some places and the silt is way different than ten years ago in a flash situation. Still there have been deadly flashes over the years in many of the canyons as the terrain is so steep, canyons narrow and the watershed huge. I have gone hiking in some risky times but as time goes on, I get a little more careful. This last one is shocking but thinking about some poor souls swept away in a wall of attacking water is alway unsettling.

I will say the San Pedro is broiling with water and it is so green and damp in there. The buzzworms are out and looking very healthy. A photographer friend made me walk point through the thick stuff after a big one popped up a couple feet from him when we got in waist high grass, a tiny narrow trail cutting through. It rained of and on all day and again for a couple of hours today. We probably got another couple inches! They closed Sabino above the first bridge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: